SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me decide for ODC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide for ODC Login/Join 
Picture of Angel King
posted
Hi friends, I am in the market for a new off duty handgun, and can think of no better place than to ask for your opinions. Last year, I transitioned my duty pistol from a Glock 22 to a 9mm Beretta Brigadier. I just shoot it so much better.

As my off duty, I had carried the Glock 23 .40 for about six years and was ver comfortable with it. Wanting to transition my ODC to a nine, I began shopping around. My original intention was to simply get a G-19 and be done with it. To me, it's about as perfect an OD gun as they come. However, with the Sig P320 compact, I began to wonder if I should expand my horizons after 20 years carrying Glocks.

Please help me decide why the 320 is a better option than the proven and tried 19. If in fact it is.

Just so you know, my ODC Glock holster has been the Glock factory injection molded plastic thing that belts up close to the body. That $10 no frills holster is more comfortable than many I have tried. So, holster choices that use a belt loop and tuck it close to the body are a must of I go the 320 route.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Question:
Which one for off duty carry?

Choices:
Sig P-320 Compact
Glock 19 Gen4

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
In your case, G19, no question.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Have you shot a 320 to know if it works?

If you know you're all good with a g23, the g19 is a logical choice so long as you shoot it well.

Concealing is only one component. Shooting well is the key. Carry whichever you shoot better, then get holsters and clothing to support that.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
I have not shot the 320. I was going this week to handle one that a local shop is holding for me with no obligation to buy. As long as the grip, trigger and size works, I would just practice until it became second nature.

I'm a bit concerned after reading a few reliability posts. Not having handled one, i don't know how sturdy the internal removable chassis system is. However, I don't think the military would select it if not extremely reliable.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my P320 but for manual of arms sake have you considered a PX4 compact.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
G19, hands down. Or a Beretta option if you could since then it would be like your duty weapon.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
G19, hands down. Or a Beretta option if you could since then it would be like your duty weapon.

I would love to carry the 92fs Inox compact. Except that it's still too large and bulky as a 24/7 gun.

My wife has the Storm 9 full size. Never liked it.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying Glocks for around 20 years. My issued pistol is a g17. I had a P320 compact and really liked it but I just couldn't shoot it as well as Glocks. I guess all these years and training I am just used to the Glocks. I just sold the p320 and bought a g19. I'm happy as could be.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
You've carried the 23 for six years, might as well stick with the 19.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glock is a good choice. but I will second the motion for the compact Beretta.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with you guys. I think I'll stick with the 19. There are some features of the 320 I don't care for.

The 92fs compact rail is near impossible to find right now anyways. When I find one, I'll get one for times I don't mind carrying the extra weight.

Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angel King:
I tend to agree with you guys. I think I'll stick with the 19. There are some features of the 320 I don't care for.

The 92fs compact rail is near impossible to find right now anyways. When I find one, I'll get one for times I don't mind carrying the extra weight.

That sounds like a smart plan. Sometimes I wish I had picked up a Glock early on so wasn't so picky about striker fired guns and grip angles. My back doesn't appreciate it when I carry heavy guns for CCW anymore. Glock has so much going for it. I really like my P320 Compact but it hasn't reached Glock status for reliability, aftermarket, parts availability etc. There are 4 generations of Glock pistols but the P320 is still getting tweaked. As a matter of fact they just changed the slide a bit on the P320 C after my January 2017 model. My best friend went from a Sig on duty to a Beretta Storm in retirement. I don't care for the Storm either except it tames 40 really well with the barrel design. Good luck and stay safe.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
So, after some research, this is what I ended up with:

Gen4 Glock 19
Speer Gold Dot 115 gr.
Blackhawk Serpa Holster

In case you're wondering, I chose the GD 115gr. After seeing it was a top performer in that weight with not being +P+.

In my humble opinion, I don't see the point of carrying a comfortable light weight handgun and filling it up with more lead (147 gr. Duty ammo)than needed to do the job.

Picture of 44s Rock
posted Hide Post
I have both the G19 and P320C. I carry the 320 with a 10 round mag in a Blackrhino IWB holster and almost forget it is there. That being said, my S&W M&P9, to me, is the best of both worlds from Glock and Sig and I actually shoot it better. I also uses the same holsters as the G19.

Posts: 7 | Location: Eastern WA. | Registered: November 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer the 124+P gold dots in 9mm, that's all I carry at this point. For what it's worth, it seems to be the most universally recommended 9mm carry round of late.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 44s Rock:
I have both the G19 and P320C. I carry the 320 with a 10 round mag in a Blackrhino IWB holster and almost forget it is there. That being said, my S&W M&P9, to me, is the best of both worlds from Glock and Sig and I actually shoot it better. I also uses the same holsters as the G19.

I used to own the M&P9C. It was very easy to carry and reliable. I just felt the grip was s bit short as my pinky finger didn't have a good grip. Great gun though.

Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
I personally prefer the 124+P gold dots in 9mm, that's all I carry at this point. For what it's worth, it seems to be the most universally recommended 9mm carry round of late.

I ordered some Federal HST 124 gr. +P's last night.

I feel the Gold Dots are right up there with the Winchester Rangers/PDX as the top 3. Any will do the job well.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Moving from a G23 to the P320 in 9mm was a little awkward at first, but I love the gun. The grip feels overly round to me, I am shooting a medium compact, trigger is excellent. I think Mr. Jones made a very good assessment of the P320, in that you can be a bit sloppy and still get excellent results shooting it; very forgiving weapon.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post