SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    accidental discharge with X-Compact
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

accidental discharge with X-Compact Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
used a holster that my Sig Pro rides in. I thought it was an ok fit but a little (!) tight.

I'm thinking this is an issue. Pressing on the back of the slide will not be an issue.

The width for both the SIG Pro and P320 is listed at 1.4 inches, but that certainly does not mean the holster will fit properly around and near the trigger guard.

quote:
I did try and duplicate and with a slight sideways push on the trigger (fingers outside the trigger guard), the striker fires.

I'll assume this was done while the gun was going into the holster? ...

I'm assuming the trigger is being "grabbed" here as you push down in the holster. That would indicate the trigger is being pulled through pressure and tension.

quote:
I think to push the gun deeper into the holster

This all seems to add up to using an improper holster that snags/grabs/pinches the trigger and starts pulling it back. Then you pushing the gun deeper continues the process until the striker is released.

If you'd like to share a video of what's happening, that may make things more clear.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Just to confirm your P320 will fire with only lateral pressure on the trigger, no rearward movement?

And the Virginia “incident” was not the fault of the gun, was user error. Sorry for the career ending injury she suffered but even more sorry that Sig settled on that one.

yes lateral pressure , can not duplicate with my Sig Pro or 226, while both cocked in single action. Something inherent to a striker ?

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is no way that gun should discharge with some lateral trigger pressure. Something is wrong.

By far the lightest striker fired trigger I have ever fired was a Walther PPQ and, although,I wouldn't be comfortable carrying it, it certainly wouldn't go bang without a deliberate pull. I have handled an X Carry and the trigger is good but nowhere near PPQ good and certainly not hair trigger lateral movement dangerous.

What you are seeing certainly doesn't seem like a "striker" type thing. At least not with any I have seen and I have shot a LOT of guns.

I have also used holsters that were either not bespoke or were designed for a very similar gun but always test unloaded like has been said. That being said you need a quite a lot of movement of leather or have a holster grossly misfit most firearms to cause an actual discharge. I am not saying your holster didn't exacerbate the issue but if you can drop the striker with some lateral trigger movement, that gun is in technical terms....BROKE.

Put me in the send to SIG camp and if possible let us know what they find/fix?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
yes lateral pressure , can not duplicate with my Sig Pro or 226, while both cocked in single action. Something inherent to a striker ?

No, not inherent to a striker. If that's true, sounds like there's something broken with your gun. Not something wrong with P320s as a whole, or certainly not striker fired guns as a whole.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Update? Didja call Sig?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been watching this thread since it was posted. Given the issue a lot of thought. Beginning to think this is above our pay grades. Back to Sig.

Disclaimer. I'm a decent amateur gunsmith. Never had an issue I couldn't correct over 50 years. That's with guns I am knowledgeable in. However, NO expertise in the P320 FC mechanism (upgraded or non-upgraded). I own only non-upgraded P320's (2015). They require a firm pull to the rear. Vigorous wiggling in all directions does not result in firing.

My presumptions:

1) OfficerDave is describing precisely what happened. In many cases the descriptions are suspect. Not here.

2) The P320's now have the firing pin block (FPB). If the FPB is functioning properly, the trigger must physically depress the plunger via the linkage from the physical trigger. UNLESS the release lever is somehow spring loaded and the spring moves it (after release by the trigger movement itself), rather than a direct physical movement from the trigger (think Series 80).

3) Moving the trigger sideways shouldn't result in firing. Rearward yes, sideways no. With the suspect pistol, how does it fire when the trigger is only pushed sideways? If the FPB is operating correctly, doesn't seem it could be activated with a sideways push on the trigger. This could be a clue.

4) Impingement on the trigger from the incorrect holster. Don's see how that is possible. Trigger is shielded by the guard. I can't detect any flex in the frame on my P320's when force is applied. Foreign objects have been discounted as well.

5) Can't see how pushing on the rear of the slide should cause it in a properly functioning P320. Again, how would the FPB be activated or bypassed?

I'm not trying to make a case for any particular cause. Just pointing out that some things that don't compute (combined with my own P320 internals ignorance):

- First, we are assuming the pistol has no mechanical issues. We don't know that to be the case though. Need Sig for that determination.

- Second, for me at least, I have trouble relating to all those damn springs in strikers. I'm used to engaging surfaces and parts, like with revolvers, classic Sigs and 1911's.

OP, thanks for sharing the incident. I'll be very interested to see how this was mechanically possible. Glad you weren't seriously injured. Easy for me to say, since it wasn't MY finger. Smile

CORRECTION:
Actually, the new/upgraded P320's do NOT have a firing pin block (FPB) as I mistakenly stated above. However, it does have a disconnect cut in the slide with a corresponding mechanical dis-connector (disconnects trigger from sear) on the top of the trigger bar. Function is different from FPB. Unlike pre-striker pistols, I find the strikers somewhat confusing.

The Sig upgrade video has a good explanation. Would have been nice to have found some good animations though.

https://www.sigsauer.com/suppo...0-voluntary-upgrade/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m in agreement with those that say lateral pressure should NOT result in a discharge. I’d be calling Sig and shipping it with the RMA label they are sure to send you immediately.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you outside of the holster make it go off with lateral pressure? Unloaded of course.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
He said in the OP that it went off when he was pushing it into a tightly fitting holster meant for a different gun.
If there is lateral pressure on the trigger from the holster and forward movement of the gun into the holster, that's just pulling the trigger.
The gun is doing what it was designed to do, fire when the trigger is pulled.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
He said in the OP that it went off when he was pushing it into a tightly fitting holster meant for a different gun.
If there is lateral pressure on the trigger from the holster and forward movement of the gun into the holster, that's just pulling the trigger.

^^^ Yep. Because, unless you can demonstrate that it goes off with lateral pressure only (outside the holster), that's how I see it happening.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
Did not try with an unloaded gun with the striker stressed. Not real familiar with striker guns. I did try and duplicate and with a slight sideways push on the trigger (fingers outside the trigger guard), the striker fires. EMPTY ! gun of course. Never seen that on my P Series Sigs. Guessing while pushing down , with slight ! sideways pressure on the holster, that was just enough to fire the gun. Calling Sig anyway to check operation of the gun. Will see what they say.

Eek well that's disconcerting. As a previous poster suggested, first verifying the gun is unloaded, cycling the slide to stress the striker, are you able to repeatedly put side pressure on the trigger or wiggle it sideways and get the striker to release? Forget any draws or insertions for this check...omit the holster from the equation. Would you be willing to video this check and post it here?

I don't own a P320 X-Compact, for anyone that does would you be willing to try this same test with your example?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Officerdave describes "a slight sideways push on the trigger," with "fingers outside the trigger guard."

How can the trigger be pressed at all with fingers not entering the trigger guard? It can't. The only interpretation I can imagine is that the trigger was pressed sideways against the holster during reholstering, which would be allowing whatever concave area exists in the holster trigger guard to press the trigger aft and release the striker.

I would like to know what happens when this pistol is used in a P320 holster. I've seen no issues with the x-grip (x-compact, x-carry, etc) in a P320 holster, and this ought not be any different.

That the holster in use is for a different firearm indicates that the first step in evaluating is to try the pistol in a holster designed for that pistol, and eliminate the offending Sigpro holster.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
What are the actual model number and SKU number stamped on the Don Hume holster you’re using?

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
What are the actual model number and SKU number stamped on the Don Hume holster you’re using?

quote:
...used a holster that my Sig Pro rides in.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
what others have thought. Holster not real tight BUT if it covers the trigger incorrectly , I can see it pushing against the trigger and firing.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Don Hume H721OT-NO. XD40-4 ALSO LISTED FOR THE SIG PRO

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The first time I put a gun into a holster, it's not loaded. Because I'm testing fit, then practicing with it.

Holsters not made for a particular model can work... but I always like to use holsters that list the model I'm putting in it.

I don't doubt the trigger got pulled somehow when you stuffed a gun into a holster meant for a different model.

I'd like to know as much information as possible, but I think we already know two things:

Use the right holster.

Try it with an unloaded gun first.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Could you have inadvertently 'pushed down' more on the frame rather than the slide, racking it even slightly as it was holstered? That combined with a holster designed for another platform may have contributed?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I ever decide to buy a X-compact or 365, mine will have the manual thumb safety option.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The first time I put a gun into a holster, it's not loaded. Because I'm testing fit, then practicing with it.

Holsters not made for a particular model can work... but I always like to use holsters that list the model I'm putting in it.

I don't doubt the trigger got pulled somehow when you stuffed a gun into a holster meant for a different model.

I'd like to know as much information as possible, but I think we already know two things:

Use the right holster.

Try it with an unloaded gun first.
Did try it before unloaded, only real issue I saw was the barrel did not go to the bottom of the holster. Thought ok why not use this one until I get a nice Kydex for this gun. Always hard to remember specifics, but I KNOW the gun was holstered.