SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    accidental discharge with X-Compact
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

accidental discharge with X-Compact Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
DaBig,

So right thumb on the back of the slide but to the right side of the cocked hammer. Thus, you’re still preventing the slide from moving but not trying to do so by positioning the thumb over the cocked hammer? Makes sense.

10round,

I got a bit lost with your description. It seems that you were contradicting yourself but I probably misread or misunderstood.

Thanks all.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
[B]ut not trying to do so by positioning the thumb over the cocked hammer?

Unless one is holstering a cocked and more-or-less “locked” pistol with a manual safety, there should be no reason to holster the gun with the hammer cocked. Placing one’s thumb on the hammer ensures 1. that it’s not cocked, and 2. that it doesn’t get cocked or start moving back because the trigger is being pressed during the holstering process. I always recommend that even with SIGs having DAK triggers.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
[B]ut not trying to do so by positioning the thumb over the cocked hammer?

Unless one is holstering a cocked and more-or-less “locked” pistol with a manual safety, there should be no reason to holster the gun with the hammer cocked. Placing one’s thumb on the hammer ensures 1. that it’s not cocked, and 2. that it doesn’t get cocked or start moving back because the trigger is being pressed during the holstering process. I always recommend that even with SIGs having DAK triggers.

If you look back a few posts, you’ll notice that I was specifically asking re an SAO Sig and thus cocked and locked. If I were instead holstering the DA/SA 226 that I’ve owned for 31 years, I indeed would first decock it.

Sorry, I had hijacked the thread to inquire as to SAO and thus added some confusion vs the original theme.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, then. Thanks and sorry for confusion.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I don't know. I've seen it slice open shooters hands enough to require multiple stitiches. I've seen slide action blacken eyes and cause some real bruising. Placing the thumb on the back of the slide on a striker fired pistol accomplishes absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, zippo, unless the pistol contains something like the striker control device (aka "Glock Gadget"), which chase the user has direct control over the striker and thus trigger.

I've seen and demonstrated this in classes. With slightly firm pressure, the slide just does not move and the round is not ejected. This has also happened to me twice on a USPSA stage when I was shooting support hand only and my thumb was up high and pressed against the slide, resulting in what I refer to as a "slide stall."

(Jones posted the video above in this thread.)

As for benefits... I run both DA/SA guns and strikers. This way, I'm doing the same thing all the time. For the striker, I can feel if the slide is coming out of battery as I'm (slowly) putting the gun into the holster. If anything is in the holster - like an ejected case from another shooter on the line - the slide might start coming out of battery.

As for a 1911 - I would move my thumb over to ensure the safety stayed on during holstering. I was able to do this with all of the holsters I used.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late response, just saw this thread...

Good to hear that the root issue was resolved, but after reading the initial post I'm having trouble visualizing the reholstering technique that allowed the thumb to be pressing on the rear of the slide and the fingers to be at the muzzle.

Posts: 30 | Location: B'ham, AL | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thank you for the update. No one likes to air the circumstances of an incident like this (at least I don’t), but we all benefit when someone does.

I have certainly learned from this report about the necessity of properly matching holster to gun especially striker fired guns.

EasyFire
https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://whyy.org/articles/sept...at-suburban-station/

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post