SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there such a thing as too many?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there such a thing as too many? Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
I've been collecting guns for about 30 years now. For the longest time I told myself I was in search of the perfect carry gun/house gun combo. I now admit I just enjoy a variety of guns and can afford them. Lately I've been considering thinning the herd and focusing on mainly one platform. For those that have done this, any regrets?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Mostly depends on what you are selling. Were you going to sell the ones you may miss later for trading or something else.

Do I miss the SAO P220 and the P226 Elite Dark I used to have? No. Largely due in part because I traded them toward an X-Six.

If you have something like a Ladies Home Companion or a 1874 Sharps, yeah you might wish you hadn't sold them later on. If it is another AR or an average 1911, those would be easier to let go...

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my Gen2 Glock G19 when I mistakenly thought I could do a P229R better. I've since overcompensated and now own multiple G19s, including another Gen2, but that first one was MY G19, the one that wore all the marks and scrapes and wear that I put in it. Yeah there's regrets, even for a tool like a Glock. Then again I get pretty ornery when someone touches any of my Snap-On tools, so there ya' go...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rappa
posted Hide Post
As many of us have, I've bought and sold many guns over the years. I consolidated to 9mm for handguns and stayed that way for a long time, the only regrettable casualty of that consolidation was a '94 W.German P220. Have added\subtracted 9mm's over the years. I decided to expand again, adding 1 of each of my other fav calibers (.45ACP 1911, .357MAG 4" revolver). However, I'll always be a 9mm guy (have 8 of them: 3 S&W, 3 SIGS, Glock and KelTec) and am always on the lookout for them over any other pistol caliber.

Posts: 268 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have more than one for each year I've been on this dirt ball, long gun or short, and have only been buying for about 15 years. I don't know about too many, but sometimes I wonder what will become of them when my time is up.
Never sold one, so no regrets there. Kick myself for several I've passed on or just didn't have $ for.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have bought and sold guns over the years.. I used to have an awesome beretta collection with over 35 berettas...Unfortunately most of them got sold in a divorce. I focus on my main 3 go to brands..Sig, Beretta, and S&W...I don't care about caliber..I just want all metal guns...And yes I have a damn Glock...It is my department duty weapon that stays in the trunk of my patrol vehicle.

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always fear that I will regret getting rid of my guns sometime down the road so I only get rid of guns that are replaceable ("tool" type guns like glocks)

the Old HKs and sigs will probably make it to the grave with me cuz I'm too scared I'll regret selling them...

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No regrets. I recently purged 8 pistols. They were sitting in the safe collecting dust and weren't collectible.
I do have 2 Berettas that are range only but I'm down to 3 carry pistols.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I collected revolvers, especially S&W.
When I moved out of state thinned the herd and foolishly sold a sweet Model 19 .357 with a target trigger, target hammer, white outline rear and red ramp front sight.
Terrific shooter.
Too soon we get old and too late we get smart.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is such a thing as too many guns. If you have so many guns that you have to begin putting them in piles and one of the piles is eighteen feet high and one day you walk by and a gun falls off the top of the pile and hits you in the head and kills you, you had too many guns.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I've been collecting guns for about 30 years now. For the longest time I told myself I was in search of the perfect carry gun/house gun combo. I now admit I just enjoy a variety of guns and can afford them. Lately I've been considering thinning the herd and focusing on mainly one platform. For those that have done this, any regrets?

I had an awesome collection of Sigs and thinned it out considerably once I fell in love with the P320 platform, including the RX and P320 X5. No regrets for me. The P320 platform is flexible enough to give me all I need from a Sig. P320 45 shoots every bit as good as a P227 or a P220. P320 9mm is every bit as good as a P226 or P228. Plus I have the Romeo 1 for my old eyes.

No knock at those who like to collect Sigs and other brands. I loved collecting mine and most of the fun is in the hunt. I'm just content now with the flexibility of the P320. I still own some classics like the P226 & P228 and some other carry metal framed Sigs but I'm mostly shooting my P320's.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:

In the past 50 years of gun collecting, I've thinned the herd countless times to focus on just one platform.

It was a mistake every single time.

Posts: 122 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first got into the shooting sports twenty years ago I bought and traded so often that I probably ended up on a list somewhere. While I don't regret most of the deals I made I do miss enough of them (two S&W 4506's, FN Barracuda, Springfield GI 1911) that I decided to only trade up for a newer model of the existing platform (Beretta 92 Compact L for a M9A1, Sig P6 for a Sig P225).

The only advice I can offer is to trade up for something similar and better than what you had (8045 Cougar for a railed 8045 Cougar 'sample' gun, M11-A1 for M11-B, SP2009 for SP2022, SP2022 for P226, P226 for X5) because you risk the possibility that sooner or later you'll regret it.

Man, I wish I still had the 4506 that I traded away for an Auto Ordanance 1911.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, too many, yes if your purpose is just utility of defense or job related, however, if there is an additional purpose such as the love of ownership; the appreciation of the craft, construction, function, or just enjoy taking them apart, cleaning, and smithing old pieces, then no.
During a difficult economic time some 10 years ago, I regret the loss of revolvers, S&Ws, Colts, and vintage Walthers, and sigs. Since then, I have replaced some, but none of the revolvers.
So, in my opinion it depends on the "why" I have more than one gun.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
When I was younger we did a lot of bird hunting and my father had a number of doubles. When he passed my brother and I were given his collection and so there's a number of SXS. Combined with what I already had I guess I have more than I need in that vein.

Some years ago my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and I had to sell some of my favorite firearms. I was five states away and had to travel down and help. Her insurance didn't cover everything and I didn't have much choice at the time. (Everything happened very fast, unfortunately). In the big picture of life, I don't regret selling anything as it also allowed my kids to spend time with their grandmother as well and helped her.

Due to cost I just never able to replace a few of the pieces- in particular I really miss a M1 Underwood Carbine and a H&R Model 999 Sportsman 22lr. Maybe one of these days...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah the age old question. One i have wrestled with for 22 years. Still not sure of the answer, but my own experience has turned into a personal quest to find it. What i can tell you is I have many times concluded "i have too many" and then i do the "i am going all Glock" or "I am going all 9mm" or I am going to 5 revolvers and 5 semi autos" or I am going just striker fired" etc.... etc...
Right now I am in a "I am going all 9mm, 1911 or Glock" and 4 are enough (for now- 3 Dan Wessons and a G26) ).
The one thing I did conclude is that I will no longer trade/sell a revolver unless i absolutely MUST do it even if i think I have "too many". Right now i have 6, all really good Smiths, and i really believe revolvers will be considered collectors items since nobody will be able to economically make or fix them anymore.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I wish I could focus on one or two interests. But I Can't. WHY should I?

The main focus for me are S&W revolvers , has been for years. MY ISSUE is that I ALSO like SIG's, Colts, High Standard target .22's, Freedom Arms, 1911's , etc.

HAVE to have at least one or two; BHP's, Walther PPK, Colt SAA's, etc.

So quickly the collection gets out of hand.

Life is short....collect whatever You wish and as MANY as You wish. A guy is dead a long time.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
There is certainly a limit to how many guns you can practically use. After that, it's a hobby with the inherent limitations of any hobby. If you are spending so much on guns that it affects the quality of life of you or your family, that's too many. Just like someone who spends too much on golf, or cars, or tiny porcelain Buddha's, or whatever.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
My interest and goals have shifted over time, I have no regrets selling the majority of my "collection" to fund the competition guns that I actually shoot the piss out of... I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I understand the dilemma. I have a reason for all of my guns. I carried 14 different handguns in the line of duty, had to have one of each in the collection. My Dad's old .410, wife's grandfather's guns that are heirlooms. Guns I hunt with, and guns I have competed with. Guns that were gifts. Guns that have history like my Cowboy guns. Guns that just are beautiful and I just like to look at. A John Wayne commemorative. Guns that I use for personal defense. Guns that I got for my children and grandchildren to learn on. Guns that I use for training purposes. All others I just got rid of because they have no personal value to me.

Did I mention that I never let go of a gun once it makes its way in?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post