SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ75B, Storing with Cocked Hammer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ75B, Storing with Cocked Hammer Login/Join 
I am the
Darkside
Picture of Pistole226
posted
LGS has a used CZ75B "Military," it looks clean throughout, but previous owner stored it chamber empty, hammer cocked. Any concerns about having to replace the mainspring?

"The quick have their sleepwalkers, and so do the dead." Dieter Dengler, Rescue Dawn

Posts: 7787 | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about a “concern” per se, but if you go ahead and replace it you won’t have to worry about it. Sounds like a good find! I like my 3 (so far) CZ’s.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would hurt anything. Springs generally go bad from being cycled, not stored in one position or the other. People store/carry 1911's or BHP's cocked and locked for decades with no ill will or mainspring issues.

I have a CZ 75B SA and it's a great gun, terrific accuracy, ergonomics, balance, etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
No worries. I probably have a few different weights that will work if you need a new one. I think I have a 13lb, a 16lb and a 20lb mainspring. Let me know and I’ll drop one in the mail.

I’m guessing that was done to help make the slide easier to cycle if needed in a hurry. A CZ with the smaller slide profile and factory mainspring is slightly harder to rack than some.

Otherwise, they are readily available and can be had from multiple places. I’d replace all the springs myself on a used gun, and you could probably do that for $25.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any concerns about having to replace the mainspring?

I don't think so. The wear on a spring occurs when it is cycled, in this case every time the gun is fired and the hammer cocks and releases. Similarly, we don't worry about keeping magazines loaded for long periods of time. I'd give the hammer and sear some extra scrutiny, though. If OK with the seller, you can lock the slide back, then let it slam home on an empty chamber. (It won't hurt anything; you're only doing it once, not hundreds of times.) The hammer should stay fully cocked and not follow the slide down.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am the
Darkside
Picture of Pistole226
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great responses.

Thank you for the kind offer, Riley.

LGS wants $425 plus tax, pistol only comes with one factory ten rounder and no box or papers. I offered less, but he won't budge.

"The quick have their sleepwalkers, and so do the dead." Dieter Dengler, Rescue Dawn

Posts: 7787 | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post