SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for holster input. What is out there that I haven't found yet? P226 Legion SAO RX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for holster input. What is out there that I haven't found yet? P226 Legion SAO RX Login/Join 
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted
Title says it pretty much. I picked up an SAO 226 Legion SAO with the Romeo1. Looking for a concealment holster. Kydex or leather, but prefer Kydex.

Everybody lists the 226 but it seems that most will not clear the ambi safety on the left, and the molding around the trigger on some of the better kydex does not seem to want to work well with the flat SAO trigger.

I have found a couple of places that build for this specific gun, but hope to find others here who have found something that works well with THIS gun.

These days ya can't swing a dead cat without knocking down Kydex holster makers, so I am sure there are many I have not looked into yet.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone may have.

BT

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I like the Garret Industries holster for mine. With some adjustment of the retention screws it'll also fit my MK25.

free image uploader

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
That's the feedback I am looking for!

Thank you sir! (making a sexist assumption I guess)

I will take a look at those.

Anybody else?

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
thanks for this post, I'm seriously thinking about getting a P226 SAO and did not think about the safety issue,,,, since I already have two decock only 226s.... and multiple holsters....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BlackPoint Tactical makes a kydex Mini WING™ IWB holster for the P226 SAO which can be ordered with an RDS cut.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 124 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a leather pancake for my P365 from Tucker Leather. Tucker makes a leather-lined Kydex holster. The leather will certainly eliminate the wear and tear kydex can put on a gun. Their holsters are top-notch.

Posts: 24 | Location: NW Chicago Suburb | Registered: September 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks!

Tucker doesn't list the 226 SAO, but thanks anyway.

Looks like the Mini Wing is an IWB, and I am looking for OWB, but I forgot to mention that before. My bad.

On the other hand BlackPoint has a Sig Exclusive OWB also that looks really good. I had not seen these at all.

I think this one goes on the short list!

Many Thanks!

Keep them coming if there are any others.

Thanks,
BT

posted Hide Post
I have no trouble putting my legion SAO with milled RMR in my normal 226 blade-tech. FWIW>. In my experience the normal problem on these is not the safety or the optic, but the channel for the front sight which is sometimes too low for a suppressor height. I also have a red hill tactical holster that works fine, but I did order it for the higher sights.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a Blade Tech to try, but I have those for other guns and have had good luck with them.

Yes, the sights were an issue on most, but the holsters I did try that would clear the sights, had issues with the safety IF it was covered.

The one thing I found that did work and will suffice for range use for now was of all things a BlackHawk Serpa for a P220.

In any case, I ordered a BlackPoint OWB about a hour ago.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I appreciate the input.

Thanks,
BT

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
So how do you like that SAO P226 so far?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
Very much. I will try to answer that as well as why I am going this route.

Very old school here...

I started out with and have always been a huge fan of the 1911. Not every 1911, because I am a realist. Any 1911 will not be 100% as built by whatever mfg, run on any round, and never need some maintenance. BUT, the ones I owned, tweaked to run on proper ammunition, and then absolutely knew I could rely on, well, kinda like a race car. They are not for daily commuters, but when you know how to make them run, they are wonderful machines. I enjoy them, shooting them, tweaking them, and keeping them 100%

There are certainly a lot of exceptions to the following statements as I know I am going to wrinkle some panties....

Then some things changed.

First, design developments that gave us extremely reliable, high capacity, and relatively inexpensive pistols with very low maintenance requirements. People entered the shooting community and came to expect that as the norm (as they should have) as well as begin, more than ever before IMO, to look at defensive firearms as a piece of jewelry / status symbol instead of a tool. We have progressed into colors, sculpted slides, engraving personal mascots and symbols (skulls, Punisher, 3 percenter, Molon Labe, etc.) on them to impress our peers and intimidate..... uhhhh, somebody I guess. For many of us it became less about learning to drive the tool to perform the tasks it was meant for, and more about making it our own statement declaring the badasses we think ourselves to be. And, it was fun to take pictures of our pristine tactical tools, sometimes with our pristine Harley, or our unscratched 4X4.

I too am very guilty of the picture part.

The good that came out of this was the extremely reliable, high capacity, and relatively inexpensive part of the change.

Second, the LE community latched on to the newer more cost effective guns like a politician latches on to taxpayer dollars, as they should have. Many departments dictated what your could and could not carry off duty, and they were not fans of diversity in hardware. I understand that reasoning as well.

So, I got used to polymer striker guns. From the G22 to the G21 to now the G17. Off duty... G26, G30, G43.

However, recent SOP changes now allow me (within reason) to carry what I want off duty. That immediately caused me to want to get back to SAO, but time and training made me not want to go back to an 8 round single stack, as well as a new respect for the 9mm after a lot of ammunition development over the years.

The P365 became my backup and hot weather off duty. It is the first Tiny-9 I ever actually liked and shot as well as my G19.

So, now that I am back from my round the world trip that nobody asked to go on... sorry.

I started looking for a quality SAO with some capacity. I tried double stack 1911's. Never warmed up to any I tried. Proprietary this, proprietary that when it came to parts, grip safety on the fatter grips was an issue for me. Too many downsides. I tried several other brands / flavors of SAO's and started a short list. Then I was offered a certifiable good deal on this one. I would not normally have considered the Legion primarily due to expense and the "club membership" marketing approach, but the price made it a no-brainer. Unfired, with all the trimmings.

The trigger is wonderful. It is not up there with, say a Wilson or a NightHawk, but it is a lot better out of the box than any out of the box 1911 I have ever personally had. Not too light, very crisp and getting better with use, and excellent reset. Right off the bat on the first range trip I was shooting doubles like it was one of my 1911s. It does not like cheap 115gr WW Whitebox ball accuracy wise, but when I run my duty round through it I can rest my forearms on the bench and ping 8" steel plates at 100yrds with extreme regularity. I have not shot groups with it at all yet, but running it hard on steel silhouette targets makes a lot of very closely clustered center mass black spots as quickly as I can properly trip them, and that is getting better by small increments every time I take it. I am going to start using my timer next week to get a base line.

Grips are good to go as is. Safety levers are easy to use without being big enough to get in the way. Slide release is a little hard to get to being "low profile" and right in front of the safety, but this is a non issue for me as I don't use it except occasionally to lock the slide OPEN before disassembly. Some have said the mag release is hard to get to without changing their grip. I can see that being the case, but I have not had the problem myself.

I do wish it had the flat true 1913 rail like the MK does, but that also is a minor thing.

The Romeo is doing its job, and so far it seems that the auto shutoff feature is working just fine on it. I still prefer the RMR in use, but the Romeo1 has some advantages over the RMR. For one, changing the battery. The little plastic cover it came with is useless.

The gun has been 100% reliable so far and other than being a little difficult to find proper concealment gear for it, the only real ding I have is the sharp edges on the mags. I am looking for some replacement base plates for the 3 Checkmate mfg Sig marked that it came with. That is if I can find some that don't have a skull or some super hero movie logo on them. :-)

Thanks,
BT

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
JM Custom Kydex has been known to make a few modifications for specific guns.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post