SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US vs German P226 LDC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US vs German P226 LDC Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
My affair with the LDC continues. Big Grin

For those who are not familiar, LDC = Long Dust Cover.

A while back, when SIG NH released their own LDC, I bought one (natural stainless). This model was made and destined for the German market. That's why SIG NH put triple serial numbers on. Also, the frame was marked with "US Year made" and "DE". Interestingly, I've seen one with just a single serial # (on the frame). For whatever reasons, SIG kept more than a few of them states side. So, a few folks ended up with this model. They had both the all natural stainless (white) version and the all Nitron one (black). I also bought the black one subsequently. And, bad luck struck me twice, as they both had atrocious triggers. I wrote about them in the past. They were worse than a typical production SIG's trigger. The white then had a trip to Robert Burke for his Carry Level Action job + QTR (Quick Trigger Reset) and the result was superb. The black one eventually received the Competition Level Action job + QTR, and it turned out even better.

Fast forward to the present, I had a chance to buy a German made LDC. So, I bought a black one and a white one, just to make four of a kind. Big Grin

So, how is the American LDC different from its German cousin?

- The American has triple serial numbers. Interestingly, the German only has double (on frame and slide). It, of course, has the date code and required proofs. The German gun also has the QR codes on all 3 major parts (frame, slide, barrel).
- The lettering on the American is deeper/more pronounced.
- The slide cocking serrations on the German is more defined and cut deeper.
- Hammer: American has the skeletonized trigger hammer. German has the regular solid one.
- Grips frames are cut slightly differently. The American frame cannot use any of the P226 grips that I've tried.
- Grips: American uses the one piece E2 grip. German uses the 2-panel E3 grips.
- Folks with small hands will like the E2 grip better. The E3 grip feels larger, since it has the bigger hump in the back.
- DAK cut out: American has it. German doesn't.
- Main spring: American uses the shorter E2 housing. German uses the longer one, with a hole on the bottom threaded for the aluminum jet funnel.
- Trigger: It's unfair to compare the stock German to the Burke's LDC. It is a step behind Robert's trigger, but is quite good actually.
German LDC:
- DA at 8lbs 11oz, and smooth
- SA at 3lbs 4oz and breaks like glass (zero creep)

Robert's Carry Level LDC:
- DA at 7 lbs 7 oz, even smoother; also has a shorter travel compared to the stock gun, thanks to the QTR
- SA at 3 lbs and breaks like glass

Similarities?
Sights, bull barrel, P229 white recoil spring, physical trigger, mags. The upper assemblies are interchangeable. Both come with factory SRT. But, the Americans now have the QTR from Burke.

Miscellaneous:
- Notice the new serial numbering system from SIG Germany. It no longer uses the "U" prefix.
The number starts with "71" (their code for a German made SIG). Then, the model number ("226" in this case). And, last is the number specific for the gun.
- In addition to the typical accessories, this is the first time I see SIG Germany includes a cleaning kit with their guns.

Have not shot the German, yet, but here are some pics.

Pics of the American LDC for comparison:

And, finally, here is a family portrait of all 4 siblings. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I just cried a little.....

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Love the tasteful and out of the way import marks.

The difference in slide markings is like night and day. I know it doesn't affect function, but one is like a fine ballpoint pen and the other like a kid with a crayon. Wink

Thanks for the photos and details!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From time to time, SF causes me to fall into spasms of uncontrolled lust and envy. This would be one of those times!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Wow, very nice. I wonder why the Germans have a different main spring, strut assembly? The E3 grips look better to me with the screws, do they feel like E2's? Thanks for sharing, great photos.

Posts: 1552 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
One of those with a stainless steel frame would absolutely tear it up in USPSA.
Sig ever make such an animal?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Hah, mutual admiration society Wink You beat me by a half hour Cool Super comparisons. I thought another difference between the two was the extended mag release, but I guess that only comes with the Supermatch. You're going to enjoy shooting the German ones! Hard to believe there's nearly a 5,000 difference in our S/N's.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Your poor 228's will be so jealous seeing those 226's in your safe 12131 Razz

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spectacular photography, as usual!

Love the skeletonized hammers on the Americans.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Nice LDCs Q. It’s interesting to see them side by side. If given a choice, I think I’d have to go with the German.

Now, I thought I read somewhere that you were thinning the herd?? Cool

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why are the US ones marked DE?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting comparison. The machining on the German model looks a lot crisper.

Posts: 539 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eagerly awaiting the time when you have enough LDCs to spell out "LDC" with pistols and you start Karma-ing them out...

Big Grin

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Oh those are gorgeous, with a spectacular write up.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Wow, very nice. I wonder why the Germans have a different main spring, strut assembly? The E3 grips look better to me with the screws, do they feel like E2's? Thanks for sharing, great photos.

The German guns always had the long plastic main spring seat, after the old metal one was replaced. The E2 and E3 feel the same, due to the similar texture.
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

They're all stainless.
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
Now, I thought I read somewhere that you were thinning the herd?? Cool

You stumble once in a while. Big Grin But, my shedding rate has been much faster than the acquiring rate.
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why are the US ones marked DE?

They are destined for Germany. I guess SIG Germany and SIG NH agreed to have the marking done in advance?
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
Eagerly awaiting the time when you have enough LDCs to spell out "LDC" with pistols and you start Karma-ing them out...
Big Grin

Ouch! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I wish we could talk Sig into making a few long dust cover guns without the rail.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q I know how you like to be precise. You have a small typo in your writeup. You refer to the skeletonized trigger.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Q I know how you like to be precise. You have a small typo in your writeup. You refer to the skeletonized trigger.

Thanks, my friend. Smile

Q

Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
That is an embarrassment of riches !

Need any new friends to help shoot them ??

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

They're all stainless.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Q.
This is the first I've learned of these awesome pistols so forgive my ignorance.
Absolutely stunning pistols by the way.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post