SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need help with sighting problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with sighting problem Login/Join 
posted
This may not be the right place to ask but I need help locating target when I am right handed and left eye dominant. I know it is better to shoot with both eyes open for wider angle of vision but this is hard for me to do since I have to turn my head slightly to obtain the target. Is it ok to shoot with one eye closed or should I keep practicing until I am comfortable with both eyes open?

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Keep practicing. I'm left eye dominant but right handed. Learn to bring the handgun up and shift it slightly left of center, that is, align it with your dominant vision instead of bringing your vision to the gun.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm right-handed/left-eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open. When shooting right-hand/one-handed, I tilt the gun slightly to the left, which helps bring the sights in alignment with my dominant left eye. When shooting right-handed/two-handed, I turn my head slightly to the right, which helps bring the sights in alignment with my dominant left eye.

That's what I do. YMMV.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some say don't move the pistol, it'll disrupt your natural point of aim. Some say don't move your head, you should be as flat and square as possible. I lean towards the second camp: move the pistol not your head. However a minor birth "defect" is why I'm cross dominant and my head naturally tilts, so I don't have to move the pistol much at all.

As for both eyes open or just one, well, that's complicated. Both open serves two purposes: better overall/peripheral vision and less eye strain. However, if you're trying to do something delicate, like thread a needle, what do you naturally do? Close one eye.

I try training with both eyes, both dry fire and live. But I know when I'm in competition I end up closing one. So personally, I don't think it matters that much, do what works for you.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an instructor, I'll say there are just some shooters who simply CAN'T shoot with both eyes open. I don't try to change them. With cross-eye dominant shooters we don't try to change them either. Shoot with the dominant eye...period.

Ideally yes, both open. However, there is another option not generally discussed for the one-eye shooters. My frame of reference is defensive shooting. This:

1) Keep both eyes open when drawing and driving into the target. Focus on the target.

2) Just before you are ready to break the shot and have rough sight alignment, close the non-shooting eye. Acquire front sight.

3) IMMEDIATELY after firing the shot or shots, re-open the non-shooting eye.

4) Alternatively, you can open the eye after the first 1-2 shots and the odds are you'll still hit the original spot. Practice this on the range and determine what works for you.

5) After the shots are fired, you have both eyes open for scanning, peripheral use and depth perception. Just like those who keep both eyes open.

In other word, keep it simple. Whatever works for you. In defensive use, unnatural, contorted techniques will probably fall apart. Holding up under stress is more important than perfection.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem. I had to teach myself to shoot left handed, but I'm right eye dominant. Bring the sights into allignment in front of your dominant eye. Resist the urge to get 'close enough' and then compensate with your head position. Also, some people just don't shoot well with both eyes open. I know because I'm one of them. I've learned to scan with both eyes, then perform a kind of slow blink to bing the shooting eye into focus and break the shot. It's a bit hard to explain, but it works and it's quick.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the scan and then close one eye will work well for me since I have shot long guns left handed all my life with that method. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post