Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a 380 Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Wanted one for some time now for a range toy. Have narrowed it down to Beretta 84, Browning or a Baby Rock. I like the feel of Beretta and Baby Rock but can't find a Browning which seems to be about the same size as the Baby Rock. All hammer fired. Just picked up a Beretta 81.That little thing is fun to shoot. Which do you guys like?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'd say my favorite .380 would be the P238 HD. The only one that i have for now.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've had my Beretta 84 since the mid '90s and while I don't fire it too often, it's a sweet little shooter.

Now, I've handled and nearly pulled the trigger on a Baby Rock, but I couldn't find sources for additional magazines. I have no need for one of these pistols, but wouldn't mind snagging one up if the price was right and additional magazines were readily available.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Love the Beretta 84/85 series, if that's an option!
Super accurate and recoil is nil.
Used to conceal carry an 85 back in 1987 or so... less options back then, ha!

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Just saw magazines for baby rock on eBay $25.00.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
simple answer. the best and classiest 380 ever made:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baby Rock

?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

I could not have said it better.

Honorable mention goes to Beretta 85.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Pretty little pistol, and reliable. But…
* No slide latch, as I recall.
* Very sharp recoil.
* Hard to rack slide.
* Many folks report slide bite.

I love my aluminum frame, locked-breech SIG P238 which has none of those annoying characteristics. I prefer its 1911-style mag latch too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Baby Rock

?

https://armscor.com/firearms/b...eries/baby-rock-380/

These little babies feel pretty good in the hand. While somewhat heavier than the Browning equivalent, I much prefer the solid feel of the Baby Rock. The Brownings that I've handled felt cheap to me.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree on the 230/232 as being the best of the .380s, I would opt for the Beretta.
Great little pistol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I'd say my favorite .380 would be the P238 HD. The only one that i have for now.

I agree. It makes a great pocket gun with the DeSantis Nemesis holster.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

These little babies feel pretty good in the hand. While somewhat heavier than the Browning equivalent, I much prefer the solid feel of the Baby Rock. The Brownings that I've handled felt cheap to me.

Ok, so you've shown me something new....color me interested!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me the best in 380 is the sig p238, followed closely by the Bersa Thunder; no slide bit, and very low felt recoil.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of my Browning 1911 380. Very light, good sights, decent trigger, etc

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a bunch of 380’s. For style I love the P230SL. I have a JK date code in the safe. But it’s not pleasant to shoot. Better than a PPK because of the trigger but not pleasant. Any blow back 380 is going to kick. The P238 on the other hand is a pleasure to shoot. And accurate. And small. And light. I recently added a Legion 238 and really love it. Seems sig fixed most of the issues with this one...

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex35
posted Hide Post
I owned 3. Sig P238, Walther PPK, Glock 42. Hands down the Glock 42. It shoots so smooth and is Very accurate. The Glock 42 is a pleasure to shoot. Its a great pocket gun that shoots and feels like a much larger gun. I sold my Glock 43 and my Sig P238 and bought a Sig P365. The sig P365 fits in my Glock 42 Alabama pocket holster.

Posts: 187 | Registered: February 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do not own a .380, but of those that I have fired, I really like the P238 that belongs to a gentleman who works with me. So much, in fact, that I bought its sibling in 9mm, the P938.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

Ok, so you've shown me something new....color me interested!

When I was looking at these earlier last year, finding mags was next to impossible. However, while at the LGS tonight, looking at them again, I found that Rock Island actually has them in stock and at least one of our vendors lists them, ( OOS right now, though. )

I may just buy one yet.

Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I like my Glock 42 quite a bit. I carry it in my front pants pocket.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post