SIGforum
S&W Shield have we reached the age of disposable firearms?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1210034454

March 11, 2019, 01:39 PM
2000Z-71
S&W Shield have we reached the age of disposable firearms?
So was in Cabela's this weekend and wandered by the gun counter. I was amazed, Smith & Wesson Shields in 9mm for $265. I really don't have a, "Need" for one, but at $265 it's tempting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
March 11, 2019, 04:10 PM
BBMW
Smith has gotten VERY aggressive with their pricing lately.

A related thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7180023454
March 11, 2019, 04:39 PM
RHINOWSO
$265 better spent on ammo, at least for me. Wink
March 11, 2019, 04:52 PM
Ryanp225
Those deals (at least the ones I've seen) are on the 1.0 version. I'd suspect they are trying to deplete old inventory as the 2.0 Shields are still going for a lot more.
March 11, 2019, 04:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
$265 better spent on ammo, at least for me. Wink

For me, too.

Q

March 12, 2019, 07:33 AM
18DAI
If there is such a thing as a disposable gun, it would be the shield. For me. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change
March 12, 2019, 08:17 AM
soggy_spinout
Even before the 2.0 Shield hit the market, S&W was flooding thousands of units of first gen Shields onto the market. They dropped prices to dealers and distributors and piled on with incentive programs to attract customers. And it worked. We went through a TON of 1st gen Shields during that period; it was easily our highest volume seller at that time.

Then S&W got dumb and kept making them in huge numbers after they introduced the 2.0 to market. We immediately saw consumer interest in the '1.0' guns (not just the Shields) wane. I suspect that our shop was the rule and not the exception. So S&W saw their cash cow '1.0' dying and as a result they've gone on a price drop binge. I know that we can order them for cheap. Volume dealers can order them for even cheaper. I've seen them as low as $229 on special from some internet sellers. Palmetto consistently has them "on sale" for $249, which in truth is their regular price these days. We had a handful of those first gen guns left over from when they were still priced to sell over $325ish; we've had to eat those margins just to remain competitive. A little advanced warning would've been nice, but small dealers always take it in the rear whenever dealing direct with the gun makers. Always a different set of rules between us and the big volume operations.
March 12, 2019, 09:07 AM
Chris Orndorff
Hmm...I really like the Shield. REALLY like it with an Apex trigger Wink

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

March 12, 2019, 09:55 AM
JBird679
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Even before the 2.0 Shield hit the market, S&W was flooding thousands of units of first gen Shields onto the market. They dropped prices to dealers and distributors and piled on with incentive programs to attract customers. And it worked. We went through a TON of 1st gen Shields during that period; it was easily our highest volume seller at that time.

Soggy, I always appreciate getting your input on things from a dealer perspective. I know it's a sample of 1 but it's still very interesting. Just wanted to say thanks!
March 12, 2019, 10:18 AM
BBMW
Do you not think it will hold up as well as any of it's competitors? They've sold a shitton of these (both original and 2.0), I haven't heard of a lot of quality/reliability complaints.

The dirty (or maybe clean) little secret is that poly striker guns are cheap to make. However that doesn't make them any less functional/reliable if they're designed and manufactured correctly. A lot of the other manufacturers (think brand G in particular), have been keeping a higher price point, and driving it slowly up. Smith seems to be using the low cost of manufacture to keep prices low and grab market share. Personally I see this as a good think for gun buyers / shooters.

quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
If there is such a thing as a disposable gun, it would be the shield. For me. Regards 18DAI

March 12, 2019, 10:33 AM
sigspecops
The amazing thing is that Cabelas would have them at that price. I bought another one a few weeks ago for $259 then I got a $40 rebate. I couldn't see any reason to go with the 2.0 while the older ones are close to $100 cheaper.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
March 12, 2019, 12:39 PM
yanici
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

You've got that right. With the APEX I also added a Hogue beavertail handall grip. The grip makes the little gun so easy to shoot. I shoot my Shield as well or better than my other 9MM hand guns. Just shot it this morning and came home smiling. This is the Shield 1 model.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]
March 12, 2019, 12:43 PM
djpaintles
Just because the 1.0 Shields are now $265 doesn't mean they aren't just as good of pistols from when they were $450!!

Appreciate a bargain price on a Very good Handgun. :-)

If my Cabelas has them that cheap I may pick up an extra or two as gifts and/or training guns......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
March 12, 2019, 02:45 PM
1KPerDay
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
yep. Apex DCAEK and trigger turned mine from unshootable to quite good.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
March 12, 2019, 07:06 PM
220-9er
My 1.0 (that I bought when the prices were $100 higher) has been flawless. Shoots great, no failures of any sort and very accurate for the size.
If I bought something else it would be a 2.0.

March 12, 2019, 10:22 PM
SteadyHand
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
My 1.0 (that I bought when the prices were $100 higher) has been flawless. Shoots great, no failures of any sort and very accurate for the size.
If I bought something else it would be a 2.0.

I'm in the same situation - I rather like my 1.0 9mm no manual safety. It's been a gem and it's a keeper.
March 13, 2019, 09:01 AM
Warhorse
I bought a M&P Shield .380 EZ M2.0 for $310 that included a lockdown vault. My understanding was this was a special that S&W put on. I considered that a "giveaway" price, and disposable.

March 13, 2019, 01:25 PM
Dyingtime
I found a nice one used several years ago for 250.00 an jumped on it. These are great ccw’s and I found the mags for 15.00. With 8 rounds Iam carrying mine more and more. Also, its very accurate and its been 100% with 115 JHP’. Buy it!

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"
March 13, 2019, 02:57 PM
Ironmike57
I paid 539.00 for mine!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djpaintles:
Just because the 1.0 Shields are now $265 doesn't mean they aren't just as good of pistols from when they were $450!!
March 14, 2019, 06:34 AM
redlickranch
The funny thing is I have seen Shields more expensive used on local gun boards. Eek

NRA Life Member