SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Modifed X frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifed X frame Login/Join 
Picture of Texaspoff
posted
Well the one thing I really liked about the X Compact was the area at the web of the hand, and how Sig re worked it compared to the X frame.

So I was sitting in the shop last night and though I would massage my X Carry frame a bit and see what I could come up with.

This is the down and dirty prototype version. I will be working it over a bit more and finishing it out. I relieved the areas at the web of the hand and reduced the beavertail a bit.
It fit way better now, and I can now cradle the back of the frame correctly. Also make the X frame feel much thinner.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Does it sit lower in your hand than it did before you worked on it?

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Does it sit lower in your hand than it did before you worked on it?

yes, it sits much like the compact model.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did you do that exactly?

File, sandpaper, Dremel to finish?

I am getting a couple of frames to play with, but was not sure how to attack the plastic and have a clean looking finish. Stippling is one thing, having a nice, smooth finish is another.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the grayguns grip modules; it's an x-carry frame for a compact slide, but I'm using it with a full size (the dust cover and rail stops well short of the end of the slide, but still over laps the slide dust cover).

At first glance the texture that is on the grayguns module looks like it's just for grip, but there's enough reduction of the contour of the frame that it feels much like the x-compact grip in my hand. A lot of that isn't material removed from the top of the backstrap/thumbweb area, but what seems to be a reduction at the corners where the thumb and forfinger point forward.

On the x-compact frame, my thunb and forefinger lay alongside the frame, both pointing forward, comfortably. On the x-carry frame, with my finger in position to press the trigger, my thumb doesn't wrap far enough around to lay along side the frame. With the grayguns textured x-carry gripframe, it does, just like the x-compact. I don't think a lot has been removed, but it's noticeable (and noticeably more comfortable than the x-carry, which I think is already a comfortable frame).

I expect that there's a lot that could be done to tailor or customize the grip module, though I'd be reluctant to do it personally as I don't know the engineering behind where the stress points are, and I'd be concerned about weakening the module. I suppose they're not that expensive and they're easily had, so experimentation shouldn't be too big a deal, but for the most part, I'm content to go with what Sig put out, or in this case, what grayguns (and their subcontractor) did.

Looks like your work turned out quite nicely.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Have you done any more work on the X frames? Even that prototype looks really good.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
Have you done any more work on the X frames? Even that prototype looks really good.

I have done quite a few.

Chopped up a few legion frames as well. Smile

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Any others where you’ve thinned the top of the grip/blackstrap area? That’s the one fault that I had with the X grip previously. I think I’m going to give it another try and maybe try removing some material in that area.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any others where you’ve thinned the top of the grip/blackstrap area?

Yes, It works much better for my smaller hands. A battery powered Dremel on lowest speed is the key.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post