SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Shield have we reached the age of disposable firearms?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Shield have we reached the age of disposable firearms? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
If there is such a thing as a disposable gun, it would be the shield. For me. Regards 18DAI

For me it would be the Smith & Wesson SD / Sigma.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
The funny thing is I have seen Shields more expensive used on local gun boards. Eek

Ditto here. I often see used Shield 1.0s price over $300 and get that SMH moment. Someone needs to do a price check before posting his classified. I find at least a couple per week. Must be the same guys who still asking top dollar for their guns in 40S&W.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went by 2 different Cabelas to see if they had them for that price and unfortunately they didn't.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I went by 2 different Cabelas to see if they had them for that price and unfortunately they didn't.......

I assume you mean they did not have any in stock? If they were in stock but priced differently, just show them the "2nd Amendment Savings" ad, it's on the front page. You can also pick one up on their site with free ship to store and pickup, but they're OOS at the moment. Check back daily.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
The 1.0, yes. The 2.0, no.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my (likely highly unpopular) opinion we reached "the age of disposable firearms" about the time the Glock came out.
It's been a race to the bottom ever since.
But, hey, what the hell do I know? Big Grin

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W must have had a gigantic warehouse stocked floor to ceiling with 1.0s when they introduced the 2.0s. They have been selling the 1.0 at blowout prices for over a year.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$279.95 + tax yesterday at the LGS. 9 or 40.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Palmetto State Armory has them for $249.99

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-p-shieldtm-9mm.html

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
This is a new era...very inexpenseive AR's/Polymers. The Sheild is a fine little shootable gun, but like all S&W's I've owned (probably 6-8, I have 4 now), they ALL benefit from an APEX trigger kit...but then again, they should. APEX does fine work like many aftermarket makers.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shield is a disposable, throw-away pistol.

Mine was, after 200 rounds.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The shield is a disposable, throw-away pistol.

Mine was, after 200 rounds.
.40? 9mm? What happened?

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:

.40? 9mm? What happened?

The frame split, as others have reported online. Same place, same crack. S&W refused to warranty the pistol, claiming it was ammunition-related, though they admitted there was no evidence of that, and that their standard response when they can't pinpoint a fault or cause is to pin it on ammunition. Factory ammunition, at a range, no signs of overpressure.

S&W's response was to offer to "replace" the pistol, at a cost greater than retail. They did offer free shipping, though. I refused. I still have the pistol. It's a paperweight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sns3guppy,

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
have we reached the age of disposable firearms?

No. We have reached the golden age of pistols, and one characteristic is very favorable pricing.

I have had a Shield 9mm for about 8 years. It has a nice trigger, and has been totally reliable for many hundreds of rounds. I also have many magazines that I bought for under $20 each.

I liked my Shield 9mm so well that I bought a Shield 45ACP on sale for like $230. I found that I like carrying 45ACP, and the gun is also totally reliable, although the trigger is only average.

And as good as the Shield is, there are other inexpensive high quality pistols now available. The Ruger LC9S and Walther PPS come to mind.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Hmm...I really like the Shield. REALLY like it with an Apex trigger Wink

Still like mine and can shoot it better than my Glock 43. It's an early gen 1 gun and the stock trigger is great.

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:

.40? 9mm? What happened?

The frame split, as others have reported online. Same place, same crack. S&W refused to warranty the pistol, claiming it was ammunition-related, though they admitted there was no evidence of that, and that their standard response when they can't pinpoint a fault or cause is to pin it on ammunition. Factory ammunition, at a range, no signs of overpressure.

S&W's response was to offer to "replace" the pistol, at a cost greater than retail. They did offer free shipping, though. I refused. I still have the pistol. It's a paperweight.

Take it to one of those gun "buyback" events when they're offering $100 or more!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post