SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How about some FUN discussion. What's Your Favorite Handgun Caliber and Why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about some FUN discussion. What's Your Favorite Handgun Caliber and Why? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So far, for me, I'd say .45 ACP. It might partly be the pistols, but I shoot every pistol I have chambered for that better than any "similar" pistol in any other caliber.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I know this is a pistol forum but I had the chance to try out the Brennakee Magnum shotgun load this past weekend..
Wow is all I can say.

https://youtu.be/aRHmDaDnwDU

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
.357 Sig is a hoot to shoot!

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.40 S&W. I know... I know...

I find that .40 is one of the easiest pistol calibers for me to reload. I like the guns I own in .40 better than the guns I own in other calibers. I like the way the 180gr bullet sounds when it hits my steel gong at 400'.

Most importantly, I have had to rely on .40 in a life and death situation and it worked. You become attached to something that has worked for you like that. Real trust, not just gel block trust or "on paper" trust.

I'm not saying others wont work, or even that .40 will work every time.

Oh and one final reason... pistols in .40 are being GIVEN away now with the 9mm craze. I saw a G22 G4 with night sights for $269 the other day. Eek I piced up a P229R for $329.... you cant beat the deals on .40s right now.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
.44 mag for me. It is the one I've done the most playing around with at the reloading bench over the years, and the most satisfying to get right at the range.

Works great as a warm up too. A few blasts of .44 and then everything else is child's play.

This was back in the day, 25 yards offhand with a 4" S&W 629. The squares are 1":

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Hands down, .357 SIG!

It has a substantial authority in its report. Flat shooting and hard hitting.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Why 38 Super of course!
It shoots flat. With the right load & bullet it is on par with lower 357 mag velocity & power. It is easy to load. Reloading isn't much more expensive than 9mm, factory ammo isn't high priced either & it can use most any bullet from .355-.357 making it quite versatile.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10mm - what's not to like?

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For me personally.357 SIG is a great example of a fun round. For me personally I wouldn’t use it as a real defensive round (not because of some perceived lack of capability but it’s flash and bang). For pure fun though .357SIG is a blast both literally and figuratively and shoots flat.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another vote for .45 ACP from me. Why? 1911! Smile

I have to give a shout-out to .357 SIG, as well. I carried some P229s in the caliber over time - what a fun round!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.22 for sure. Low noise no recoil no brass to pick up no reloading bench time, low cost

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
38 supper comp a little smaller rim than the 38 supper so it does not have the stacking problems of the 38 supper. Easy to reload as has been said 9mm capacity and 357 ballistics. What's not to like! I just wish Sig would make something to shoot it in their classic line

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: August 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
.357 Magnum. Incredibly versatile, makes loud boom and spectacular light show from a 2.5" S&W Model 19.

.357 magnum for me as well out of my 6" model 19. Perhaps it's partially the gun too, but the report, the flash, and the hearty push that just tells you it's powerful, but not something you can't shoot 50 rounds of in a row like .500. Then I'd probably have to go with 9mm 2nd because it's comfortable to shoot 300 rounds in a range session and then .45 acp…….both out of a 1911 government would be my preference.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a pistol round, but my short range session with a bull bbl 22-250 was a blast.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
The one caliber I've always enjoyed is the 44 Special.
Either factory mousefart loads or handloads, the 44 Spl is the one I take pleasure in shooting.
Here's a Ruger 44spl Flattop Bisley with giraffe bone grips, a #5 style basepin, and 255grn Keith hardcast at 1050fps.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

10mm, same terminal ballistics as a .357 magnum, less recoil, bigger hole. And better terminal ballistics than the .45ACP, even than .45+P (comparing 180gr Underwood loads with Speer Gold Dot bullets). The 10mm is a joy to shoot in SIG's P220-10mm, where the all steel gun really dampens the recoil.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10mm is quickly passing up 357 Mag to be my favorite. It powerful enough for a hunting sidearm and cheap enough to shoot to be able to shoot regularly. 10mm ballistics dominate the other popular semi auto rounds.

I still shoot more 9mm than anything else though due to the cost factor. It’s not my favorite round, but its the one I shoot the most.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45 acp. Just plain love it. 22 is next. I have to self limit on range trips because I always shoot every single round I bring. 38/357 last but certainly not least. I have many classic target pistols that are humbling to test one's fundamentals with.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Full power 10mm. It’s fast and powerful.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sixty-eight caliber, plastic.

Because, Phillip José Farmer.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post