SIGforum
Finish wear

This topic can be found at:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1310039264

November 08, 2019, 02:50 AM
wellthought
Finish wear
What will wear the finish off first, leather or nylon holsters?
November 08, 2019, 06:09 AM
cslinger
Leather in my experience as it is more able to hold on to grit and what not in the holster. I actually feel leather will wear finish’s faster then kydex in many cases.

I’ve never used nylon holsters except for in the safe firearm storage/trigger covers but have never seen an issue.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
November 08, 2019, 10:55 AM
egregore
Think about how a razor strop works. The inside (typically the rough side) of a leather holster does the same thing. To prevent this it needs to be either lined with something smooth, or rough side out , which puts the smooth side against the gun. I assume "nylon" is a woven fabric, not molded plastic. Unless these are lined, this material is also an abrasive.
November 08, 2019, 12:15 PM
YooperSigs
I think it is about even, with a slight increase in wear with a leather holster. I have Kydex holsters that wear finishes, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 08, 2019, 03:40 PM
egregore
quote:
I have Kydex holsters that wear finishes, too.

What kind of wear? I would expect the edges and corners to get "burnished" a little bit.

If you carry, shoot and especially do a lot of practice draws with your gun, it doesn't matter what finish is on it or what your holster is made of. It will eventually get marked up. Nothing wrong with delaying it as long as possible, however.
November 08, 2019, 04:00 PM
Raptor23
Well, my experience using a leather Galco holster has had no noticeable effect on the finish, but I had a worn patch within a month of using a Kydex holster.

As to the point about a leather razor strop - the leather of it only serves to align any minor deflections to the edge or remove residual wire edge rollover due to sharpening. An abrasive compound has to be added to it in order to have a direct effect on the metal or finish itself.
November 08, 2019, 04:23 PM
YooperSigs
My full length Kydex holsters wear the finish on the slide near the muzzle and on both sides of the front of the trigger guard.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 08, 2019, 04:53 PM
az4783054
Either leather or kydex will wear the finish to some degree unless you place the pistol into the holster and never remove it. Wink

Most people clean their pistol but fail to clean the holster. Wipe it down with a damp cloth periodically and you'll be surprised at what is removed.
November 08, 2019, 05:29 PM
Sunset_Va
I have found leather tends to wear larger areas overall, vs where kydex wears at certain points.

I have leather holsters that never wear the polymer framed guns (frames) where kydex holsters for the same pistol do.

Best luck with Garret Industies Silent Thunder holsters, these are leather lined kydex holsters.

"az4783054
Picture of az4783054
posted November 08, 2019 04:53 PM Hide Post
Either leather or kydex will wear the finish to some degree unless you place the pistol into the holster and never remove it. Wink

Most people clean their pistol but fail to clean the holster. Wipe it down with a damp cloth periodically and you'll be surprised at what is removed."

^^^^^
This too.

美しい犬
November 08, 2019, 05:33 PM
Ryanp225
^^^Absolutely^^^

I wipe my kydex holsters out with a damp cloth every now and then and after many years and thousands of draws I still have no holster wear on my P09 or M&P's.