SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 is here and first impressions - Updated with range report on pg 2
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 is here and first impressions - Updated with range report on pg 2 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A couple more observations about the gun and also about the 21-Round magazines that ship with the gun in case anyone was wondering.

Removable sight - Although I have not removed my back sight yet to put my Romeo 1 on the gun I noticed something last night while going through the gun to make sure it was ready for the range today. I knew the adjustable sight is held on with two screws from the bottom but in order to get to one of them you need to remove the extractor spring assembly. The spring and plunger go right through the hole covering up the screw and if you just jam a bit in there you will damage the spring.

21-Round magazines - Sig is marketing this gun as the ultimate entry level competition gun and even throwing in what they are calling 21-round 140mm magazines. If you buy one of these guns to use in Carry Optics, Limited Minor, etc make sure you double check the magazines against a mag gauge or you will find yourself shooting in Open. Not one of the 4 magazines that came with mine fit in the gauge. The base pads they are putting on them are too thick at the bottom. In order to correct this you need to put a slight bevel on the backside of base pad and then the magazine will fit in the gauge. I had to do this with the first generation 21-round magazines Sig came out with but the second generation magazines seem to have gotten worse and the culprit is the base pad. I did however notice that the second generation magazines allow you to get 21 rounds into them and you can still insert the magazine into the gun. I could not do this with the first generation magazines.

More to follow after I get to the range this afternoon. Hopefully the range is not busy.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Great info - thanks.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought as much. I was talking to someone yesterday about removing the magwell to keep it legal and just run standard mags.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
Do you know if the "regular" P320 full size 15 rounds magazine will work with the P320 X5?

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2191 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:
Do you know if the "regular" P320 full size 15 rounds magazine will work with the P320 X5?

I believe they are going to take a bit of modification.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Which mods? To the compact mag or the full size mag? From what I am reading, the base pads are different.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:

21-Round magazines - Sig is marketing this gun as the ultimate entry level competition gun and even throwing in what they are calling 21-round 140mm magazines. If you buy one of these guns to use in Carry Optics, Limited Minor, etc make sure you double check the magazines against a mag gauge or you will find yourself shooting in Open. Not one of the 4 magazines that came with mine fit in the gauge. The base pads they are putting on them are too thick at the bottom. In order to correct this you need to put a slight bevel on the backside of base pad and then the magazine will fit in the gauge. I had to do this with the first generation 21-round magazines Sig came out with but the second generation magazines seem to have gotten worse and the culprit is the base pad. I did however notice that the second generation magazines allow you to get 21 rounds into them and you can still insert the magazine into the gun. I could not do this with the first generation magazines.

More to follow after I get to the range this afternoon. Hopefully the range is not busy.

Also, wont you need to buy 4 different magazines if you intend to shoot production?

It seems it would have made a lot more sense to use the standard length production legal mags and fabbed up a polymer extension for 140mm than to make a 140mm tube.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Which mods? To the compact mag or the full size mag? From what I am reading, the base pads are different.

From what I have read, you will have to file the wings off the side.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's sorta what I thought.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Also, wont you need to buy 4 different magazines if you intend to shoot production?

Yes, you will need different magazines to shoot production and luckily I have a bunch of 17-rounders. Although I will have to take the stock base pads that came with the 17 rounders and cut the wings off of the sides so that they will seat in the magwell. Not that big of a deal but a pain in the ass that is for sure.

I am going to be shooting Carry Optics primarily this year so no need to rush into doing the base pad conversions. If I get ambitious enough this weekend I'll mod a couple of 17-rounders and update on the post.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: The P320 X5 has just been added to the USPSA Production List with a weight of 33.5 oz and the magwell removed.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Yes, you will need different magazines to shoot production and luckily I have a bunch of 17-rounders. Although I will have to take the stock base pads that came with the 17 rounders and cut the wings off of the sides so that they will seat in the magwell. Not that big of a deal but a pain in the ass that is for sure.

I am going to be shooting Carry Optics primarily this year so no need to rush into doing the base pad conversions. If I get ambitious enough this weekend I'll mod a couple of 17-rounders and update on the post.

I'm mainly a limited shooter and would basically use this gun as a training tool as I believe the dot makes it easier to see your inefficiencies... so my interest mainly lies in a carry optics configuration as well. That being said, I'd prefer it to serve dual duty in production as I have sold all my production worthy guns.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The second one is that no matter what I try I cannot get the take down lever to turn. It is very tight and at this time and I do not want to force it.

Some of these I have seen are easily disassembled by moving the trigger while turning the takedown lever. You don't have to pull the trigger all the way to dry fire, just move it a bit through the free pre travel and the lever should turn easily.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3501 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I played with those at NRA. Color me jealous, I had no idea they'd hit this quick.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rln_21:
quote:
The second one is that no matter what I try I cannot get the take down lever to turn. It is very tight and at this time and I do not want to force it.

Some of these I have seen are easily disassembled by moving the trigger while turning the takedown lever. You don't have to pull the trigger all the way to dry fire, just move it a bit through the free pre travel and the lever should turn easily.

I will have to try this trick the next time I break it down. Thanks

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or replace them with those available from Springer.

http://shop.springerprecision....Id=299&categoryId=56

Only put a hundred rounds through today. I might have to bump up the charge in my standard competition load. Or wait until I get a few hundred rounds through it. Some failure to completely cycle the slide . The brass just tends to fail out the side when in all my standard m320's, it's more of a forceful ejection. The rounds is power factor plus about 8 percent. After this weekend I'll have a few hundred through it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Or replace them with those available from Springer.

http://shop.springerprecision....Id=299&categoryId=56

Only put a hundred rounds through today. I might have to bump up the charge in my standard competition load. Or wait until I get a few hundred rounds through it. Some failure to completely cycle the slide . The brass just tends to fail out the side when in all my standard m320's, it's more of a forceful ejection. The rounds is power factor plus about 8 percent. After this weekend I'll have a few hundred through it.

Whatever you do don't get the SP extra capacity 140mm base pads. I bought two with the extra capacity follower and they are awful. The spring is trapped in the base and you can't disassemble the magazine. They are held on with a tiny set screw that will not stay put no matter what I do, I'm just gonna weld the base on and throw it away when I have issues.

I've use the SP base pads and mag extensions for all my pistols but those base pads are a real disappointment.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the posts about everyone receiving their X-5s I was kind of concerned that I hadn't received a call since I had ordered from a SIG Elite dealer. Turns out the salesperson who wrote out my order wrote the last two digits of my cell phone number illegibly. Who knows who received the call about my pistol arriving, being as I never did. Luckily I called them today and, after being told they had sold all the X-5s already, found that it was still available to me. Won't be able to make it out there for about 10 days though.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I was able to get out to the range after work to run some rounds through the new X5. I ran 300 rounds of 124gr Speer Lawman TMJ and 25 rounds of my match 124gr Montana Gold HP reloads through it. No issues whatsoever with the gun.

The gun is very comfortable to shoot for a polymer gun and compared to my P320 FS I felt it had the same feel as an aluminum framed gun. Even with the stock recoil spring the sights on the gun track very well and recoil is quite manageable. The gun shoots very flat and I can't wait for the aftermarket recoil rods so it can be tuned in a little more.

Keep in mind that my main goal tonight was to run some rounds through the gun to make sure everything was functioning the way it should and to get a feel for the gun. I am also no human ransom rest like some of you guys here are. I did not mess around with the sights at all and probably won't because it will not be long before the back sight comes off and the Romeo 1 goes on it.

This was the first 100 rounds through the gun at 35 ft.

This was 100 rounds at 25 yards. No significant time was taken to make these shots. I just let the sights fall in line and I'd pull the trigger. I did manage to put 71 of those in the 8" circle. Not exactly bullseye quality but not bad for me either.

Like all polymer guns I think it begs for either stippling or even a grit treatment like Alma Cole does. I cut skate tape to fit into all of the little recesses last night, cleaned the surface with alcohol, applied them to the gun and then wrapped the grip very tightly with electrical tape to help hold it in place and seal like I have with other guns and before I had the first 50 rounds through the gun the tape was slipping out of place and I had to remove it. A good hour from last night down the drain.

As it stands with just a few rounds downrange with it I really like it and I think it will become my primary Carry Optics gun and even my production gun if I decide to shoot a production match here and there.

If I decide to put the Romeo on it this weekend I'll update the post again. If there is any other info people are wondering about between the P320 FS and P320 X5 let me know and I'll try and answer them. If you are on the fence about buying one....

Just do it. If you really don't like it you can always sell it.

Picture of Alma
posted Hide Post
I recorded a video last night of installing the Romeo1.
Everything went well once I figured out there sight plate doesn't drift out.
https://youtu.be/XEOsaSWLjQ4

I am with you on the recoil spring. I think it's slightly heavy. I know a very good shooter who has a cut a few coils. Several guide rods options are in the works. I think you won't have more than a week or two to wait before one is available for purchase.
I have also seen an aftermarket adapter plate for others brands of red dots. That's three or four weeks out

Posts: 254 | Location: Springfield, VA | Registered: November 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post