SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you are on the fence about 320's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you are on the fence about 320's Login/Join 
posted
Disclaimer: I am not on the fence about the 320. I bought multiples and love them. My biggest problem is deciding on any give day which configuration I prefer. I only dislike two. The fullsize and the Carry. I bought one fullsize but quickly took the fullsize slide and put it on a Compact frame. Love this combo. I need some night sights, XC1 and this one could replace one of the home guns.

The point of this thread though is more specific. I wear Medium gloves. I have been using Medium Compact frames but recently bought some Small's off the classifieds and TGS had some in stock so I bought a couple more to continue my stippling journey.

The difference from Medium to Small appears minimal but in my hand it is a HUGE difference. Now that parts are becoming more common place (still looking for a 2gen takedown lever if anyone knows where those can be found) I highly recommend trying a Small. It turned a gun I love into a gun I love even more.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience. Switching from the Mediums to Larges caused my groups to noticeably tighten, and made me like my P320s even more.

Even though the Medium "feels" better in my hands, the results don't lie.

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a 250 fan, had a pair, Compact and SC. Tried an SC 320, love it. Got it with night sights, paid too much but I don't care. Already had a stack of mags for the 250.

If anyone cares, CDNN has thumb break holsters for the Compact/SC for 29 bucks. I bought one and they turned out to be Desantis Sky Ops holsters, which list for about 80 bucks.

The SC is great cause it doesn't dig into my side while riding, and the mags are short enough to be comfortable, too. I'd prefer huge capacity mags, but I'll just have to make do with 37 rounds.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

The difference from Medium to Small appears minimal but in my hand it is a HUGE difference. Now that parts are becoming more common place (still looking for a 2gen takedown lever if anyone knows where those can be found) I highly recommend trying a Small. It turned a gun I love into a gun I love even more.

Interesting, as I just commented in another thread about how changing the grip size made a huge (positive) difference in group size.

My hands are also medium glove size with slightly longer fingers (1/8").
Originally I thought the Compact medium sized grip frame felt fine and I still do.
However, I bought a Compact small grip frame, which felt a little better and my group sizes decreased markedly.
The pistol must have originally been shifting a bit in my hand without me knowing it.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Steve I think you are on to something. I do think the grips tend to shift, meander, in your hand as you shoot. It is mainly, for me, because the grip texture is so benign as to be useless and combined with the Mediums being just a hair too big for my mitt.

I stippled my SC small and the groups were tiny and spot on. I was shooting the SC and basically putting a mag into an inch and a half ragged hole at 7 yards which is the best I can do short of my MKIII/Volquartsen .22.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
If anyone cares, CDNN has thumb break holsters for the Compact/SC for 29 bucks. I bought one and they turned out to be Desantis Sky Ops holsters, which list for about 80 bucks.

It's the DeSantis FDO (Flight Deck Officer). It has a hole to put a padlock through the trigger guard, which used to be mandated by TSA for pilots who leave the cockpit with their sidearm.

I would never use that method for securing the pistol, but the hole does no harm if you don't use it.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that Desantis FDO holster and it is a perfect fit for my 320 compact ,also fits the Smith 4006 tactical CHP gun I just picked up with no problem looks like it was made for it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
pedropcola, How do you think the FS slide would look/work a top a carry size grip?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be fine. I just don't like the fullsize frame length. Personally any grip that extends beyond my hand when gripping seems like a waste, hence I'm a Glock 19 vs 17 guy, Compact vs fullsize, 228 vs 226, etc.

The Carry model is just plain out strange to me. My understanding which I have never researched to find out if its true, is that some PD's like the shorter slide assembly but the full capacity frame. That is seriously no bueno for me but your version would work fine. Basically a normal full size without the full length rail.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
How do you think the FS slide would look/work a top a carry size grip?

Works just fine. Fits all my Full Size holsters. Large weaponlights (TLR-1/X300) work too. Honestly, the extra several rail sections towards the muzzle on the Full Size grip are unnecessary.

Here's how it looks:

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose the argument could be made that the Carry model and the Full size are the same gun except that the Carry makes more sense. The extra rails at the front on the FS serve no purpose that I can think of. (I still don't like it, I bought the Xgrip adapters for my FS mags and need to karma the Fullsize frame)

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had to use the Large compact grip to get mine to tighten up from the Medium - there just never seemed to be enough room for my truly average sized hands on the medium.

Unfortunately that only served to make a larger compact pistol even larger.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky that I got little girl hands. lol

Hey Rhino, did you ever put grip tape or Talons on your medium? I only ask because my groups improved noticeably when I did my homegrown stipple. I found the gun as sold moves in my hand way too much. Sig needs to up their game in the tackiness of their grip module texture imo. Way too slick a texture out of the box.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I didn't because honestly I never warmed up to the P320C. It is too large for what it's bringing to the fight, although it gave me no real trouble aside from the grip issue.

I did scuff up the grip with some fine grit paper and that helped, but still it just isn't my first or fifth choice of carry pistol.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
..... Now that parts are becoming more common place (still looking for a 2gen takedown lever if anyone knows where those can be found)......

Try the TGS Notify feature, I've found it invaluable. Played cat and mouse for awhile waiting for both the O ring and TDL to be in-stock at the same time. Eventually got the notification. Stuff moves in and out of stock all the time.

I'm also a fan of the FS slide on the Compact grip frame. It's a real TinkerToy set. Here's my progression:

1) P320C 9mm in January 2015.

2) Added a P320FS .40 later. Hated the FS grip frame with the fat, ugly rail for two reasons. First, it had to be drawn fully vertical for nearly the full length of the muzzle/rame with my Blade-Tech. Any premature cant would bind it. Shorter Compact frame solved the problem. Also more aesthetically pleasing. Second, with the FCU in the Compact frame, I can switch between the Compact 9mm and Full Size .40 WITHOUT moving the FCU between two grip frames. Just pick a slide and pop off/pop on. Very convenient.

3) Bought a Small SubCompact no-rail grip frame for the Compact 9mm slide. Radically reduces the grip profile for low-profile carry.

Some say the modularity isn't a big deal. It can be if you think some of the options through. I was lucky when I started the project. The X-Change was still $300. I received the Sig 20% discount when I registered the 9mm purchase with Sig and ordered the .40 kit. No brainer at the time: Cost me $300-60=$240 net. The retail bump from $300 to $400 whacked a lot of potential buyers who might have been willing to explore some combos.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post