SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How about some FUN discussion. What's Your Favorite Handgun Caliber and Why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about some FUN discussion. What's Your Favorite Handgun Caliber and Why? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Now first and foremost this isn't any of the following...

-Whats the BEST handgun caliber
-Whats the most effective caliber
-What caliber should I buy for mutant ninja zombie bears.

This is just about your FAVORITE caliber. I like ALL calibers. I don't care if I have a 9/.38/.357/.40/.45 etc. etc. for SD purposes and that is not what I am talking about. I am just talking about my favorite one.

For me its gotta be .45 ACP. It was sort of my first love in handgun calibers and I just love em' I tend to like the following...

-The more muted sound/blast signature
-That heavy push of recoil that is both pleasant but feels like you are shooting something
-The romance of it. I mean its so American.
-Big old flying ashtrays. Doesn't make it any more or less capable but there is something comforting about big old hollowpoints
-Its just fun to shoot and makes big holes/tears in paper

Now would it be my first choice for anything super serious, probably not. Its not my bedside caliber, its not my carry caliber its not a caliber I would run to the hills with......it is however my favorite caliber that I just enjoy shooting.

I thought about .22LR but honestly I like my air pistols more then my .22LRs so .45ACP it is for me.

So how about you? .32ACP because you like to play Bond, .45 Colt because SAA's a cool? 9mm because who doesn't like a noisy mag dump for S&G every now and then. Maybe a .44 magnum because of that glorious blast, so what is it and why? What trips your fun trigger?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45 ACP. Because 9mm may expand, but 45 wont shrink.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
45 win mag because BOOM!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.357 Magnum. Incredibly versatile, makes loud boom and spectacular light show from a 2.5" S&W Model 19.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I also spell fun "357". I like the power, and how flat-shooting it is.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
.45acp in carry guns, .44 Mag for hunting.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I like the .40. My main sidearm is chambered in it. I like the tiny bit of "oomph" it gives, and it reminds me of the early '90s when I first started researching firearms and the .40 was the new hip kid on the block. It's both fun and nostalgic for me.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
38 Super, 45 ACP, 10mm, 9mm, 22, 380, 357/38sp and 45 Colt in that order.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
.50S&W.

1. .50 caliber in anything is awesome.
2. Really having to hold a pistol with both hands.
3. Taking 3 or 4 seconds to get back on target.
4. Spending a weeks pay for ammo for 1 range session .
5. Owning a pistol that comes with a sling is brag worthy.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.22 cheap and fun to shoot. Lots or good memories from scout camp and shooting with my father.

I also often wonder if I would be a better shooter if i put down the deathblasters and focused more on the fundamentals with a .22

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Just one...

Well I seem to have P220s, 2011s, and a Glock in .38 Super. Same thing with 10mm. Then again my 1911s are .17mach2 and 10mm. 7.65mm goes well with some P220s and a Glock. .41 Magnum is great in a Desert Eagle, but the 440s and 50AE are also fun to empty one handed. I do like getting 410s, 45 Colts, 454s, and a .460 with the same revolver. 40 S&W is smooth in a 2011 and other pistols as well. I also like P220s in 9mm Steyr. I do not have a 1911 in .45ACP or a Glock in 9mm.

What was the question again. Wink

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
.45ACP by a large margin. It's just the most fun to shoot.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I think it's the .45 Colt that makes me happiest.

It's the right combination of size, kick and ease of reload.

The rounds are big enough that I don't fumble them all over the place, and I can see the impact holes from far off as I'm shooting.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
For a pure grin factor I enjoy shooting my Dan Wesson 44mag with a heavy 8" barrel shroud installed.
Very controllable,not punishing,very accurate.
Good for 10 yards to over 100 yards.
Lets you know you just pulled the trigger on something!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357 SIG, been shooting it since it was first released. I bought a 357 P229 right after they came out; wish I still had that one! Right now it's a 5" SIG Nightmare 1911. That one's been fun to reload for, the extra room in the mag lets me long seat bullets that I couldn't normally use in the 357.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.50 BMG?

One favorite not listed so far is .22 Hornet in the Thompson/Center Contender. Nice boom and muzzle flash, accurate, no real recoil. Great for ground hogs and other varmints -- or at least a 12 oz. soda can filled with water.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Someone talked about "grin factor"!(armored) For me, thats the .480Ruger out of my Encore. Many shooters have had that unerasable smile after shooting that.

My best caliber, though, is .40S&W. I have a few pistols chambered for that, and, my duty weapon is a .40 Glock G22. I like the G23 better and carry that often (off-duty, of course)!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
If price is not a factor, 357 SIG. Flat shooting, with a magnum bark, and enough velocity to ensure reliable expansion from a wide array of defensive ammo.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357 Sig...very reliable, fast, hard hitting!

Matthew Logan

Posts: 414 | Location: NC | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
9mm, .45, .357 and .22

Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post