SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Blue Steel and Walnut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Steel and Walnut Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
Short Story - I bought a Colt Detective Special in .38 Special made in 1965.

Colt Detective Special by Dave Steier, on Flickr
quote:

Long Story - When things started to get bad in the '60's, my dad bought a Shotgun. A few years later he traded that to a friend for a brand new Colt Cobra (the old one with the lightweight frame). That was the first handgun I ever shot out on our farm. Dad had his own company, "Southern Charm Construction Company" He never believed in marketing, but one year he bought a BUNCH of these knives in the picture below. He always carried one. Most of them were given away but I still have two of them. He was also a smoker until he gave it up (another story). When he smoked he carried this lighter. It originally had some company's logo on it. Dad scratched it out. He said he "wasn't getting paid to advertise for them free! So I paired the lighter and knife up with the 1965 Colt to remind me of my Dad!

More "back story". After Carol's father passed away, she was given the revolver he kept in his pocket. It was a S&W Model 30 in .32 S&W Long. It came with the Packmeyer holster above. It wasn't a perfect fit. When I examined the holster, it said "Colt" on the back. Since Bea's father's gun spends most of it's time in our safe, I tried the Detective Special in the holster and it fits like a dream!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I still love old revolvers. Something about them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Like stepping into a time machine. She's a looker !

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure miss my Mk III DS, bought heavily used by a previous owner, but brought to specs by a local gunsmith back in the early 1980's.

It was identical to the one Marzy posts pictures of every so often in threads like this.

Rolan, don't ever panic and sell it like I did when I ran into some hard financial times. Frown

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story - and picture! Gotta love the DS.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
What a great heirloom, congrats!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm feeling this a lot. Nice piece and great story.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
That's a really great grouping to go with a great story.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Neat story. Oh and BTW, the gun is pretty cool, too.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Blue steel and walnut go together like biscuits and gravy.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Nice Colt and story!

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Nice story and revolver! I love the well worn grips. They bring to mind the man who carried and shot it. You may want to find some period ammo to go with it though. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a newer one at the Western Auto store for 160 new .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Great gun. Enjoy it.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet revolver and great story.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post