SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    stupid question of the week: modifying P-38 mags for P225?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stupid question of the week: modifying P-38 mags for P225? Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Looking at my P225 magazines, they seemed very similar to Walther P-38 mags (which is no accident as the P-38 magazine was copied or borrowed or blatantly ripped off by about 50 other pistols).

sure enough, the mag bodies are an exact match, though the P-38's is longer. I tried inserting a P-38 mag into the P225 and it inserts too high and fouls the ejector. However when I held it in place a couple mm lower, it fed 5 shots perfectly. Has anyone tried to cut a P225 mag notch in a P-38 mag? I wonder if the follower would lock the slide back.

I know that P-38 or P-1 mags aren't necessarily a dime a dozen, but I paid $11 bucks each for a few several years ago, which is certainly cheaper than any P225 or P6 magazine around these days.

Just curious

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
If the difference is only a few mm's, will you be able to make a completely separate cut, or will you just end up enlarging the existing P38 hole? If it ends up making an enlarged hole, I doubt it would work well unless you also fashioned some sort of grip extension to keep the mag from over-inserting.

And I probably don't really need to mention that if your idea works, those mags would be range only.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
If the difference is only a few mm's, will you be able to make a completely separate cut, or will you just end up enlarging the existing P38 hole? If it ends up making an enlarged hole, I doubt it would work well unless you also fashioned some sort of grip extension to keep the mag from over-inserting.

And I probably don't really need to mention that if your idea works, those mags would be range only.
The P-38 has no cutout, as it uses the Euro-style mag release on the bottom of the grip.

Yeah, range-only for sure. Just sorta thinking out loud.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda wondered the same thing about S&W Model 39 mags.....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post