SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did SIG make a stainless P229R?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did SIG make a stainless P229R? Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted
I saw a used P229R at a gun show today, which really looked and felt like it had been refinished in Robar NP3. But the sales guy said it was a factory finish. It wasn't an Elite or SAS or any other submodel. Does such a SIG exist? It was $629 and very tempting. Might go back and grab it.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
https://www.sigsauer.com/store...lite-compact-ap.html

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its also available with an alloy frame, but still looks the same.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p229-ase-compact.html

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
With SIG NH a limited run of anything is always a possibility, especially in the Cohen era but even before. But SIG also made the P229 Sport and Sport Stock models that I'm pretty sure are stainless framed guns. Those however usually sell for a lot more than $600, though I'm no expert when it comes to those guns.

There was a thread started a few months back that discussed these guns:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9020050034

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
I used to own a P229 Elite that was all stainless.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Did SIG make a stainless P229R?

I saw a used P229R at a gun show today, which really looked and felt like it had been refinished in Robar NP3. But the sales guy said it was a factory finish. It wasn't an Elite or SAS or any other submodel. Does such a SIG exist? It was $629 and very tempting. Might go back and grab it.

A railed P229 that is all stainless that is not the Elite model does not exist, as came from factory, as far as I know.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Obviously, he does not have the original case. So, whatever claim he makes is meaningless.

Btw, holding an all stainless SIG, you'd know instantly it is not an alloy frame gun. That is, if you already own an alloy frame SIG. There is about a 10 oz difference.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Test the frame with a magnet.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
They're heavy loaded !!!
But boy do they shoot nice !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Those wood grips look gorgeous on it.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
They do look nice.
Best for BBQ duty though.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
They do look nice.
Best for BBQ duty though.

That is absolutely beautiful.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
To me the Stainless Elite 229 is by far the best looking gun Sig has ever made. As GrumpyBiker notes, they’re heavy but man are they a joy to shoot.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, that just might take the place of the P226 LDC as my #1 SIG crush. Wow.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Test the frame with a magnet.

A magnet won't stick to alloy OR good quality stainless.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Guys, this was definitely not an Elite. No beavertail or checkered front strap. I'm leaning toward it being a refinished plain Jane P229R. Really looked and felt like NP3, which makes it a great buy at that price. So don't need it, though.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
I have a 229R that was a dealer exclusive through wholesaler RSR probably about 10 years ago. I don't remember exactly what they billed it as but it has a matte nickel finish. It came with factory Hogue rubber grips.

I can take some pics at lunch and see if its maybe the same animal?

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Here it is. What say you?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/724536592

The whole thing has been refinished. The dead giveaway is the barrel, the guide rod, the controls, and the extractor that are in white.

And, I still maintain my original statement, "A railed P229 that is all stainless that is not the Elite model does not exist, as came from factory".

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ask the guy to weigh the gun and show you the picture. Don't tell him what's supposed to weigh. An all SS P229 will weigh more than 40 oz empty.

Q