SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Memories of my first Sig...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memories of my first Sig... Login/Join 
Picture of Slugo
posted
The year was 1992. I purchased my first Sig Sauer, a P220 45ACP. Afterward, my two 1911's found new homes. It took a while to get used to it due to a totally different design. But then I dialed it in and I never owned another 1911 since then.

Posts: 59 | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice memory!

My first Sig was my 239/9 TT in 1997. I had just arrived at Ramstein AB, Germany, and the Kaiserslautern Rod & Gun Club had it for sale for $425 USD (no tax either!). That started my fondness for Sigs. I’ll never sell that one (or any of my other Sigs, for that matter).

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My first was in 2005. It was a CPO P229 in .40 from Ordnance Outsellers. Shot a pistol course over 2 days with about 1,400 rounds and then IDPA the following weekend. Great times.

quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
My first Sig was my 239/9 TT in 1997. I had just arrived at Ramstein AB, Germany,

Was it difficult getting it back to the States?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My 1st was the SP2340. It came boxed with a Laser Devices laser and spare magazines. It was Swiss framed. I put it in a Gun Shop for sale and loaded up a big wide body ParaOrdnance .45. After the weekend passed, I missed it so bad I went directly over to bring it back home.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first was a KE P220 in .45acp bought used 12 years ago. It was then when I caught the wallet draining SIG-ness.

P220-1992.
P220-1995.
P245.
P239-9.
P928.
P6(1981)

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
My first was a P228 bought in 1992. Had for ever, sold it a few years back like a dummy....

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1520 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
P225 in the late 80’s

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ke 226 in 1996, still have it.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It was 1995 or so. I bought a used P229 in .357Sig. That was my intro to the bullet and Sig.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
My first was in 2005. It was a CPO P229 in .40 from Ordnance Outsellers. Shot a pistol course over 2 days with about 1,400 rounds and then IDPA the following weekend. Great times.

quote:
My first Sig was my 239/9 TT in 1997. I had just arrived at Ramstein AB, Germany,

Not at all. I purchased several Sigs, an HK, a Glock, and even a Ruger, plus I also had most of my guns shipped over from the States. When I came back in ‘01, I just had to fill out the ATF Forms. Once approved, they were shipped to the States. No problems at all, thankfully. I did have to give away several standard cap mags, though, because I couldn’t bring new ones holding more than 10 rounds into the US because the Clinton ban had not yet expired. I only had a few anyway...So I had to replace the 12-rounders for my 229/.40, and the 13-rounders for my G23. The HK is a USP-C/.40, so I only had 10-rounders for it anyway.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Sig was in 1994; a Sig P230 all stainless. I purchased it because it was much better looking than the PPK/s I had since the previous decade. It shot far better than the Walther and I still own it. The meaty web between my thumb and forefinger has grown thick and fat since and in order to shoot, I wear a leather glove. It is still fun to shoot and very accurate.
The list of other Sigs subsequently purchased is too long and boring to list here. I have never sold or rid of any.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
P220/Browning BDA .45. Way back in the 1980s.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a new 226 , I think about mid 1980s two piece clay color box and test target.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

quote:

Not at all. I purchased several Sigs, an HK, a Glock, and even a Ruger, plus I also had most of my guns shipped over from the States. When I came back in ‘01, I just had to fill out the ATF Forms. Once approved, they were shipped to the States. No problems at all, thankfully. I did have to give away several standard cap mags, though, because I couldn’t bring new ones holding more than 10 rounds into the US because the Clinton ban had not yet expired. I only had a few anyway...So I had to replace the 12-rounders for my 229/.40, and the 13-rounders for my G23. The HK is a USP-C/.40, so I only had 10-rounders for it anyway.

I bought my first handgun, a SIG SAUER P228, at the Rod & Gun Club in Grossauheim Kaserne around mid '92. I took leave back to the states shortly thereafter and saw what they were going for there, so upon my return to Germany, I bought eighteen more handguns, ( numerous SIGs ) and also two shotguns. Over the course of about a year and a half. I also loaded up on as many magazines for each that I could afford, then shipped those separately.

I shipped the shotguns back in my household goods and hand carried the nineteen handguns with me. I needed an extra roll around suitcase just for the handguns and of course paid the additional baggage fee, but had all my ATF blue forms, ( forget the form number ) current and approved with me. Customs was a breeze, though I did get some odd looks at one of the other airports in the states. Big Grin

I still own and occasionally shoot/carry that first 228 to this day.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
The first I actually owned was a 94 two tone P226 in 9mm that became my first duty gun. Carried it for many, many years, shot the snot out of it, went through a few sights, used it to break in several versions of "then new" Surefire pistol lights for swat use before it became the norm for everyone to have a weapon mounted light. It's been a few years since any lead has been put downrange but, maybe it's time. I've considered having Robert Burke bring it back to life.....

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I bought my first SIG, a P226, in 1994. I'd previously bought a Sigma .40 and a Taurus .40 but the sexy purposeful engineering of the Sig spoke to me, despite the pawn/gun shop owner trying to dissuade me from buying a peashooter 9mm. He said the previous owner had bought it New from him, had accidentally shot the transmission in his car, had declared the pistol irresponsibly dangerous, and traded it in for a safer pistol with a safety. Not sure if the story was true but the pistol looked New and it felt so good in my hand that I bought it. IIRC it was around $425. Came with the grey plastic case and paperwork and test target, which is one of the best I've ever seen, not that it really means anything. I think he sold me a spare 15 round mag for like $50, it being the panic of 94 and all. I remember being intrigued and confused by the function and the plasticky sound of the rebounding hammer

Still my favorite pistol.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first was a P226 in .40 so it could shoot major. I still have it after probably 25,000 rounds with NEVER a failure of any kind. It was used for carry, target, competition, and home defense. I have way too many holsters for it, a .22 conversion, a .357 barrel, and it went to Sig for a SRT and action job.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My first was a German P220 that I picked up in 1999.
Ever since I saw and shot one in 1990 (cousin carried one on duty), I was in love. Just took me awhile to get one. Smile

While it's been many years since I've shot it, it's still in the safe. Maybe one day I'll break it out and shoot it in CDP for IDPA. Big Grin

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
Mine was a German proofed P225 found in a pawn shop in 2004. I've never been the same since.

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I remember buying it, my P229R. 2007. Cajoled by my brother into buy one. Vaguely recall my first range visit, at least the outcome. Wasn't happy with my newbie DA skills, and kept thinking how I liked my easier G19 much better. Plus the SIG pointed funny; had to constantly adjust to the slide wouldn't obscure the front sight. And that awful 'covering the target' sight picture; hated that immensely; still do to this day. But I ultimately got over these issues, at least kinda; more like suppressed actually.

However shortsighted I was, I thought that I'd gotten familiar and confident enough to decide to divorce myself from my Glock, which with hindsight I moronically sold. I then tried serious training with and carrying my P229R for about six months. My developing skilz with DA didn't improve quickly enough, the gun in my waistband was a REAL lump, so I took the easy way out, threw up my hands and went out and bought a Gen3 G19 to replace my gone Gen2. And from there on I was back into my comfort zone, all the more thankful for the return.

That P229R became a range gun, then later my "cadaver" in learning how SIGs are put together. It survived the 'surgical' ordeal and convinced me that despite my histrionics with SIG DA trigger pulls that I needed to experience more. So I can thank/blame that first SIG for all of the rest that I own today. I only occasionally take that SIG #1 out for a spin these days; the last time in a while was three weeks ago, along with my P210A and my EDC Glock.

It still shoots like I remember in that I still am rather sucky with heavy DA triggers. Not a bad thing really since it makes me appreciate what I can do with my regular carry, and has cured me of any further crazy notions of ever changing away to another type like I did just over a decade ago. But being my first SIG and DA/SA gun, I still hold a binding fondness for the chunky hunk of metal. And with all of the rounds that have passed through that gun it is now one silky smooth operator. Except for that cautionary trigger, that is.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post