SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 is here and first impressions - Updated with range report on pg 2
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 is here and first impressions - Updated with range report on pg 2 Login/Join 
posted
I know everyone is going to be saying pics or it didn't happen so lets get this out of the way immediately.

I just placed my pre-order on the 20th of April so I was very surprised to get a call today letting me know that my P320 X5 was already here. Since the dealer I ordered it from is 95 miles away I planned on picking it up Saturday but couldn't wait that long so I went and picked it up tonight.

First impressions?
This is not your average P320. The grip module on the X5 feels incredible compared to the standard P320 grip module. I typically run the small grip module on my FS P320 and P320 Rx's and even though it comes with a medium sized grip module it does not feel like one. I really like the flattened out sides and the undercut under the trigger guard is very comfortable and does not cut into my fingers compared to the standard grip module. The weight and balance of the gun feels really good, even with the magazine well removed.

The gun certainly feels tighter than the standard P320 and as some others have mentioned the gun at first will not go fully back into battery with a slight chamber check. They do however say that after running 500 rounds or so through the gun this does improve. In its standard configuration it certainly feels like it is over sprung but will hold judgement until after I can shoot it this weekend.

With the magazine well installed the only magazines that work with the gun are the ones that come with it. If you remove the magazine well you can use the magazines that came with it or standard 17 rounders with Springer Precision 140mm base pads. If you want to use standard 17 rounders or the original 21 rounders you will have to modify the base pad in order to get them to work.

The trigger is very nice compared to the standard P320's. Average trigger pull for 10 pulls on my Lyman trigger gauge is 5lbs 6ozs. Very nice for a stock trigger.

Disappointments
For now there are only 2. For starters I will probably not be able to shoot the gun until Friday night or Sunday. The second one is that no matter what I try I cannot get the take down lever to turn. It is very tight and at this time and I do not want to force it. I guess make it 3. My holster has not come yet from Red Hill Tactical but that should be here in the next week or two.

I'll be sure to update once I've had a chance to shoot the gun this weekend.

ETA: Range report on pg 2.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WildSig,

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Thank you!!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Very excited for this model!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, that's nice! Looking forward to the range report!

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review. Since you already have a 320fs, curious if this one will fit your currently holster set up. It sounds like it doesn't, or are you just getting a new/separate one for it. Look forward to hearing from your range day.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
no matter what I try I cannot get the take down lever to turn.

I had the same issue. It's just stiff at first but will become easier with use and a little lubrication.

I was trying out a unit that had some use and it wasn't as bad.

quote:
curious if this one will fit your currently holster set up

Fits perfectly in a Comp-tac International made for a 320 FS. It does NOT fit in a Bladetech. While it will sit in the holster just fine, it will not be secure as it locks around the trigger guard. They are working on a model for the X5.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I am jealous right now.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been a busy week so I might get a chance to sight it in on Friday and a local steel match Saturday. The next match is the event we are holding at the academy. I'm sure Max Michel and Julie Golob will be closely watching to see if I'm a threat. Even better is I'm working a stage and get to see them close-up.

Anyone in the area can stop by. some awesome raffles going on with a huge number of great prizes.

https://activeheroes.org/event...-zero-charity-match/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
I had the same issue. It's just stiff at first but will become easier with use and a little lubrication.

I gave it another try this morning and with the use of a piece of rubber I was able to get a better grip on it and rotate it down. So glad it is just tight at this point and not something else.

As rscalzo also said the current BladeTech P320FS holster does not work and even my current Red Hill Tactical holster for the P320FS does not work. The gun will go in the holster but not all the way in does not ride in the holster very well. That is why I just went and ordered one from RHT on the same day I ordered the gun.

I am going to do everything I can to get this gun to the range tomorrow night and shoot it a little bit. I've very curious to see how it shoots with factory and some of my competition ammo. If I can get a bunch of rounds through it tomorrow and everything goes well one of my Romeo 1's will be going on it and then sighted in later this weekend so it is ready for Carry Optics as soon as my holster comes.

Rumor has it that it has already been approved by USPSA for Production and Carry Optics.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
The next match is the event we are holding at the academy. I'm sure Max Michel and Julie Golob will be closely watching to see if I'm a threat. Even better is I'm working a stage and get to see them close-up.

Big Grin

Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
If you can't wait for a new holster, you can modify your BladeTec pretty easily. I dipped the bottom inch or so in boiling water for about 45 seconds and then slowly forced the X5 into it. It reformed the necessary area perfectly. Just remember to hold your thumb over the back of the slide to prevent it from retracting. Good Luck!

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write up, I pick mine up on Friday.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
Thanks for the write up, I pick mine up on Friday.

I don't think you will be disappointed. When I picked mine up last night they told me they had 8 or 9 that they pre-ordered for customers going all the way back until January when they got the code. All of them showed up on the same day regardless of when they were ordered.

I never did look in their case to see if they ordered any to sell themselves since they are a Sig Elite Dealer. They sure draw a crowd in the dealership.

posted Hide Post
quote:
you can modify your BladeTec pretty easily.

Fits perfectly in the Comp-tac with no modes.
We tried Mason's a few weeks back and while it easily fit, it did not lock in.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
How does the barrel on the P320 X Five compare to a standard P320 barrel? Are they heavier, like the P226 X Fives?

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
How does the barrel on the P320 X Five compare to a standard P320 barrel? Are they heavier, like the P226 X Fives?

The standard P320FS barrel is 4.1976 oz compared to the P320 X5 barrel at 5.53801 ozs.

I no longer have my X5 Allround so I cannot compare them to that.

This was borrowed from the thread on Enos. The standard P320FS barrel is .550" in diameter and the P320 X5 barrel is .630" in diameter.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
compared to the P320 X5 barrel at 5.53801 ozs.

Could you please be more specific? Smile

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
compared to the P320 X5 barrel at 5.53801 ozs.

Could you please be more specific? Smile

I tried but the google converter only went out 5 decimal points. Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
The second one is that no matter what I try I cannot get the take down lever to turn. It is very tight and at this time and I do not want to force it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I remember correctly this problem was discussed in Sig Forum not long back. Of course this was with the standard P320. There were various suggestions as to how to deal with it. Hope this is of benefit.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post