SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How often do you clean your firearms?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you clean your firearms? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I enjoy cleaning my guns. After a shooting session I will take all the guns shot and sit down with a cold beer and good music and get to cleaning. It’s therapeutic.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Depends upon the gun for me as well.

If it's a range toy that I won't shoot very often, I clean it after every trip.

If it's a gun that I'll shoot a lot, like my EDC and backup G23s, I wait until about 800-1000 rounds these days. I've gone as long at 2800 rounds where the darn things just kept going and going. Guilt is usually the instigator for breaking out the cleaning tools.

Certain range guns that I shoot often but I'm not all-in, wholeheartedly trusting of like my P229 TALO or M9A3, I will generally clean at around 400 to 500 rounds. Unless I forget.

Rimfires I will typically clean after every range session. Black rifle I will most of the time clean after every session, unless it's a piston. Then it's "whenever".

I've developed an attitude when it comes to believing that people clean their guns too often.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I used to love cleaning. Now its becoming a chore.

Still, cleaning guns is when I get to inspect for chipped extractors or broken parts. I have found a lot of issues over the years, by simply cleaning and inspecting. If I never cleaned it, I never would have found the issue.

Carry and self defense guns will absolutely be cleaned, lubricated, AND inspected after every time they are fired. plinkers or .22LR guns get cleaned occasionally. If I feel like it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
After every shooting. Usually within 24 hours. Now with a kid early on that may have stretched out a couple or three weeks but still after every use.

Now I don’t brush the bejezzus out of a barrel, usually just patches and ballistol but it gets field stripped, cleaned, lubed and function checked after every use.

Carry guns NEVER get put away without an exterior wipe down. So in many cases daily.

Never an issue with rust and a clean well oiled gun seems to be a happy Gun for me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Like some have said, I used to enjoy cleaning. It was sort of therapeutic was just part of the trip to the range.

I know, or have seen people with more guns, mostly pistol, than I could count. There was a couple on Smith & Wesson forum that had a large safe or two full of S&W revolvers, just chock full.

I can't imagine cleaning every one of them every few months if they have just sat in the safe, but, like some have indirectly indicated, it makes me uncomfortable for them to stay dirty for long, or go without inspection if they have not been shot.

I have seen too many guns that have been damaged by neglect. On the other hand, I'm less enthusiastic about cleaning every single range trip like I used to. I also used to enjoy cleaning, now, not quite so much.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
After shooting 100 rounds or more through them, but not necessarily right away. Cleaning anything, for me, is a chore, not something I gain enjoyment from. I'm thinking about cleaning the .22 pistol I shot two weeks ago. Razz More important than perfectly clean is lubrication. I check this on carry guns every couple of weeks.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Maybe every 3-5 range trips, which would be around 500 rounds fired max, but I do wipe the exterior metal down with a cotton cloth lightly moist with Breakfree CLP after each range trip/handling. Even when I do clean them they are not that dirty, other than the bore and breech face, and I can just wipe off any crud. I may also pull the slide off the frame to check lube before a range trip and if necessary add a little lube to the slide rails and frame rails/steel tabs.

+1 - This is pretty much my cleaning routine. I use to be a "after every range trip" guy. No so anymore. I use to like to do it, but now it is more like a chore. Not sure when it changed for me. Just seems like I have more to do now and I don't have the time to do it. I am hoping I get back in the mode of loving to do it one day.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Without fail within 24 hours of firing.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Maybe every 3-5 range trips, which would be around 500 rounds fired max,
<snip> I may also pull the slide off the frame to check lube before a range trip and if necessary add a little lube to the slide rails and frame rails/steel tabs.

+1 - This is pretty much my cleaning routine. I use to be a "after every range trip" guy. No so anymore. I use to like to do it, but now it is more like a chore.

Used to like it too - when I had a LOT less guns to deal with.
I'd guesstimate about every 6-700 rds between cleanings for pistols that are range guns...Or the day before a match. (using jacketed or plated bullets)
1-200 rds for my EDC. I do boresnake and give the extractor/breechface a quick rub with a brush, if that - but to me that's not "cleaning". If it's got lube in the right spots, it's GTG.
My EDC is dirty now. I may get to it this week or maybe next. I'm not worried.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My G19 gets cleaning about every 1k rounds.
SR22 and 10/22 probably every 5k rounds.
Pretty guns get cleaned after every range trip.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Every time they get shot before being put away. Carry guns get cleaned a minimum of once a month.

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Too many guns to clean after every range trip, too many trips to the range. I go, on average, once/week.

I end up doing a quick wipe down/cursory clean once every few range trips. Rifles, as needed (when its dirty enough to turn my ammo black Smile) I shoot the crap out of them, and I just don't have the time or energy to clean after every use.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Not often enough.

+1

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
About every other range trip for the G43. Less often fit the bigger Glocks. I detail strip the slide occasionally mostly to make sure the striker channel is clean. Very seldom do I detail strip the frame. Doesn’t really need it, and I don’t want to over size the holes where the pins go. It is plastic after all.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to clean after every range trip. But then I wasn't shooting very often. Now I only clean them if I'm bored. When I was doing 3-gun, they got cleaned before the match, but it got too popular and ended up being 9 hours on the range for maybe 10 minutes of shooting. Now I'd be surprised if any particular gun gets cleaned once a year.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every range trip. I know I don’t need to but I can’t help myself.

Posts: 123 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p226n
posted Hide Post
quote:
Occasionally, since I like shooting more than cleaning.

And most of my cleaning is a wipe down, bore snake, relube.

This.

I'm not of the 'can't help myself I have to clean' or the 'go into alpha brain waves when I clean' tribe. Been there done that and I'm okay going 500 rounds between cleanings with all of my pistols. Not saying you should or shouldn't, just answering the question.

P226 Blackwater (1st edition, non-rail)
NRA Life Member

Posts: 640 | Registered: May 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I used to clean them after each range trip. If I didn’t shoot for a couple of weeks, I’d bust it down, wipe it down, and relube it. Now, I’m shooting my carry guns constantly. They stay properly lubed, get cleaned every few weeks. -ish.

This is my practice, but I shoot a lot less than jlj.

I have some "me" time every Sunday morning. It's my practice to get one gun that has some miles on it and do a full take down cleaning on that gun during that time. Other than that, so long as it has adequate lube, and isn't gritty, it gets shot.

I do live in the sugar sand part of Florida. If a gun gets dropped in sugar sand, it is sidelined until completely cleaned. I'm sure it would work just fine, but I don't want to cause excess wear by shooting a gritty gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After every trip to the range and edc gets wiped down daily. Break down, Break Free, Scrub and wipe down.....takes about 8 minutes for a semi auto pistol

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not often.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post