SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How often do you clean your firearms?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you clean your firearms? Login/Join 
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
when i feel the slide slow down..

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my new SIG P239 in 2009, it came with a test target. It was obvious that the factory did not clean it after test firing. I have also noticed this on some new Walthers.

Now guns can (could) sit in the distribution chain for months, if not years, before they are finally sold. If the factory doesn't think they need to be cleaned after every shooting, why would I do so?

I have a range bag with several pistols in it. As I rotate guns into the range bag, I clean the one I take out before I put it back in the safe. It may be several months before it gets clean.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Now guns can (could) sit in the distribution chain for months, if not years, before they are finally sold. If the factory doesn't think they need to be cleaned after every shooting, why would I do so?

How many test rounds do factories fire before shipping off their guns? 1? 2? Maybe 3, at most? Unless you never fire more than 3 rounds at each range outing, your reasoning doesn't hold up.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
All guns get cleaned as needed based on how much crud is built up following multiple range trips, or if a LOT of rounds were shot in one trip.

If it is a carry gun, it will also get cleaned once every 2 or 3 months if not fired, which is unlikely to go that long without shooting these days, but it has happened with ones like the LCP. Just want to be sure pocket lint and the like hasn't built up in it!

Deep cleaning with full grip removal (or similar) is done less often, just "as required", and that all depends on the gun. Lever-action rifles for example can go a year or more without "deep cleaning", but handguns like my Ruger MK-II... once a year, my P228 and P239 about every 6 to 8 months, depending on how much shot or carried.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to "shoot a gun....clean said gun". I did that for decades!! I have decided that it is not needed that often. If slide slows down, excessive "crud" present, etc., then it gets a cleaning and lube....usually 500-750 rounds.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I almost never clean the guns right away after range trips.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If its my EDC every time I return from the range. If its one of my fun guns, Ill wait until a few range visits pass to clean it.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wipe down after every match or range trip and give handguns a good cleaning every 4-500 rounds.

I run my AR and PCC 600-1000 rounds between a breakdown and clean.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean mine about every 500 rounds.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My edc gun gets cleaned no matter how many rounds through it. I hate carrying a dirty gun.

However my main training/range pistol gets cleaned every 5k rounds or so, unless it gets really muddy or wet then it gets cleaned.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post