SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many rounds to check function?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rounds to check function? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I lost track of how many rounds I shot through the Glock. On the advice of a member here, I’m replacing the rsa and trigger springs at least for carry guns. I think the firing pin and safety pin springs are probably okay but could replace those too.

How many rounds do you guys use to function check to ensure function? A couple mags? More?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m might be wrong but just changing stock springs for stock springs I wouldn’t need but a mag or two to be pretty comfortable.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. Stock parts. I did 4 mags each just to double my pleasure. I’ll call it good then.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I’m might be wrong but just changing stock springs for stock springs I wouldn’t need but a mag or two to be pretty comfortable.

I'm with you. That's all I do for spring changes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
For spring changes I would not fire a round.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These parts don't fundamentally alter the gun. I'd say one magazine load is enough.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Changing the spring on a Glock? I wouldn't bother shooting it to verify function.

The caveat to that is that the trigger spring can be inserted incorrectly, and if turned 90 degrees, can cause a problem. You can determine that by looking, and by dry firing, without a need for a range trip.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Noted for future reference. Glock stock springs are good to go. You guys have generally taught me that an untested gun is an unreliable one. So I usually test at least one mag after cleaning. Wasn’t sure about part changes. I won’t worry too much about Glock springs now.

Thanks - I double check correct spring orientation now. It’s bit me before.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
One of my friends, a gunsmith, suggested that any time a gun is cleaned, to do the following - also with any new gun.

Load 1 round in a magazine, cycle, and fire.

Load 1, with the slide locked back, release the slide lock, and fire.

Load two, cycle and fire until empty.

Load mag full, chamber and top off the mag, and fire.

Those tend to cover the situations where guns can have issues.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
For my P210s? About a hundred thousand or so. For the rest of the junk pile...I don't know.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, after any changes to the insides of a pistol, the minimum task is to load two rounds in a magazine and fire one round. If you now have an empty magazine, you have a significant issue!

It can/will happen. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’ve maintained a fleet of Glock pistols for near 20 years. Put a lot of rounds down range in some of them. Glock has made some pretty good upgrades over the years. If you are shooting a gen 3 or earlier gun there is a good chance that it could use some of the latest upgraded parts.

For instance , the absolute most important spring on a Glock is the slide lock spring . The new spring is much more robust and strong and not as likely to snap off in your frame. It’s $3 or $4 and you should absolutely swap this spring out on any guns over 5 years old. My opinion.

The trigger bar was redesigned to stop breaking trigger springs. The old trigger bar is flat on the bottom , the new one is curved to accept the curve of the trigger spring. Absolutely change the old style trigger bar for a new one.

Striker springs are easy to change. A well used one will be much shorter than a new one.

The slide stop lever and springs used are stronger and better designed... I swap those out every 5-7 years too.

New mag springs are but a few dollars. Be aware that .40 and .357 sig now use extra power magazine springs (11 coil) instead of the regular 10 coil magazine spring used in the 9mm guns. A worthy upgrade here... me personally , I just sell my old mags every 5 years used for $16-18 on the forums and buy new mags at $22. A few bucks cost here every few years gets me new magazines, new springs, new followers.

If the gun is 15-20 years old or so it might be a good idea to have Glock rebuild it. They have greatly increased the durability of many parts.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post