SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PPQ M2 vs M1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PPQ M2 vs M1 Login/Join 
posted
I have been looking at these pistols and am wondering what is differet about them. sights perhaps?

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Mag release. The M1 has the European paddle style where the M2 has the more common button style.

I am an M1 kinda guy but it’s kinda a “Religious” thing for most shooters and if I were to GUESS you would be more happy with an M2.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
The mag release is different on them. The M1 has the flip/flap paddle style, the M2 has the push-button "American" style type.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
The thought behind the paddles is that you retain you grip with releasing the mag...if I were a lot younger I would go with that, but I'm an old dog who is a one trick pony.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the information. The paddle is somewhat like the HK releases. I could go with either one I'll just check availablity for the choice.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The M2 feels a bit odd in my hand. I am annoyed by the very broad flat Walther created to- I guess- protect the mag release buttons. This shelf sits on the middle finger of your shooting hand. I strongly prefer the M1 paddle release setup of the M1. It lacks this shelf, and the M1 actually feels narrower than the M2, although a caliper would prove this impression to be false. I guess it's because the weight of the pistol sits on that finger and although it's hard to describe exacty, it feels like my finger is being...umm...smothered. Roll Eyes

The PPQ M1 uses the very same magazines as the P99, the only differences being markings, surface finish treatment, and follower color.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
LH shooters will prefer the paddle release on the PPQ M1 and P99.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The market has spoken and I ended up with a PPQ Q4. It has a threaded barrel and is optic ready. Too bad, I didn’t want either of those things but I can just ignore them for a while. It does have the great mag release and comes with 3 magazines. And, the trigger seems good.

Why is it that many of the great guns come with a friggen rail? Even the pocket size 365 comes with a rail. How many of these things do we need? I can understand that the night table gun should have a rail for a light but they are of no value on my other guns. Some manufactures have even started building 1911’s with rails. How ugly can you get? I have purchased 4 pistols in the last 3 months and every damn one of them has a rail. Not enough choices.

Rant over, I do like the PPQ.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
LH shooters will prefer the paddle release on the PPQ M1 and P99.

The M2's mag catch is reversible.

The PPQ M1 (that also for a brief period was called the 'Classic' by Walther) has been my preferred configuration. Even being a righty, I like that I can use my trigger finger to drop the empty magazine and still leave my hold on the grip more or less unmoved and intact, which is also why I like the non-button release VP9 so much. With the button guns I always have to shift my grip in order for my stubby thumb to reach the release.

-MG

Posts: 1980 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the paddle release but 100% of my pistols have the traditional button so I have stayed with it.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites is the PPQ 5” M2. I took that slide and put it on my M1 frame- love that combination. I just have to remember to bring the correct mags to the range.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I like the M1 and HK paddle releases.
I don't have to shift my grip at all for mag changes. And just wanted to say that my girlfriend has a PPQ M1 made in 2011 that has the best trigger for a stock striker fired pistol I have ever shot.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Color me in the M1 camp. I carry mine daily since the summer riots started getting friskier. I generally had carried a single stack prior.

I also believe I can retain my grip better with this HK style release. Also I had no idea the M2 had a different grip feel till I read Para's earlier post. To this day, I have never picked one up.

One thing you never hear mentioned is that with the paddle release, it is impossible to release the magazine while holstered. I had no idea before purchase but now consider this to be one of the primary, favorite reasons why carry this style in the PPQ and PPS.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of PPQ's in .40, both M2's with the button mag release.

I have paddle releases on my HK's. They work fine. I'd prefer a button mag release. I never cared for heel mag releases, or really, the paddle releases, or even the thumb decocker on the back of the slide. They're all useable, but consistency counts for a lot among firearms, and I like the release the same type among my firearms, and the same place.

The PPQ is a decent pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I prefer the M1 variant with the bilateral mag release myself. Tight shooting pistol either way.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly ambivalent about it.

Both styles of mag releases work.

I've gone through paddle phases and button phases. I think it's mostly a matter of training though I understand hand and finger size can play a role.

While both types work, I do think, if you want to shoot your best, you should pick a type and stick with it.

Muscle memory under stress and all that.

These days I'm using buttons. They work well for me and practically speaking, choices in paddle guns are getting more and more limited.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post