SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New HK SP5 coming to the U.S. in Dec.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HK SP5 coming to the U.S. in Dec. Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Yup... I'm getting a couple of them.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
As soon as they are available below MSRP,I will buy one.

People seem to be reporting paying as low as $2200 to as much as $2900-$3000 trying to reserve one. I’m in at just over $2K or so. No way I’d pay a premium.

It’s also being reported that the K is coming back with a trilug and paddle release.

I love the MP5. Could it benefit from a little modernization like a flared magwell and bolt hold open? Yes but it’s one of the softest shooters in the category and it’s iconic.

I love them and if you’ve never shot one full auto, you owe it to yourself to try it.

I wouldn’t want mine with a brace either. There are so many braces available now, it’s becoming personal preference. They even have a pic endcap so you can add a Sig style sidefolder now.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
MSRP is $2795.

Ouch. Didn't think it would approach that amount. Considering I'm interested in a Zenith ZP-5 at a thousand bucks less, that is quite a price to keep it HK. I love the idea of an HK MP5 product, but man, that is quite a difference.

You'll seldom maintain a healthy ROI with a Zenith, whereas these HKs will always maintain and grow in value. Obviously, different shooters have different end goals with their guns but for this offering I would think their target buyer is not concerned with "newest features", rather a chance to own a piece of iconic history. I am in for a new SP5 and SP5K.

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The reason I was interested in a Zenith was because I was dissatisfied with HK's last SP5k model; no paddle release (and changing design to discourage after market ones), the lack of threaded/3lug barrel, etc. But seems HK is not making these new ones as a limited production line, and if history is correct, pricing should come down later in 2020. Like gibby29, I would be in for one if kept just over $2k, and not $2800. Right now, the Zenith is on the far back burner...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I will be buying at least one of these if not all 3 models supposedly being released. I have an SP5k, but would have no problems adding another. I would also not mind having an SBR mp5 and a “new” HK 94 with a different name. Honestly any guns that I own except for my authorized off duty glock 26 and 43x are just for fun anyway. I like shooting MP5s and I also don’t feel the need to add red dot sights to them so that makes the overall price less too. I’m stoked that HK is getting these back to the market.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
They are already readily available.

Where? I don't even see this model on HK USA website yet.

Brace adapters and braces are readily available, not the guns. The guns will be unobtainable for a while after they're actually here.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Great news for registered sear owners. I wish they would sell barreled receivers as most sear owners have factory HK parts in a clone receiver.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll get one.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
An oversized 9mm. Let me know when they introduce an HK53 pistol.

YES!!!

That would be fantastic.

I have to agree. I was disappointed when the Zenith Z43s dried up. Wanted one "eventually" and ran out of time. Surprised PTR doesn't make one

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
What does it do that a G19 with a 33 round mag can't do?

For one thing, it can put all 30rnds into a palm sized group at 100m. Another, the roller locked action and 8” barrel will allow .357mag ballistics with subgun rated ammo that would kill a handgun.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ditto. Where?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I would definitely buy one,I fired a full auto one at buds gun range in Tennessee it was awesome.But unfortunately for me I live in New York.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
quote:

Ditto. Where?

To my knowledge, they are not "readily available". HK dealers are taking reservations, allotment of the first batch seem to be small in Dec, perhaps a few per shop.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
For one thing, it can put all 30rnds into a palm sized group at 100m. Another, the roller locked action and 8” barrel will allow .357mag ballistics with subgun rated ammo that would kill a handgun.
I just don't see the practical use of pistol caliber carbines, no matter how accurate they are. I've got a Colt 9mm AR I bought almost 30 years ago. I've taken it to the range one time. Once.

I couldn't care less if a pistol caliber carbine is accurate at 100 yards. I just don't buy firearms for which I have no use. I don't shoot competition. I don't plink. I don't target shoot except to check the zero and functionality of firearms I own, the purpose of which is to shoot- if necessary- living creatures, and that means, if possible, a rifle in nothing less than .223/5.56 caliber, or, if a rifle is not possible/practical/expedient, a handgun, and this doesn't mean a neutered, oversized semi-auto version of a submachine gun, not even if it cost a fraction of the 2700 bucks being asked for this thing from HK. To me, this thing is a glorified toy.

Who in this forum would whip out an oversized 9mm pistol to deal with human targets, when almost everyone here owns at least one rifle? The aforementioned Glock can be concealed effectively in more than a dozen different ways, along with spare magazines. Can you conceal this HK in any practical manner? Are you going to wear a trenchcoat at all times? If it's not on your person, why wouldn't you then choose- discounting pistols- a rifle? Or, a rifle caliber pistol with brace, which is, in effect, an SBR? It simply makes no sense to me at all.

When push comes to shove and you need to shoot at someone who is shooting at you, you won't want a pistol caliber carbine. You'll want a rifle or a shotgun if possible, and if it's at distance, you'll want a rifle, and the more powerful rifle, the better. You'll use a handgun if expedient, but when the pucker factor hits a ten, you'll desire a long gun in a powerful cartridge. And if you had to split the difference between handgun and long gun, you'd want that ersatz SBR to be in .223/5.56 or the like, not 9mm. There's a not too fine line between balls and foolishness.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I just don't see the practical use of pistol caliber carbines, no matter how accurate they are. I've got a Colt 9mm AR I bought almost 30 years ago. I've taken it to the range one time. Once.

I couldn't care less if a pistol caliber carbine is accurate at 100 yards. I just don't buy firearms for which I have no use. I don't shoot competition. I don't plink. I don't target shoot except to check the zero and functionality of firearms I own, the purpose of which is to shoot- if necessary- living creatures, and that means, if possible, a rifle in nothing less than .223/5.56 caliber, or, if a rifle is not possible/practical/expedient, a handgun, and this doesn't mean a neutered, oversized semi-auto version of a submachine gun, not even if it cost a fraction of the 2700 bucks being asked for this thing from HK. To me, this thing is a glorified toy.

Who in this forum would whip out an oversized 9mm pistol to deal with human targets, when almost everyone here owns at least one rifle? The aforementioned Glock can be concealed effectively in more than a dozen different ways, along with spare magazines. Can you conceal this HK in any practical manner? Are you going to wear a trenchcoat at all times? If it's not on your person, why wouldn't you then choose- discounting pistols- a rifle? Or, a rifle caliber pistol with brace, which is, in effect, an SBR? It simply makes no sense to me at all.

When push comes to shove and you need to shoot at someone who is shooting at you, you won't want a pistol caliber carbine. You'll want a rifle or a shotgun if possible, and if it's at distance, you'll want a rifle, and the more powerful rifle, the better. You'll use a handgun if expedient, but when the pucker factor hits a ten, you'll desire a long gun in a powerful cartridge. And if you had to split the difference between handgun and long gun, you'd want that ersatz SBR to be in .223/5.56 or the like, not 9mm. There's a not too fine line between balls and foolishness.

Well Para, you bring up some good points regarding the rifle caliber vs pistol caliber argument.

With regard to your experience with the Colt 9mm AR, IMO there is a pretty big difference between the roller locked action vs. the Colt's rather crude blow-back action. Further, whereas the MP5 (and perhaps just as importantly it's magazines) have been vetted by years of service in multiple agencies world wide. Many consider the Colt mags to be hit or miss with respect to quality/reliability. In any regard, I think side by side, the HK would be far more enjoyable to shoot.

With respect to lethality, I think 30rnds of 9mm Double Tap, Underwood, CorBon, etc. from an 8.9" MP5 barrel at velocities close to 1500fps would likely translate into a reasonably effective home defense carbine in most anyone's estimation. Also, the roller locked action would likely make shooting such powerhouse ammo far more palatable than any blow-back action. Shooting any firearm indoors without hearing protection would likely be very unpleasant but a SBR length 5.56 would probably be far worse than 9mm. Just a speculation based on my experience as an AUG owner. As a pistol, one must consider the benefit of it being SBRed. It would then gain from the additional points of contact allowing more natural and accurate aiming than a conventional handgun.

Finally, I'd like to address the main point of your post (as I understand it)... The prospect of a 9mm handgun with the size and weight of an MP5.

It was a good many years ago, I purchased a brand spanking new SP89, which cost me $1900 out the door. I took that thing home believing I had this wonderful trophy of Germanic excellence. It was beautiful! It had the factory test target, (you know I love those things) factory styrofoam lined box and oh, those german proof marks and date code! I was in gun owner's Heaven!

But then...

The specter of buyers remorse started to creep in. I began to have "practical", "logical", "well reasoned" thoughts as to just what a 5lb. chunk of steel could actually do for me that my venerable G22 couldn't actually do better at a fraction of the price, weight and size.

That's not all...

When I was in the store making my purchase, I had also noticed in the gun cabinet a brand new fresh from the Colt custom shop Hard Chromed Colt Special Combat 1911. These were the days before I actually knew the difference between a 90's era Colt "Custom Shop" pistol and a real custom 1911. As the night went on, thoughts entered my head... I could be shooting the living shit out of that Colt on a regular basis and it would literally NEVER show any visible wear, due to the hard chrome finish.

Sinister thoughts persisted in my mind...

I came to the realization, that the Colt would be FAR more "practical" as I could actually enjoy going to the range honing my shooting skills with that gleaming chrome beauty. It was then I formulated my plan to return that brand new factory fresh SP89 and get the Colt. It made lots of "practical" sense at the time. And so, I did... The gun shop owner told me that I was making the mistake of a lifetime. He would let me trade back the SP89 for the Colt and let me have my extra $300 back on top of it. I went ahead and completed the transaction that to this day I regret.

I ended up having a litany of issues with that Colt. It mocked me for eschewing my taste for Germanic precision in lieu of UAW mediocrity. After no less than three (3) trips back to the manufacturer, they FINALLY got it ironed out to my satisfaction. I realized that as aggravating as my Colt experience was, it was NOTHING compared to the fact that that SP89 eventually climbed in value to the $5K range. My Colt? Not so much. So, in retrospect, I can honestly say trading back that heavy, oversized 9mm pistol was the biggest firearm transaction mistake I ever made, all in the name of "practicality".

A few years later and "wiser", I visited another gun shop. There it was hanging on the wall... I naturally assumed I was beholding a minty Springfield Armory imported clone of a Belgian FAL. I asked the owner if it was such. He replied No, it's the real thing. It's a Belgian LAR 50.00.

I heard Valkyries singing... I asked to behold this life-long object of my affection. The silky smooth (schlick-schlack) sound of the action locking into battery, well oiled steel on steel locking into place. For the love of God! It could be mine for the pittance of $1800. It may have been a cloudy day, but the sun was shining in my mind! I was about to become a Belgian FAL owner! I envisioned myself a modern day Dennis Hopper (minus the smoking and narcotics)! As I was about to complete the transaction, the shop owner told me, wait a minute, I might want to take a look at this first...

From behind the rack, he pulled out a lightly used, registered MP5SD. Mouth agape, I fondled that beauty. Visions of Die Hard, in my head. Shop owner told me that I could process the $200 tax stamp and have the MP5SD for $2800 and change.

Now, here's where I get real stoooopid...

I said that seemed like a LOT of money and I didn't want to hassle with all the ATF Class 3 paperwork stuff. The owner told me that it's really not as bad as it sounds and he believed it would be a GOOD INVESTMENT. So, as you might expect, I went ahead and got the FAL. Yes, it was a great rifle and I still have it. But, while it did appreciate to some degree, I could have made REAL money on the MP5SD, or more realistically I could have just kept it and had a great firearm.

So, Para I would encourage you and all our brothers on the forum to at least consider these new SP5s and what they could offer as an SBR or with a brace. As a matter of fact, I'd have to say there is probably no better firearm to have SBRed than an SP5. To me, it's really the ultimate SBR. I really doubt a 5.56 with an 8.9" barrel would be as "practical"

Naturally, $2799 seems a lot to spend these days. It seems to me few firearms have the track record or are as iconic as the MP5. For me, the SP5 is akin to Nick Cage's Eleanor. The one that just keeps getting away. Except for me... There are many Eleanors, some of them German, some of them Swiss, some of them domestic and at least one of them, Alien.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Para,
Good and valid points indeed.
I know that many like the notion of the HK SP5 for its "allure value", and so this comment may not apply to this particular thread, but...
Is it just me or does there seem to be a large shift in people intentionally moving away from .223 for home defense, probably because of blast and noise concerns?
Scott

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2800? My guess is people will try and scalp them for way more money. My ugly Ruger PC Carbine and cheap Glock mags it uses is looking better and better.
I get it may be an investment. And its an HK.
But I cant get past the 2800 bucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
With regard to your experience with the Colt 9mm AR, IMO there is a pretty big difference between the roller locked action vs. the Colt's rather crude blow-back action. Further, whereas the MP5 (and perhaps just as importantly it's magazines) have been vetted by years of service in multiple agencies world wide. Many consider the Colt mags to be hit or miss with respect to quality/reliability. In any regard, I think side by side, the HK would be far more enjoyable to shoot.
This has absolutely nothing to do with my points, or why I have no interest in pistol caliber carbines. Using the example of the ubiquitous 16" AR15 carbine, the pistol caliber versions are merely cap guns when compared to their rifle caliber counterparts. In the same length barrels, 9mm carbines produce less than half the energy of their .223/5.56mm counterparts, and that's being generous about it.
Same size and for all practical purposes, the same weight, and the 9mm has no greater magazine capacity than the much more powerful .223/5.56. Someone is shooting at you. You know which caliber you would choose.
quote:
So, as you might expect, I went ahead and got the FAL. Yes, it was a great rifle and I still have it. But, while it did appreciate to some degree, I could have made REAL money on the MP5SD, or more realistically I could have just kept it and had a great firearm.
Again, this has nothing to do with my points. You're certainly entitled to speculate on commodities, but that won't mean anything when you require a firearm for self defense.
quote:
Naturally, $2799 seems a lot to spend these days. It seems to me few firearms have the track record or are as iconic as the MP5. For me, the SP5 is akin to Nick Cage's Eleanor. The one that just keeps getting away. Except for me... There are many Eleanors, some of them German, some of them Swiss, some of them domestic and at least one of them, Alien.
Which makes it a toy- something of which you're desirous, but just as with suggesting that this neutered submachine gun will make a good investment, it has nothing to do with my points or with the intended purpose of firearms of this type.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be giving this HK SP5 a hard look once they are finally available. I just very recently purchased a Z5RS, and it runs 100%, and is very accurate. I don't know how I could be more pleased with this firearm. I really enjoy taking it to the range, and it is such a smooth shooter. I know that I will NOT be selling my Z5RS, but I will give the SP5 a thorough look-see......one never knows!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
For the reasons Para listed, I wouldn't buy one of these, or any PCC for my defensive weapons. Rifle it is and if I have to use my pistol, it's because it's my only option. In the words of Clint, use your pistol to fight your way to your rifle.

That said, if funds are right at the time, when these are available, I'll likely get one. Why? MP5s were my primary gun for many of my early SWAT years, before committing fully to the rifles and the "one and done" that they are now. Purely for nostalgia.....I want one, be it a pistol or go the SBR route. Fortunately, I still have a good pile of magazines that I held on to, just in case....

I'll not shoot it much, but I will shoot it. Probably a bit more than my MPX, UZI and Colt 9mm SBR. Just because.... If I only owned guns from a practical standpoint, I'd have like 5 total.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post