SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to red dots on pistols and have a maintenance question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to red dots on pistols and have a maintenance question. Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
Just got my P320 .45ACP back from having my Venom mounted and I have a quick question. What do I clean the optics with? There is gunpowder and crap all over the front of the "glass" after my first range session. Also, I've got it sighted in perfectly and am wondering how you guys lock those settings down? The clicks don't feel tactile enough to hold zero, but I don't know as this is my first time around. I'm considering marking the screws so I can see if they have turned. Any thoughts on that? Thanks to all. Nice little optic btw, not very much distortion in the lens.

Obligatory picture:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean mine with the stuff I use for my eyeglasses. An alcohol based liquid and a clean lint free cloth given to me with my glasses by the optometrist. anything soft with a glass cleaner will work fine. In a pinch at matches I've used a my shirt and some brakeclean.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Novus #1 plastic cleaner and a microfiber.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I had an M17 and a few friends have 320s. In our group, the Sigs were horrible at fouling up the Red Dots. Within 100 rounds the Red Dots were coated with residue.
My G35 and G19 MOS have never fouled up the Red Dot.
Not sure if it's the location of the Red Dot on the Sig, the ejection pattern, or both that contribute to the residue fouling.
I use a microfiber cloth and lens wipe to clean my Delta Point Pros.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing up this issue. It was not something I had thought about, but it always seemed to me that other things that can obscure an optical sight on a handgun would be a matter of concern.

Considering how many firm and vocal fans there are of red dot type sights for handguns these days and how many are probably used primarily for activities like competitions involving high round counts in a single session, it’s illuminating that your question hasn’t been raised more often; in fact, I’ve never seen it before. The usual response when someone finally complains about a significant problem that is common with a popular item is, “Oh, yeah; everyone knows about that, but [insert appropriate rationalization here].” We’re not supposed to let it bother us, and certainly not mention it. The term “dirty [npi] little secret” definitely comes to mind.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t yet have a red dot, I’m actually awaiting delivery from Sig of a Romeo-mounted 226 slide and look forward to learning to use it.

At the other site, there’s been a bit more discussion regarding residue building up on the glass. Some of the discussion has focused on the new X5 Legion and a few have speculated that its loaded-chamber notch is contributing to the problem. I noticed a few members claim they’ve had no problems with their classic P-series. All that is FWIW.

Again, I look forward to trying it. I paid $340 for a new milled stainless slide with a mounted Romeo 1, and raised contrast sights. I know that this tech will continue to evolve and my purchase will be obsolete in the relative near term.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Ill just clean the glass as directed. What about keeping the zero from wandering, or is that not a concern?

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Just like rifle red dots, I use the same stuff that Sony recommends for my Tv screen. Just your standard cleaner. I have always been careful not to use products like Windex because I know that they are hard on premium rifle scopes with a lot of magnesium fluoride.

I’d wait till HRCJON shows up and do whatever he says.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Thanks guys. Ill just clean the glass as directed. What about keeping the zero from wandering, or is that not a concern?

Are there no set screws on that version? I get the bortex names all mixed up.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've been following several threads regarding pistol red dots.

There have been many that recommend Cat Crap for lenses. Big following over at the P&S fellas.

No personal use.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the Vortex has a polymer or glass lens.

As far as the Shield Sights polymer lens red dots go, the most economical way they approve of is hot water with some liquid soap. They also approve of Methyl Ethyl Keytone and WD-40 electronic contact cleaner.

Good luck in finding real MEK on this side of the pond and the WD-40 didn't impress me.

Use the cleaner with quality cotton swabs. Rotate the swab as you gently move it across the lens so the dirt is moved up and away from the lens.

Shield Sights Cleaning

Glass lens sights don't need to be as gingerly cared for as the polymer lenses, but if they have a coating, the milder the cleaning solution, the better.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've used cat crap, but 91% alcohol works just fine with a qtip to get the crud off and then a microfiber cloth to get rid of the streaks.

I would definitely mark the settings on your adj dials with a coloured crayon or something similar. However if the dot wanders I don't think it will be because the adj screws wander. Check for zero ever so often to be sure.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:

There have been many that recommend Cat Crap for lenses. Big following over at the P&S fellas.

This. It doesn't just clean but leaves a film that beads water and resists fogging.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd also re-evaluate my ammo... I fired over 600 rounds through my p320 with a Romeo sight and never had any residue at all on it....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I fired over 600 rounds through my p320 with a Romeo sight and never had any residue at all on it....

Yes, different ammunition produces different amounts of firing residues. What kind were you firing?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
Good luck in finding real MEK on this side of the pond and the WD-40 didn't impress me.

Kleen Strip makes it, sold at Amazon, and probably at a well-stocked local hardware store. Seems a bit harsh, though, unless heavily diluted. I would use denatured alcohol (or acetone) before MEK for general cleaning, but I'm not sure how this would work on polymer red dot sights. For cleaning my plastic lens glasses, I use a mixture of 25% rubbing alcohol, 25% white vinegar, and 50% distilled water, along with an all cotton terry cloth wash cloth.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a package of Zeiss lens wipes at Costco. They work very well and no issues over a couple of years of serious use.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting firing residue on the optic glass is a major reason I like having the rear sight infront of the optic instead of to the rear. Unfortunately no one seems to make this configuration. Hence, I made my own about 5 years ago. On a S&W MP9L.

Cleaning the optic - qtip and alcohol.

Get a holster that protects the optic. Safariland makes a ALS holster that has a hood that rides over the optic and releases on the draw. It is great at protecting the optic from rain and dust.

As far as locking down or marking the settings for the zero. Pointless. Each time you remove the sight for a battery change. You'll need to rezero. Further, each change of ammo (ie heavier or lighter projectile) you'll need to change ammo. Great if you want to....but, you're gonna end up with a crap ton of marks that are never in the same place.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, I'm gtg, not going to bother with worrying about the zero moving.