SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 9mm folded slide on 226 40 lower?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 9mm folded slide on 226 40 lower? Login/Join 
Picture of fullmann
posted
I've done quite a bit of searching but cannot find a definitive answer..

Can I put a classic 9mm folded slide/barrel/recoil spring on a 40 lower? With just a upper swap?

Every conversion search I do points me in the direction of a conversion barrel, or caliber exchange kit.

The police surplus 40's seem to be readily available, and I've seen a couple 9mm folded slides being gunbrokered off.

They look like they should work fine. But again... cannot get a real definitive answer.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried it a while back and it worked fine.

By the time you buy a .40 trade in and a 9mm slide assembly you could probably just buy a 9mm P226 for the same money.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It usually works to do that; I gave a friend such a combination. Most older frames used with carbon steel 9mm slides were the same as the frames used with 40 S&W slides. The thing to worry about is whether individual tolerances might cause a problem.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
You may find that the 40mm slide catch-ejector in the frame won't work properly with the 9mm round. You may need to replace it with the 9mm version.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
Already have the folded slide assembly, so that cost was absorbed years ago.

Do I need to change to a 9mm ejector? Looks like they are only a coupe bucks anyway

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fullmann:
Do I need to change to a 9mm ejector? Looks like they are only a coupe bucks anyway

No.

Many people have made the conversion by different means and I have never read that anyone discovered it was necessary.

(The P226 ejector is not part of the slide catch lever—unlike the P220.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post