SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New HK SP5 coming to the U.S. in Dec.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HK SP5 coming to the U.S. in Dec. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Listen, you just need to relax. Really. Just cool it. You're trying much too hard. You act like you're drunk. Just cool it.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
OK, point taken. I was just trying to be amusing. Not trying to get under your feathers.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious question. I have never owned a MP5 other than my 22 version. Why wouldn’t I leave a round chambered in that thing with the safety on? Is there some danger? I am unaware as to why I wouldn’t.

As for accuracy, you own this place and you don’t tolerate foolishness so if tell me, me and my opinion will leave this thread, but no one and I mean no one shoots a handgun faster and more accurately than a properly setup carbine in the same caliber. I also contend that very few people would prefer to go armed with a handgun if they know that they are entering a fight.

That is not to be confused with the fact that most of us do exactly that. We pick a handgun for HD anyway. I have 4 handguns in small vaults around the house myself. I do it for practical reasons. They are small, easily “hidden”, and I don’t actually own a pistol caliber carbine/pistol that is suitable for HD. When all my kids are gone I would probably swap over to a rifle/PCC format. Mainly because even in a pistol caliber, I would rather confront an armed intruder with a rifle/carbine setup than a pistol. I shoot pistol matches all the time. When anyone shows up with a PCC they destroy the times and they are more accurate in placement. There are far fewer yips and pulled shots (misses).

If I’m comfortable using 9mm as HD, which I am, I truly think and could quantify on any practical test, that my performance would be better with the PCC format over a straight pistol.

Plus, I still regret sitting in my shitty Corpus Christi apartment in Navy flight school and thinking how expensive an MP5 was at something like 600 bucks. Lol. Oh the ignorance of my youth.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I don't want to speak for the man but I think he was making reference to every 80s-90s movie from Die Hard to Speed where a MP5 could not be used without the shooter first slapping the bolt handle to chamber a round causing a loud "ca-Chack". No one ever kept a round chambered in the movies.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Having fired the real deal on full giggle, I can certainly attest to its inherent accuracy both shouldered and sternum shooting at room clearing distances. But given the myriad of braced “9mm pistols” out there that work very well, I can’t see paying close to 3 grand for this just because “HK”.

Drop the price significantly, improve customer support, make accessories more affordable and they’d have a big seller. Way too many cheaper and reliable options at the moment.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In PCC type weapons, I have a SP5K, a Sig MPX (in SBR format), and a CMMG 9mm upper on a full auto M16 lower. They are all fun to shoot,but there is something about the way the SP5K feels that makes me really like it a lot. Of course, my early SP5K does not have a threaded barrel or paddle mag release. I wonder if HK USA will now do a barrel change and add paddle release to the SP5K? I know other people do this work, but haven't gotten around to sending mine off. Alternatively, I Am also considering selling mine to just get the new version with all this from factory. I really would like to use a suppressor with it.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Serious question. I have never owned a MP5 other than my 22 version. Why wouldn’t I leave a round chambered in that thing with the safety on? Is there some danger? I am unaware as to why I wouldn’t.

You've got two choices: leave the weapon off safe and empty chamber, or chamber and put the safety on.

The MP5 safety only works in a firing grip if you've got the thumbs of a very large primate (or just got really big hands in general). None of my friends can work the safety on an MP5 without breaking grip.

As for using a PCC for self defense - I've got a stack of ARs and chose to go with the MPXs in pistol format for home defense and road defense. It's got enough barrel for 9mm to be effective, whereas an AR that short would need to either be in .300 B/O or would be converting more than half its powder to flash, noise, and smoke. I've shot Commando-length, rifle-cartridge ARs in a variety of venues and they're unpleasant. A 7" or so AR...no thank you.

My house is little, compactness is key. The added benefit is that a quirk in the law will allow me to wander the land with loaded magazines for my MPX "pistol" in my vehicle, thanks to my carry permit. Not so for rifle magazines, despite how much I would prefer one of my carbines for any serious purpose outside of a residential structure.

Would I use an MP5 variant for that job? No. The controls are all wrong from my point of view and do not work for me ergonomically.

I'd love one of these things, and will buy one eventually - but not funsies, not serious work.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Walther made MP5 22 I own has the paddle release. I don’t have big monkey hands but have never had an issue with the safety. The push button mag release is another story but I’m not wandering my house during a bump in the night with an extra MP5 mag either though.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
...no one and I mean no one shoots a handgun faster and more accurately than a properly setup carbine in the same caliber.
Are you referring to the firearm pictured in the first post in this thread? That's not a carbine. It has no stock.
quote:
I also contend that very few people would prefer to go armed with a handgun if they know that they are entering a fight.
You don't say. You don't keep a pistol by your bed at night? I'm talking about the real world, not some fantasy where in each and every HD scenario, you have time to prepare.
quote:
That is not to be confused with the fact that most of us do exactly that. We pick a handgun for HD anyway.
No kidding. There's the real world again.

You like this toy, you really want this toy- fine, buy it. Buy two of them if you want, but this thing is not optimal for home defense, no matter how badly you want it to be.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You can use your new MP5 to fight your way to your pistol which will allow you to fight your way to your rifle.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well what I actually said was I would rather have a rifle or PCC as a HD weapon. I still have kids and certain other factors limiting my choices to handguns only. Once it’s just me and the wife and we live in a state that doesn’t severely handgun roster my choices I absolutely would put a braced pistol next to my bed, preferably in a pistol caliber. Not a fantasy just a practical decision based on my current lifestyle.

I would still choose a handgun caliber because I don’t feel under gunned by having a CZ75 P01, Cougar, MP9, and a GP100 as the four chosen weapons. I know for a fact that I could shoot a carbine version of any of those better and faster than my current selections.

Yes, I saw the posted picture. I assumed, correctly, that it would accept any number of commonly available braces. As for lighting, 2 of my current handgun options have no rail so I put a flashlight in there. Realistically I would probably just update the fore end and add a light. I love guns and price isn’t really a detriment so yes it could be costly.

Obviously the cheaper route is an MPX pistol. I really like the MP5 though. Overpriced? Hell yes it is. It’s just money though and this is my hobby in addition to being a very practical way of protecting me and mine.

As for shipping in that pictured configuration I ok with that because just like glocks I’m going to swap out the plastic sights for ones of my choice. I would do the same if their brace wasn’t the one I wanted.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have been holding off on a Gen 1 SP5K, but with these new tweaks (barrel, paddle mag) I might have to pull the trigger on one and close the feaux MP5K hole in my roller-locked collection.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Having fired the real deal on full giggle, I can certainly attest to its inherent accuracy both shouldered and sternum shooting at room clearing distances. But given the myriad of braced “9mm pistols” out there that work very well, I can’t see paying close to 3 grand for this just because “HK”.

Drop the price significantly, improve customer support, make accessories more affordable and they’d have a big seller. Way too many cheaper and reliable options at the moment.

^^^^
Agreed and I've also fired a real MP5 multiple times. I see no advantage to an MP5 over the Scorpion and the money you save can go towards training, ammo, and a nice red dot and you'll still be saving $$.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again a pet peeve of mine. If you prefer the MP5 over the Scorpion and you make a really good living, why not buy the gun you prefer even if it costs more. No one here ever mentioned training, ammo, or paying your mortgage as decision points in this discussion. Yet someone always has to wade in with how they would better spend someone else money. Fuck. You guys will finger fuck a Sig 210 Swiss made like it was the holy grail for goodness sake.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, at least the SIG P210 is precisely what it always has been- a very fine pistol, unlike the paperweight in question, which is a stockless, semi-automatic corruption of a select-fire submachine gun.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Some people, and I won't mention any names...

But... Some people have a surprising lack of imagination:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/sbt5a

Takes less than a minute to install. Eek

For those with the means and the patience to complete the ATF paperwork, a proper semi version of the venerable MP5 is easily attainable.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/217988

Paper weight? Not so much.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, at least the SIG P210 is precisely what it always has been- a very fine pistol, unlike the paperweight in question, which is a stockless, semi-automatic corruption of a select-fire submachine gun.

Well, I dunno' Boss.

Your logic is undeniable. The HK SP5, clones, knockoffs, and even the new offerings, ARE a paperwieght, stockless, semi-automatic corruption of a select-fire sub machine gun.

I don't know anyone who uses one for self defense. It fires sub rifle calibers, is heavy, and is outdated as to mounting points and accessories.

That being said, I keep a minty HK 94 A2 in my personal HK Library as a reference piece. It's value is some where around 5K, if that even matters. I will never sell it, and I will seldom, if ever, fire it.

If I had need of a small semi 9mm paperwieght, stockless, corruption of a select fire submachine gun, I would go to my B&T products long before the HK.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Some people, and I won't mention any names...

But... Some people have a surprising lack of imagination:
Listen, you and your butt-hurt are about to make a mistake. I told you to cool it, but you actually have the balls to follow me into other threads to try to soothe your hurt feelings. I'm telling you right now- do not follow me around this forum so that you can continue to show your hurt ass.

And thanks to you, Belgian, this thread is now locked. I am not going to play footsie with you.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
reopened

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again a pet peeve of mine. If you prefer the MP5 over the Scorpion and you make a really good living, why not buy the gun you prefer even if it costs more. No one here ever mentioned training, ammo, or paying your mortgage as decision points in this discussion. Yet someone always has to wade in with how they would better spend someone else money. Fuck. You guys will finger fuck a Sig 210 Swiss made like it was the holy grail for goodness sake.

You assume a lot about people and their decisions and views.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post