SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P250 380 (Paperweight?) to Browning 1911 380 Quandary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P250 380 (Paperweight?) to Browning 1911 380 Quandary Login/Join 
posted
Or should I say wife sensitivity to recoil quandary...

After years of trying to get my wife to step up in caliber it’s become obvious that we’re not going to get to anything larger than 380 for centerfire. If that even. She loves 22lr, even more so surpressed, but she can’t get past the recoil/noise of anything much larger. Yes, she wears both plugs and ear muffs and it’s still an issue from a noise perspective.

She has one of the ‘mythical’ P250 compacts in 380 which soaks up the ‘recoil’ of the 380 and holds 15rds which makes it much more of a real pistol when comparing it to the slew of micro pocket 380s you generally see. She’s comfortable and proficient with the 250, but she hates the DAO trigger. After a few rounds she starts to get trigger fatigue and it’s down hill from there. She wants something that is closer to the SA on traditional DA/SA weapons but full size 380s just don’t exist. So:

1) Enter the Browning 1911 380. Does anyone have experience with these and can speak to their reliability? It’s supposed to be an 85% size 1911, so this may actually work for her needs. It’s a new manual of arms for her but something she’d pick up quickly.

2) Other options in full size 380s? 9mm just isn’t an option, we’ve had her try Sigs, XDs, and Glocks.

3) What to do with this 380? I can’t find 22lr kits in my quick search, do these still exist? Would they work with the P250 380 even if they were available? I think the slide and spring on the 380 are the only difference vs the others, 380 being lightened substantially.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
2)If DAO is out, metal is in. Take a look at some of the Berettas out there in .380.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
2) Other options in full size 380s? 9mm just isn’t an option, we’ve had her try Sigs, XDs, and Glocks.

S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ
https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...s/mp-380-shield-ez-0

Despite the "Shield" model designation, the 380 EZ is not a subcompact pocket gun like the other S&W Shields. It's a medium-sized compact pistol (think G19, only a bit skinnier):

The 380 Shield EZ is designed to be ideal for new shooters, those who are recoil-sensitive, and those with limited hand strength. The only real downside is that it's a 8+1 single-stack, so compared to her current P250, she'll be trading some capacity for a better, shorter trigger. (Although the Browning 1911-380 also has a 8 round magazine, so that's a wash either way.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only weigh in on disposing of the .380. One thought is to sell the upper+mags only here on SF. Then, you could take the proceeds and buy, say, a sub-comp 9mm conversion. You'd then have a great DAO Glock 19-sized pistol, with a small investment. I've got the SC version of the .380 - they're hard to come by and I think the world of it...

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Ill second the S&W Shield EZ

I am not a big S&W fan but they got this one right. Its big enough to get a full real grip, without being to big or heavy. Recoil is very very mild.

Easy to load the mag and rack the slide. Yes she will lose some capacity, but its worth it to get something that she will actually use.

My wife is extremely noise and recoil sensitive, and she really likes this pistol.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've the baby browning. its been fine operationally no issues, but I wouldn't ever consider it for serious use given the 1911 heritage and intended price point. There are a bunch of way better options.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa! M&P was not even on the radar, this could be a winner if she can get a full, no dangly pinky, grip on it. Much better price point than the Browning as well. We'll be going to check this out.

Much appreciated!

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a Walther PK380. DA/S.A. trigger, smooth shooter that is along the lines of the P250 compact size. Check one out if you get the chance.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm not a S&W fan either but after getting an M&P22C, if recoil / grip strength ever were an issue for a shooter, a M&P380 EZ would be on the radar for sure.

Beretta makes some sexy 380s but they are still tiny guns overall.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The Walther is a good option. I handled the Shield, and liked how it felt, but a number of reviews mentioned misfeeds, etc. (My guess is it won't tolerate people dragging their thumbs on the slide.)

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other options in full size 380s?

As others have stated the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield EZ.

Also while not fullsize, my wife's Glock 42 has a very mild recoil. You could put extensions on the magazines for a better grip.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the EZ, the Glock 42, and half a dozen Beretta 380's. I like big 380's, what can I say. The EZ is just that. The Berretas are great, except for the operation of the slide. Many find it difficult. The Glock isn't quite as user-friendly as the EZ, but I find it much more accurate. Additionally, if you are a first responder in any way, (includes EMT's and certain security officers), the Glock is priced very well. If you decide to dispose of the P250, shoot me a PM. I've been interested for a while.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the Beretta 84?

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
She may like the Glock 42

I tried one as a rental at my local range and was pretty impressed. It's not full size, but it's not really pocket sized either. Sort of in-between.

The softest shooting .380 I've ever fired.

See if you can borrow or rent one and have her try it, she may love it.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The SIG P230 and P232 are full sized, all metal, elegant .380s. They are out of production, but not all that hard to find, and they shoot beautifully.

The SIG 238 is a small .380 on the Colt Pocketlight/1911 platform and is also a very nice shooter with a very easy cocking action.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
The SIG P230 and P232 are full sized, all metal, elegant .380s. They are out of production, but not all that hard to find, and they shoot beautifully.

yes, but...

The OP specified no DA/DAO and those are DA/SA and they are still quite snappy for what they are and if the OP's wife can't handle a full size 9mm, she's not going to like a .380 blowback action pistol like the P232 which IMO has as much or more felt recoil than say a Glock 19/17

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
3) What to do with this 380? I can’t find 22lr kits in my quick search, do these still exist? Would they work with the P250 380 even if they were available? I think the slide and spring on the 380 are the only difference vs the others, 380 being lightened substantially.

I don't remember SIG offering a separate P250-22 exchange kit. The whole P250-22 sells for under $300, which is less the exchange kits in other calibers.

Be aware that the .380 "Compact" is a compact grip module with the dustcover cut back to fit a subcompact slide.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, I'm not a S&W fan either but after getting an M&P22C, if recoil / grip strength ever were an issue for a shooter, a M&P380 EZ would be on the radar for sure.

Exactly this, word for word for me too.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
She may like the Glock 42

But also this. The G42 shoots waaay softer than you think it is going to. It is an amazingly soft shooter. My buddies wife was just like yours, very sensitive to recoil and noise and she didn't like anything in 9mm. I let her shoot my G42 and she fell in love with it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post