SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 is here and first impressions - Updated with range report on pg 2
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 is here and first impressions - Updated with range report on pg 2 Login/Join 
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I decided to not wait another 8 days until my next day off to pick up my X-5. Was a 120 mile round trip, but well worth it as I was anxious to get it, and to get the magazine issue with my new P220 Elite 10mm taken care of. Looking forward to cleaning and lubing it up, and taking it to the range! I picked up a box of SIG Elite 9mm because I wanted something a bit hotter than range fmj to help break it in.

So far, I really like the balance, feel and the grip. It seems like it is weighted such that there is some heft to it but it is well balanced and not muzzle heavy. It is pretty tight also, often not returning fully to battery when working the slide to reset the striker. The undercut is a real winner IMHO, allowing a nice, high grip. I think I am going to shoot it a few times before deciding to install the GG PELT straight trigger I bought in anticipation of getting the new X-5. It feels very good, but there seems to be a bit of take-up once the 'wall' is reached before the striker falls.

Mine has a little creep also but it seemed to get better as I shot. Shooting the RX with the PELT trigger along side the stock X5 really made me appreciate my PELT trigger. I may be ordering one for my X5 this week. I don't care if a trigger is heavy as long as there is a crisp break with minimal creep.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 82airborne
posted Hide Post
I picked up mine today and shot 150 rounds of 115 grain through it. No issues. Accuracy is terrific. The trigger reset seems longer than my 320 full size. I found I shot it better the more finger I had on the trigger rather than just the tip of the finger. The grip lines up differently for me. It seems there is less area for my support hand so I'm going to have to learn how to line up my support hand best.

I ran several failure to stop drills and hammer drills and find my second shot when shooting rapidly goes left. I'm attributing this completely to how my grip is at the moment. Not being the fault of the pistol. While shooting slow fire it is honestly one single hole.

Like everyone else said it does not lock up easily and has a stiffer spring for sure. It requires the slide running home to put it into battery. Overall for the pistol and 4 mags I don't think it can be beat right now.

The barrel/slide seems slightly longer without looking at the stats, just comparing it to my full size. I'll attempt to post some pics to compare sizes.

Posts: 862 | Location: Zion | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance one could mount an optic and have co-witnessed irons like those available on the 320RX?

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any chance one could mount an optic and have co-witnessed irons like those available on the 320RX?

Yes. A friend picked up two a few weeks back. One has a romeo1 mounted in place of the rear sight and has irons co-witnessed. Haven't seen it yet (might get some photos this weekend).

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
UPDATE: The P320 X5 has just been added to the USPSA Production List with a weight of 33.5 oz and the magwell removed.

Interesting, I know of a lot more Shadow 2 owners than P320 owners. I wonder how they got to 2,000 units so quickly?

Thanks for the reviews, BTW. Really interested in this one...

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carotxn:

Read Alma's post at the bottom of page two. He even posted a video of it.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
Interesting, I know of a lot more Shadow 2 owners than P320 owners. I wonder how they got to 2,000 units so quickly?

The requirement to be added to the Production list is to have 2,000 units available for the public to purchase and not 2,000 units purchased.

Rumor on the street though is that Sig actually shipped 2,500 units to distributors the Friday before it was approved for the Production list.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I brought up earlier if you want to shoot the X5 in USPSA Production that magazines that come with the gun are too long and the original P320 10 or 17 round magazines will not fit into the gun because of the wings on the base pads.

As far as I know you have two options; either buy new base pads from Springer Precision or cut the wings off of the base pads of you 10 or 17 round P320 magazines.

I did one last night to show what needs to be done. The magazine on the left has the original base pad on it and the one on the right has the modified base pad with the wings cut off. The one on the right works just fine now in the X5.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drp1371
posted Hide Post
Weight?

Posts: 15 | Registered: November 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drp1371:
Weight?

Just checked mine:
Empty, No Magazine: 30.90 oz.
Empty, With Mag: 34.70 oz.
With Full Mag (21 Rnds): 40.80 oz.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drp1371
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 15 | Registered: November 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked mine up i Sunday and shot it the next day. Very nice! Trigger has some issues. Little bit heavy and it strikes my finger as the action cycles. Tried installing a straight GGI PELT but ran into problems with it. Have a couple of ideas that I want to try yet.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drp1371:
Weight?

Here is mine configured for Carry Optics with a magazine inserted.

Setup the way I have it for Carry Optics the weight drops 1.9 oz from Tooky13's readings. In the original configuration with the supplied 21-round magazines mine was right around his weights.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Yes. A friend picked up two a few weeks back. One has a romeo1 mounted in place of the rear sight and has irons co-witnessed. Haven't seen it yet (might get some photos this weekend).

I
Can you please advise if this mod is done with a romeo1 and a set of factory p320 tall sights? Or is this set-up aftermarket sourced?. At SHOT Sig said leupold (Deltapoint Pro?) and Trij rmr cound be mounted. Seems to me the DPP would be stretch, but here's hoping.

My second question is that if the slide has difficulty locking up, I would think it is at minimum recoil spring weight from the factory.
Finally, if it is true that my GG trigger in my p320rx is better than the x5 trigger, that is dissapointing.

Comments, corrections, and solid info would be much appreciated.

P228, P938, P226 ESE, pP229, 226 SAO Legion, P320RX, P226 X-5e SuperMatch, P226 X6e Supermatch, X5e X-Bridge, X5/X6 weight mounts.

Posts: 12 | Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picked mine up i Sunday and shot it the next day. Very nice! Trigger has some issues. Little bit heavy and it strikes my finger as the action cycles. Tried installing a straight GGI PELT but ran into problems with it. Have a couple of ideas that I want to try yet.

Can you clarify your problems with fitting the GG trigger kit?
Thank you.

Posts: 12 | Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GandyDancer:
quote:

Can you clarify your problems with fitting the GG trigger kit?
Thank you.

I finally got it to work. I am not sue what I did finally to get it to function as there were several small issues, including the trigger not moving freely when the fcu was installed in the grip module and the take down lever was installed, and also when it was simply installed in the fcu without the trigger bar being installed.

Trigger feels noticeably lighter. Still has a bit of take-up and reset is pretty weak. Not a big deal as I don't ride the reset anyhow.

If the GGI trigger takes care of the trigger slap (for want of a better term) I will be happy. The X-5 is an awesome set-up, a marked upgrade from what is a hell of a pistol already.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
It looks like the X-Carry may be shipping, as it was added to Davidson's site a few days ago and today it went from "0 Available" to "Allocated" which usually means they have stock but it's spoken for. The X-VTAC also popped up on their site the other day, but it's still showing 0 available.

X-Carry
X-VTAC

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Grayguns' flat faced PELT trigger is externally identical to an OEM X5 trigger?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Does anyone know if Grayguns' flat faced PELT trigger is externally identical to an OEM X5 trigger?

On the left is a GGI PELT, on the right is a stock X-5 trigger.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:

It's pretty danged close, a function of parallel development around shared objectives. It's USPSA legal if that's the question.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post