SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Stock Beretta 92A1 vs. Wilson Combat 92G Brig. Tac. A Few Thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Beretta 92A1 vs. Wilson Combat 92G Brig. Tac. A Few Thoughts Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I got the new Brig. Tactical to the range today and it was amazing. I also brought a stock Beretta 92A1 (except for wood Beretta grips). Here are a few thoughts / points of comparison.

-All Beretta's are smooth. The slides just always feel great. The Wilson Combats is like its riding on distilled unicorn tears. It makes the 92A1 almost feel gritty in comparison, it really is that smooth.

-The checkering on the Wilson is awesome. I like it much more then the 92A1s vertical cuts.

-The Accuracy was actually a wash today. Both Beretta's shot extremely well in my hands today at 8-9 yards.

-The Wilson U notch combat sights are great. Really fast to pick up and made for easy accurate shooting

-Side by side dry firing the 92A1 vs. the Brig. Tac. there really doesn't feel like a world of difference between them. The Brig. Tac. breaks cleaner in both double and single action. That being said on the range with live fire the Brig. Tac. trigger felt noticeably better.

-The VZ grips on the Brig. Tac. really make the gun feel MUCH thinner then my 92A1. I mean its a big honkin' gun, nothing to do about that but I was shocked at different the grips felt to me.

-The PVD coated mags or sand resistant or whatever look fantastic, but I cannot say they feel slicker to me. Now I won't be throwing my Beretta's in a cement mixer of sand so I probably won't ever test them properly. Big Grin That being said I wonder why they are limited to 15 rounds vs. the 17 round other Beretta offerings

-Reliability, its a 92......they run. Those that don't are usually beat all to hell or not maintained. As a rule I have found 92's to be some of the most reliable guns out there. Both the 92A1 and Brig. Tac. gobbled up 115 and 124 grain Nato with aplomb.

-The Brig. Tac. is so smooth in operation. You really do notice it while firing.

-G Decocker only is the way to go.

All in all I think the Brig. Tac. is a great gun that technically should be a standard Beretta offering. The parts upgrades are nice and the price for what you get is really not stupid money. Its a great gun and I am super happy with it and cannot wait to get more rounds down the pipe.

Sadly I might want to switch out my 92A1s grips to VZ as they work with my smaller hands better but the grips on my 92A1 look sooooo nice, so they may stay.

Is the Brig. Tac. leaps and bounds better then an off the shelf 92A1? Nope, not at all. Is it noticeably better in many ways, with useful, real world upgrades, absolutely.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 92G Brig Tac from Wilson and agree - on all accounts, even the 92fs being nearly the same.

It reminds me of the old Springfield GI 1911 - bare bones, essentially 1911-A1. Loose and no upgrades whatsoever, but holy-moly I miss it. When shooting, it reminded me of much more pricey upgraded 1911s.

Congratulations on your Brig Tac - it's a keeper.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. The Brig Tac is fantastic, and the 92 pretty darn good. Accuracy is about the same.

I did find that the Brig Tac mags maintain a consistent, easy pressure when loading. Some days that can be very important to me.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Brigadier 92. When I get the $, she's going to Wilson Combat! This post amped me up!

Posts: 20 | Location: Wrightstown NJ  | Registered: July 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a WC Brigadier last week .
Got it with the action tune .
Love it .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where these custom guns start to show superiority and pull away from the others is when you start shooting them at 25 yards and beyond and you will discover all the little features built into the customs make for better accuracy at extended range and it will often feel that attaining that accuracy took less effort on the shooter part.
Often in extended shooting sessions customs also have been modded and dehorned in such a way you are not reaching for the bandaids on the second day of a pistol class.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to thinking about this the other day. I was ready to buy the WC Brig Tac a few months ago and stumbled onto a deal for 2 BNIB Berettas. One Brigadier and one 92A1. I got both for a good price and started swapping out parts on the Brigadier. I eventually sold the 92A1 as I got into the Brigadier more.
The last thing I had done to the Brigadier was installing the WC sights. It's now done and I think I'm as close to a Brig Tac without it being a Brig Tac as I can get.
My Dad has a stock 92FS and it's head and shoulders above a stock Beretta.
Congrats on your Brig Tac.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post