SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New or old S&W 629?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New or old S&W 629? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I turned 44 today. I've always lusted over a 629 6.5". I'm gonna get one. Are current production 629's as good as old ones? Should I buy used?

I know zip about S&W revolvers. It will be my hunting or hiking sidearm.

Next year I'm getting an Ed Brown 45.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of old school. In fact I personally detest stainless steel. Never had a rust issue with plain blu d steel no matter how much snow or rain soaked the pistol became. Have even slipped in creeks and swamps totally submerging blued guns with no ill effects.
If it were me I would get an older one pre lock but I also understand in the lock era smith added an endurance package to the 629 to allow it to hold up longer with heavy loads.
My brother carried a blued 29 as a duty police gun for decades and beat on it pretty hard and shot it tons with no issues.
Most people ( there are exceptions) are never going to put enough full House magnums through the gun to wear it out. Go to the Smith and Wesson forum and review how to inspect for timing and endshake and push off and you can then confidently look at used guns.
They key to buying used is patience- waIt for the right gun at the right price. From r some of the old school guns I prefer I have waited years to get the one

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going to shoot a ton of full house magnums through an N frame, the sweet spot is to get one from the era before MIM internals and the lock but after the introduction of the Endurance package, which beefed up some of the internal parts (longer bolt, deeper cylinder notches, radiussed pins, etc.). There were different engineering revisions for these changes on the blued and stainless versions of 29/629 but if you search you can find the specific models. If you are going to shoot a moderate amount of magnums, I'd prefer a pinned & recessed N frame.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Well if you’re going to shoot a ton of magnum loads, you might out to consider the Ruger Redhawk. They’re built like a steel outhouse.

Like others, I prefer the pre-lock Smiths. I have a 629-3 that’s my grandson’s favorite. Giggles every time I take him and it to the range.

So what are you going to do 2 years from now?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I prefer the older (pre-lock) models.

I believe they will hold their value better than newer models.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the newer ones tend to be very accurate, however, I find them less attractive. The lock, at least on the heavy calibers, is also a drawback. If I ever thought I needed something as big as a .44 magnum for self defense, I'd sure as hell want it to fire when I wanted it to.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Old is gold. Get one from pre 2001.

These days the current company calling itself s&w can't even manage to put the barrels on straight. Good luck! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the old. The 629-3 was the first to have the Endurance Package. They widened the cylinder stop notches and changed the extractor. The 629-3 is my favorite revolver to shoot. It's a 2.75" Backpacker and has the best trigger of all my Smith revolvers.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My 629 no dash has a 6" barrel, not a 6.5" .

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a -3.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
You want a pre-lock version. 629-3 or 629-4.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grab a copy of the Kuhnhausen manual , The 5th edition outlines some of the differences between the old and new. I agree with the folks recommending the endurance upgrades.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
My 629 is old school. I will not buy a S&W with a lock. Love the older guns.

Then again I am an old f@rt myself.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fotothomas makes me chuckle no smith with a 6 in the front of the model number can you consider old school

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
95% of the ammo I put through my 29-2's or even my newer Smith forty fours...are mid range, lead bullet loads at 900 fps or so.

They work for everything I do with a .44 Special or .44 magnum, short of hunting for deer/elk or when I'm in big bear Country.

I have a 29-3 that was a basket case when I got it, shot loose from lots of full power mag loads. Had it gone through and it's endured 2K of my 7.5 of Unique/245 gr Keith slug loads without any ill effects.

What You buy, depends on WHAT You want to put through it...IMHO.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I turned 44 today. I've always lusted over a 629 6.5". I'm gonna get one. Are current production 629's as good as old ones? Should I buy used?

I know zip about S&W revolvers. It will be my hunting or hiking sidearm.

Next year I'm getting an Ed Brown 45.

Tony.

Happy Birthday! I'm 44 next year. What a super #!

I own both. I have 5" blued 29-5, full lug no lock. Oh how I adore it.

I also have a more recently produced 629-6 Competitor w/ the weighted barrel. Has the lock. It goes bang every single time and I love shooting it.

I am more into the old school S&W, but I shoot my Competitor lights out. Both are great.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of the pre lock models in both blue and stainless.

Wouldn't own a MIM/lock model.

Matters not which dash number you get, keep the loads within SAAMI and you can feed 'em all day, every day for a lifetime for you and your descendants.

Best to ask yourself which model trips your trigger. There's barrel length, cylinder configuration, ejector rod housing length.

Happy shopping. Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I prefer the older (pre-lock) models.

I believe they will hold their value better than newer models.

I too prefer the older stainless models without a lock. If you are hiking, you may want to consider the "Mountain gun" model that has the lightweight barrel. I have a 625 Mountain gun (4" .45 ACP) and love it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I've got three of the 629s (629-1M 6", 629-4 5", and 629-6 4"). Except for the lock on the 629-6, I do not see any difference in the fit, finish, functionality, or trigger feel from the pre-locks. My favorite to shoot is the 629-4 5"; 6" feels bulky and 4" has noticeably more recoil, the 5" is just right.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looks like my friend has a 629 no-dash, S/N N778XXX. He has to research the price but he's conflicted about selling it. Barrel is pinned and recessed.

After some research, I'm wondering if I should go with a Dan Wesson or a Ruger. After reading some articles on the 629, it seems that they can sometimes have a hard time handling a steady diet of magnum loads while keeping the cylinder in place.

Tony.