SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does Sig make this P238?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Sig make this P238? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Looking for a P238 with ambi safety and night sites.

The Sig website isn't clear on the ambi safety.

Looked at PSA, CDNN and Bud's. Doesn't look like I have much luck. I asked for photo confirmation from Bud's and he said the only photo's he could give are from their website. Their website only shows one side of the pistol.

Reason I'm looking is because the wife isn't dealing well with the P938 recoil and she's left handed.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the P238 and P938 have an ambi safety levers. Check youtube for detailed reviews.

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
The gf has both of these guns.

The P238 DOES NOT have an ambi safety.
The P938 DOES have an ambi safety.

(I just went and looked at each one to verify)

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
There were a couple of models of the 238 with ambi safety. The Desert model was one that I can remember.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You can also install the ambi-safety from the 938 on the 238, just have to trim the right side grip panel for the safety. Now you will have an ambi 238 and a single side safety on the 938.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
You can also install the ambi-safety from the 938 on the 238, just have to trim the right side grip panel for the safety. Now you will have an ambi 238 and a single side safety on the 938.

Now that is something to think about... I believe I'll keep the P938 to carry for myself but I like the ambi safety.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You can order the parts directly from Sig to do the conversion.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking through distributors website I don't see any ambi-safety 238s (this isn't to say they don't exist) maybe a special edition or something might be ambi-safety but looks like most are not.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Buy the parts you want. Sell the ones you don't. You may break even or better.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Ordered the P238 with a single side safety from PSA for the wife. We'll see how long it takes to get to my FFL. Big Grin

Anyone dealt with these guys for parts?

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Anyone dealt with these guys for parts?

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi

Yep, MGW is good-to-go.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yes, over the years there have been 238 variants that came with the ambi safety setup from the factory. But as previously stated, most don't come that way.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, the ambi safety on the 938 and 238 is an adaptation of a single-sided design. For this reason, the right-side lever can be loose and sloppy-feeling. Some of them come that way, and some get that way after use.

They still function OK, but that loose feeling bothers some people, who feel insecure with a safety lever that has play in it. You might want to "try before you buy." OTOH, if you're ordering single-side and having the conversion done by a gunsmith you trust, you should be good-to-go.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Pistol comes into the FFL next week. I'm inclined to do what Johnny 3eagles suggested and swap the ambi safety from my P938 to the P238 for my wife since she's the lefty. Then I'll keep the left side safety for the P938 since I'm a right until I get the ambi in and do the swap.

They don't seem very popular but I like the ambi safeties. My EMPs have the ambi safety so I'm accustomed to it.