SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 1911, oil, grease or slide glide?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 1911, oil, grease or slide glide? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
What do you guys lube your Sig 1911 rails with? I should be getting my Nightmare shortly, I use slide glide on all my P series. Thanks!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
On my 1911s I use grease on the rails and oil on the lugs and around the muzzle, and a drop on the disconnector and one down in front of the cocked hammer. Reapply oil as needed to the barrel hood, muzzle, and let some run down the rails between strips/cleanings. YMMV

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my 1911 Nightmare, I first wiped it clean with alcohol, then, once dry, I wiped it completely with Lucas CLP. I grease with Lucas grease a la Flork. I put CLP down the barrel and wipe off. She runs as good as or better than my Ed Brown after more than 500 rounds.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only use oil on 1911’s as JMB intended.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Slide glide.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
On my 1911s I use grease on the rails and oil on the lugs and around the muzzle, and a drop on the disconnector and one down in front of the cocked hammer. Reapply oil as needed to the barrel hood, muzzle, and let some run down the rails between strips/cleanings. YMMV

More or less my method too.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
SlIDE GLIDE (Lite) and FP10.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do the following on all my 1911's. After field stripping and cleaning, I use grease on the rails, with oil in slide grooves, barrel, hammer. Once a year I do a detail strip and clean, grease the sear, light coat of oil on other internal parts.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Liberal amounts of frog lube, cycle a few times, the wipe off excess. A drop or two of oil as necessary on small parts. I figure that if it stays clean while being carried, fires reliabley, and sweats a little hot lube after a range trip, then it’s good to go.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
Liberal amounts of frog lube, cycle a few times, the wipe off excess. A drop or two of oil as necessary on small parts. I figure that if it stays clean while being carried, fires reliabley, and sweats a little hot lube after a range trip, then it’s good to go.

Have you ever shot it in temps below 40 degrees? Cuz the previous owner of my PPQ apparently used FL and even after I though I get it all off, it gummed up and malfunctioned. Never frog lube.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grease.

I use TW25B or M-Pro-7. I also use the Lucas grease.

On a few occasions I've used Aeroshell 5 because it was handy.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:

Have you ever shot it in temps below 40 degrees? Cuz the previous owner of my PPQ apparently used FL and even after I though I get it all off, it gummed up and malfunctioned. Never frog lube.

I have not, and given that I live in Phoenix, I am not likely to anytime in the future. However, that is good info to know, thanks!

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've heard and read complaints about FROG LUBE on other forums, but I have no personal experience with it. The reviews did reinforce my continued use of SLIDE GLIDE (Lite) for the rails and a quality oil for elsewhere.

DAN WESSON recommends FP10 for it's pistols. I tried it and liked it so it complements the Enos product. SLP2000 is another good oil lube. I am also in AZ so I want something that will last.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've always greased my Sig, Beretta and 1911 rails (even the 1911s whose manufacturers who only recommend oil). Since I normally take 2-3 pistols on each range trip, it's rare for any one gun to get more than 150-200 rounds before I clean and re-lube it, so I'm sure oil would work just as well. I've been using Slip 2000 products for a while now, including their EWL grease. It does what it's supposed to do and doesn't smell bad.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Lucas grease on the rails.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Grease.

I use TW25B or M-Pro-7. I also use the Lucas grease.

On a few occasions I've used Aeroshell 5 because it was handy.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Wilson Combat synthetic oil. It's thick enough to stay put yet more like oil than grease.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
I only use Lucas oil on all my guns anymore. Especially 1911's. I used to fall for the grease sales pitch and have found that a decent oil serves my purposes a lot better.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks! In the past, I've oiled 1911s as taught in boot camp. This is my 1st Sig 1911. It did come with grease on the rails, so I'll continue the practice.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My 1911s get lubed up like a Saigon whore on Saturday night.
Oil on the sear/fire control parts, grease like SlideGlide or Wilson Ulitma II grease, (really a VERY viscous oil), on the slide, barrel locking lugs...pretty much everywhere else.
If there's no snow in the state, I use a heavier grease, if colder, I switch to all oil.

I don't carry a 1911 anymore, so I don't really care if the lube migrates but it MUST stay there for the entire time I'm shooting.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught...if it slides use grease, if it rolls use oil. With some exceptions, but those are for the individual to decide.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post