SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot my CHEAPEST Firearm and Also A Confession Mark II Content
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my CHEAPEST Firearm and Also A Confession Mark II Content Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I don't actually shoot a ton of .22 anymore. The vast majority of my .22 itch is scratched with my air guns. That said with the dumpster fire that has been the last year or so I figured I would pull out a .22 and head to the range.

So I pulled out my cheapest firearm by far. My Ruger Mark II Government Competition that I bought for the the princely sum of $60.00 from a neighbor about 18 years ago with the main caveat being that he would sell it to me as long as he didn't have to clean it first. SOLD MY GOOD MAN!!! Big Grin

I honestly don't get this out near as much as I should and when I do I have to totally relearn its point of aim and trigger etc. and I usually find myself just sort of blasting with it. That said it is a wonderful handgun and one that always makes me chuckle in both its use and memory of its purchase.

The overall technical results may not be great but the happiness results sure were. Been a while since I just banged away to turn money into noise and it was nice. Big Grin

Now for the confession......Frown

I have always given people crap who complain about HOW HARD A Ruger Mark I-III pistol is to field strip and clean. Always kinda felt they would have issues chewing bubblegum and walking at the same time............ummmm.....yeah.....I uhhhh.....apologize for that. Frown. I haven't shot this or a Mark series in quite a long time and upon cleaning, even thinking smugly to myself that people complain too much about this..........I found myself having a hard time reassembling and getting the hammer and strut just right and it took me several times and a bit of creative language to get it back together......

So...../Jerry Falwell=ON/ I HAVE SINNED!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!! /Jerry Falwell=OFF/ Big Grin

At any rate. The world is a dumpster fire, we all know that. We all are experiencing some form of stresser or another, with that said if you can .....go do something for the fun of it. Burn some ammo, drive fast, watch a bad movie, get drunk.....whatever just burn off some of bullshit that's building up inside, you will feel better for it.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you! I also have a Mark II, although I paid far more for it. Blue, 4 inch, bull barrel. It's a hoot. As far as cleaning, well, my wife can ut it together in about 10 seconds. I did break weak recently, though, and buy a Mark IV.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My son and I hit up the range this morning with my MkII Stainless Target and my Single-Six for some plinking fun. We did a little paper shooting at 7 yards and then knocked down some steel plates at 15. It's nice to be able to work the fundamentals right now without burning through my center fire ammo stash. And man, if I do my part that gun will really perform!

The MkII is an awesome gun. I held off buying one for a long time because of all of the field-strip horror stories. It's all about doing things in the correct order...if you adhere to that, it's really easy. Forget a step, though, and it can be a real SOB! The real trick is to shoot it often enough that the procedure stays fresh in your mind and you don't forget any steps Big Grin.

And $60 is an absolute steal! I paid $275 for mine and felt like I was doing good!

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of Ruger Standards and I know what you mean about reassembling them. Seems like one of those deals where you need to stand on your head and pat your belly just right to get it on the first try. But they sure are fun to shoot.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Mark IIs are my favey, and that is a handsome example. Cool

I've concluded that cleaning frequency is overrated, and a small paper clip to pry up the latch is just the ticket.
Getting the re-assembly right can be a struggle occasionally, but it feels like wearing a monocle and handlebar moustache when done on the first try.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Those MK II slab sides are great guns. The example I had was very accurate. Like most I have been frustrated with the re assembly. Sometimes I got it the first try other times I had to walk away and chill for a while. LOL. Still like 'em though.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin'!

Sometimes when I think about plinking with a Mark III, I remind myself that cleaning it afterwards is where the fun stops.

Not that it is that bad, just that there are other pistols I'd prefer to wipe down.

I have three pistols that are this way.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Love my Mark II Gov't Target Model that I bought back in the early 1980's & recently picked up a Single-Six but with my aging eyes I added the Williams fire front sights to both of them.

This Mark II is approaching 40k rounds through it, the Single-Six makes me slow down... Big Grin

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I have two slab sides and both are great shooters. Once you figure out the assembly process its really not that hard. A buddy showed me a trick on turning it upside down and getting the lever looking thing in the right spot and it was easy. I bought one of mine for $350 used so you got a heck of a deal.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problematic bubblegum chewer here. I will always cast scorn at any pre-MkIV, but having one essentially dumped in one's lap for that princely sum of $60 I might see my way to be able to set aside any differences. Maybe. Razz

Yup. Doing a little .22 plinking is indeed nice therapy in these stressing times. I've found mine in the one current 'cheapie' Ruger, the Wrangler, only three times what your diamond cost. Never thought I'd fall for a single-action rimfire as much as I do this Ruger, but what can I say? It's a brilliant inexpensive little firearm that's tons of fun.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice, had a Mark III, great fun to shoot, but required a sailors course in conversation upon reassembly. One time the thing just falls perfect and it's easy, the next time, you can't get the upper assembly off without a mallet and dynamite, and putting it back on would make anyone want to toss it across the room.

Traded mine on the MkIV and won't look back, now taking care of it is as simple and easy as shooting it...

Need to get my 22's out for some range time...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thing is I have never had issue with assembly. I know the upside down trick. Etc. For some reason, probably Jesus smiting my smugness Smile, I just happened to have a PITA on that day.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Back in about 1990 or so I lucked into a smoking deal on a MK10. I was lusting after a MK2 gov target 6” so I had a gunsmith buddy trim the barrel from 10” to 6”. I just couldn’t shoot the original well without bench resting it. With the 2X scope, it is a fearsome tack driver.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a MK1 standard, a MKII target, a MKIII target and a MKIV 22/45. I love to shoot every one of them. Whether I have a red dot mounted on it (MKIII, MKIV) or not, I get great satisfaction in shooting them.
You got a great deal for $60. My MK! cost me $80 used, and bought from a friend!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MK IIs are great firearms!

I am a bit confused though. I've never heard of the MK II Government Competition.

I've heard of the MK II Government Target [and have one], as well as the MK II Competition Target.

My awareness is limited to what I have held in my hands, and I thought the slab sided barrel was the Competition Target, while the Government Target is a round bull barrel- like mine.

Anyway, they are BOTH great guns, and capable of better accuracy than I can deliver!

As to reassembly, it can be a bear.

Have you looked into that Ruger MK reassembly hammer strut support thingy? Do a search and you will find it.

The idea is that it fills the frame space that allows the strut to get caught under the lower cross pin.

I've added it to mine and, well, at least I have peace of mind. I haven't had much difficulty removing the MSH and reinstalling it, but this removes a potential problem.

Glad you brought yours out to play.

Rugers of the world- UNITE!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bow Commander
posted Hide Post
Nice! Mine is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Crazy accurate and reliable.

Posts: 443 | Location: Springfield Oregon | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I might have my terminology incorrect but I remember their being a Government target and a Government Competition Target. IIRC the only substantive difference were the grips.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
This may be a mostly 22lr year at the range.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What’s the significance of the mags taped “seemingly” tight together?

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, since we're posting pictures Big Grin

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post