SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    G43 ammo ?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
G43 ammo ? Login/Join 
posted
Which 9mm to buy ?

Posts: 128 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In smaller 9MMs with barrel lengths like the G43 (mine is a PPS 9MM), I prefer 124gr +P Speer Gold Dold JHP Short Barrel ammunition.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...t-short-barrel-20box

Some people will tell you the Short Barrel stuff is the same as the regular, but it isn't - visually the bullet is different, as is the performance.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot...old-dot-vs-gold.html

All others I go to Federal HST 147gr +P.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

In smaller 9MMs with barrel lengths like the G43 (mine is a PPS 9MM), I prefer 124gr +P Speer Gold Dold JHP Short Barrel ammunition...

Same for me, and this ammo only comes in the 20rd box.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post

Posts: 179 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Report This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Presume you're focusing on defensive loads. Federal HSTs is what I settled on. Tried 124gr, 147gr +P and 150gr Micro. I don't do gel tests, but the gun does eat them with aplomb. They also blow up 1gal milk jugs but good. When I carried my G43 whatever weight I can conveniently find was what was in the mags.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
124gr +P Speer Gold Dot JHP Short Barrel. Great stuff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4451 | Registered: December 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an excerpt of something I first posted about ten years ago. Short barrel Gold Dot is the round on the right:

9mm PPS Gold Dot testing into wet phone books

Like my equally unscientific fall 07 projects, I soaked four 2” books overnight. They doubled in size, and I ended up with about 15” of phone books which I put in a cardboard box. I fired all five rounds into the same end.

Target box:

9mm from my PPS at 5 feet: Left, Ammoman’s reclassified 124gr Gold Dot penetrated about 8 inches and expanded to about .5 inch. Right, 124gr +P short barrel Gold Dot penetrated about 8 inches and expanded to about .5 inch.

Summary: It was fun, very unscientific, and I’m comfortable carrying short barrel Gold Dots in my PPS.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the most reliable 9mm loading out of short barrels is the Federal HST line.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Report This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Federal 9mm HST 147 gr +P load. Use this in G43 and G26. Here is a Gel test of it in a 3 inch 9mm.

posted Hide Post
At the moment, in the G43, Winchester's Defend (from their Train and Defend line).

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience with the short-barrel stuff (which everyone seems to be recommending), but I feed my G43 regular Speer 124 gr +p GDHP, and it loves it.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: March 02, 2013Report This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I like HST 124g standard pressure. I carry +P in larger guns (G19 P2000) but they are a bit much in the little G43.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Federal HST 124 grain standard velocity. The 147 offerings seem to be vastly superior to previous generations in that weight class, but I think the 124 is the perfect balance of weight and velocity in the G43. I'd avoid +P offerings in this pistol. The standard velocity stuff will be more controllable.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107471 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
HST 124 grn. It is. Thanks to all.

Posts: 128 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I carry this in my Beretta Nano. http://www.hprammo.com/catalog/jhp/9mm-16/

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
thats impressive.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Report This Post