SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hogue rubber grips on a P229?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue rubber grips on a P229? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone tried the HOGUE soft overmolded rubber grips on a P229?

I have them on my P239 and several Ruger revolvers and really like them.

Any experience/advice from the P229 owners?

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:

The rubber grips on the 239 is great. But, rubber on the P229 or any double stack SIGs will be a disappointment for you, unless you have big paws.

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only complaint is that the rubber tends to grab your outer clothing if carried IWB. A far as quality- Hogue has had them pretty much bullet proof for a long time. I've seen many worn pairs on LE guns that might not look so cool but still feel great.

If I had to guess, I'd say definitely the most common replacement grip for many pistols.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I use their regular molded rubber grips (no finger grooves version) on my P228 and one of my P229s; I found those work extremely well for very little cost. Not pretty, but pretty damn good.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOVE the overmolded finger groove grips on my P229 (and P228). If you have small hands they may be big for you, but with my big hands they're the only pistols I have proper real estate for my support hand.

The only tiny drawback is the finger groove is a bit tight to the trigger guard, so I get a little squish feeling, but it's a small price to pay for making the P229 feel otherwise awesome.

As for concealed carry, it is my EDC and there's no issues catching clothing.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131 & Buddy;
Yeah, they are great on the P239. I really like 'em!

What started all this is . . . the LGS has a pretty good sale right now on a plain jane P229 with the factory grips.
Don't care much for the grips but the price is almost too good to pass up.
All it would need is the Hogue monogrip.
And a Short Reset Kit fron SIG.
And maybe some TrijiCon night sights.

OH GOD, somebody stop me before I spend more money ! ! ! ! ! !

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Hogue grips on most of my Sigs. They just make it fit and feel better in MY hand. To each his own. If you don't like them, you'll have no trouble selling them here in the classifieds.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the finger groove and non-finger groove Hogue rubber grips for my SIG 226 and they feel great and reduce recoil even further. The only problem is I have medium hands and with the thickness of the 226 it is much harder for me to grip the gun and draw out of the holster. The finger grooves were just simply too thick to use even at the range. The non-finger groove rubber grips were better and gave great traction but still too thick. I switched back to the SIG stock grips which are okay but I would like better ones on my handgun.

I tried the Hogue G10 plane and checkered grips but were not that impressed. The plain grips were nice and thin but they did not seem to be that much different than the stock grips IMHO. Much more durable but they still gave me the same feel as the stock grips.

The checkered grips were good but the checkering was too aggressive for my hands and tastes. So I am back to the stock grips.

If you have big hands the rubber grips are fantastic.

Good luck with your choice and happy shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've had Hogue overmoulded rubber grips w/finger grooves on my P229 for about 18 years...I have medium/small hands, but love them.

Also have the same ones on my P220

My P229/.40 is my EDC.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Have them on my 226, 239 and 229. Prefer them to the original Sig grips in all cases. Hands aren't particularly big and have no issues with any of them.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had stock P229 grips, then the Hogue overmolded rubber finger groove grips, then just regular Hogue rubber grips, then eventually the Hogue G10 checkered grips.

My preference is for the Hogue G10 Checkered first, then a close second is the Hogue overmolded finger groove grips. Both have their pros.....I'll have to give the G10s more time before I declare those my definitive favorite, but it's looking like they'll be the winners in the end. I'm gravitating more toward grips without finger grooves, and prefer a checkered, G10 material vs. rubber as I think I actually shoot better w/out rubber grips...not sure why, and still figuring that one out.

But yes, for the money, the Hogue finger groove grips for your P229 are totally worth it. G10s are nice, but expensive. Granted, I'm nearly finished changing over all my P-Series SIGs to the G10 grips, so apparently I like them...but I don't know if I'd issue a blanket statement that they're clearly worth the price increase over the regular Hogue overmolded grips.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Like some have mentioned, my first preference on a 229 was the checkered G10s. Before that, I used the non-finger-grooved rubber Hogues and they worked well for me. The finger-grooved version was uncomfortable for me.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I have them on my 239, 230, and 232. I had a bastard 228 that had them and I did not like the feel. I will stick with the single stack.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with the Hogue rubber panels on my P226 and P229 pistols, as has my wife on hers none with finger grips. I cut off the finger grips on our P239s.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I have them and like them. I've been using them on a 229 for several years now and have no complaints.

On one of my dads guns we have the aluminum grips and they are good but for my 229 I like the hogue. It's a cheap enough option you aren't really out any big $$$ if you don't like them.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I didn't do the full wrap around but rather the 3 sided grips.
Nice & thin !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have big hands, so when I carried the M11, 228, and then the 229, I always used the Hogue finger groove rubber grips. They were great, and filled up my hands much better than the stock grips.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grumpy;
Are those the Hogue G10 grips???

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

The rubber grips on the 239 is great. But, rubber on the P229 or any double stack SIGs will be a disappointment for you, unless you have big paws.
I respectfully disagree. I have average size hands and my P229R with Hogue rubber finger groove grips don't cause me any issues.

However, my favorite grip resides on my P229ST and it's a Hogue G10. It's much more expensive than the rubber, but IMO it's worth it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grumpy;
Are those the Hogue G10 grips???

Nope, just thin Houge rubber grips.
They actually feel thinner than the plastic did.
YMMV

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post