Notify
Tools

1906 Luger Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pony220:
Specifically I have been thinking about the DWM 1906 Brazilian Luger for sale at Cabelas. I like the 4 1/2 inch barrel. When I had a P08 the barrel seemed too short. But I worry about breaking an extractor and not being able to replace it.

extractors for the later lugers are available, not so sure about 1906's, (different shape IIRC)

for the absolute best source of info Luger wise,

head over to Jan Still's forum on gunboards,

those guys know luger's inside and out , backwards and forwards

not that you would not get good info here,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1916 Erfurt I enjoy quite abit. I shoot it with modern stuff but its obviously not a +p candidate. It did slamfire on one mag before I replaced the springs so I'd consider just getting a new spring kit if OP takes the plunge. A gunsmith can always check it out if OPs nervous which is understandable but I've found alot of the older stuff to be far better made than some of the stuff now as long as you arent running something through it you shouldnt.

I'll close on this for the OP and anyone else in the market. They dont seem to be getting cheaper, even the mixmasters. If you want it I'd get it.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Ok pony, I own a DWM06, a 06/24 and a 06/29 and I'm shooting these pistols for years with Swiss army ball 03. It's in the range of the original 7.65mm Luger DWM type ammo. A Brazilian contract 06 is of the same type like my Swiss DWM 06 or the commercially available ammo of todays make. Personally I have not experienced any problems with any of the three Lugers. If you are planning to shoot approx 200 - 500 rounds a year as I do, you wont have any problems. If the O6 is sound and matching, go for it.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends upon the condition. I won't shoot any collectible all matching Lugers. I won't risk a part breaking. I do have a Russian capture mismatched gun that I've fired a few times with standard pressure hardball ammo though.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me thank everybody for their comments and advice. I think that the only was to shoot a gun like this is to also buy a spare to keep for parts. That can be very expensive for a gun like this. I have only done that for one gun (a Walther P5) where the spare sits in the safe. To console myself, as I needed a new toy, I have just ordered a S&W 4506, which I am confidant will not break down. Thanks again to all.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post