SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    accidental discharge with X-Compact
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
accidental discharge with X-Compact Login/Join 
Member
posted
ok put my new X-Compact into a to tight leather Don Hume high ride holster. Well I pushed down on the rear of the gun ( habit from pushing down on hammer Sigs) , the gun went off. NO I did not have finger on the trigger, as it was in the holster and covered by a trigger guard. Ok IS IT possible that the holster flexed and fired off the X-Compact? Finger at the bottom of the holster took a muzzle blast and I lost some flesh on middle finger. Just wondering if its the 320 discharge in Virginia issue again or just my dumb luck … I have had other striker fired guns but not for long. Mostly DA/SA Sigs... thanks guys bit by my new Sig I will NEVER hear the end from my blue brothers ….
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Foreign object in the holster maybe??

Only thing it could be unless the holster deformed and pulled trigger.

Was it designed for the Xcompact?


"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
 
Posts: 4376 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Is the gun modded in any way, or a full factory X? When I say modded, I mean any alterations from stock.

Time to try and duplicate (empty of course) as I too was trained to ride the rear of the slide into a triple retention holster to keep it in battery.




"In America, there is no such thing as poor people, there are lazy people."- Edmond's dad
 
Posts: 10869 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
no mods, box stock.. used a holster that my Sig Pro rides in. I thought it was an ok fit but a little (!) tight. Others have thought the trigger guard flexed and set off the trigger. Yah I know STUPID to use a holster not made for the 320 X-Compact. Long story but lesson learned Maybe strikers are not for me.
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Dang Officerdave, glad to hear you are OK other than a little flesh from your finger. My guess is that it was due to the holster not being designed specifically for the P320 X-Compact. Personally I will only carry a striker fired pistol in a quality all kydex holder specifically designed for the specific pistol that completely covers the trigger guard.


“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”
― Benjamin Franklin
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."
― Margaret Thatcher
 
Posts: 8980 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
agree grumpy1 darn I know better but thought I would go cheap and use one holster for two.... my finger missing a hunk of flesh will be a good reminder!
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I would call SIG and ask them if they would take a look at your gun and why.


_____________________________________________________
Sliced bread, the greatest thing since the 1911.

 
Posts: 16989 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I would call SIG and ask them if they would take a look at your gun and why.
First call in the morning
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
no mods, box stock.. used a holster that my Sig Pro rides in. I thought it was an ok fit but a little (!) tight. Others have thought the trigger guard flexed and set off the trigger. Yah I know STUPID to use a holster not made for the 320 X-Compact. Long story but lesson learned Maybe strikers are not for me.


DONT rule out striker fired!

Unload that gun, double/ triple check it...
Check it again.
Then set it up just like it was when the gun went "BANG".

See if you can repeat what happened.
Is it the gun? Something in the way? Just the wrong holster?

If you can't figure it out then, I'd look at sending it back to Sig Sauer.


_____________________________________________________________________

"When its time to shoot, shoot. Dont talk!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
 
Posts: 5771 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that as I'm getting ready to put several Ft. Huachuca folks through a class with the new pistol.


Scouts Out
 
Posts: 1083 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
officerdave, unlike some I won't fault you for attempting to use a holster designed for a different model gun, as there are some holsters that will safely secure guns they weren't designed for...but it was negligent of you to shove a loaded gun into the holster without first doing some due diligence and repeatedly testing the overall fit and trigger clearance to see if there was even the tiniest bit of interference using an unloaded gun with the slide cycled to stress the striker.

Years ago I had an IMI Baby Eagle that perfectly fit a Bianchi leather thumb break pancake designed for a Glock 23, and I have a MS VMII designed for a SIG P229 but I wanted to be able to carry a P226 in it. After first verifying that the P226 fit it well (very slight muzzle and front sight protrusion out the open bottom) I laid a bead of grease on both sides of the P226 trigger. From slow insertions with minimal force and progressing to more forceful insertions, even attempting to twist the gun slightly during insertions. I even cocked the hammer and tried inserting the gun with the trigger in the Single Action position just to simulate a possible "bone head" move on my part. I probably inserted the gun 40-50 times over more than hour, with a trigger inspection during the insertion and after each insertion. Only when I repeatedly confirmed that no grease was left on the inside of the holster and that the bead of grease on the trigger sides was undisturbed did I load the P226 and carry it. The only thing required to carry the P226 in this holster is a slight pinching closed of the holster mouth to slightly increase the retention friction.

Sorry to hear you were injured but glad that it wasn't worse.
 
Posts: 4569 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
officerdave, unlike some I won't fault you for attempting to use a holster designed for a different model gun, as there are some holsters that will safely secure guns they weren't designed for...but it was negligent of you to shove a loaded gun into the holster without first doing some due diligence and repeatedly testing the overall fit and trigger clearance to see if there was even the tiniest bit of interference using an unloaded gun with the slide cycled to stress the striker.

Years ago I had an IMI Baby Eagle that perfectly fit a Bianchi leather thumb break pancake designed for a Glock 23, and I have a MS VMII designed for a SIG P229 but I wanted to be able to carry a P226 in it. After first verifying that the P226 fit it well (very slight muzzle and front sight protrusion out the open bottom) I laid a bead of grease on both sides of the P226 trigger. From slow insertions with minimal force and progressing to more forceful insertions, even attempting to twist the gun slightly during insertions. I even cocked the hammer and tried inserting the gun with the trigger in the Single Action position just to simulate a possible "bone head" move on my part. I probably inserted the gun 40-50 times over more than hour, with a trigger inspection during the insertion and after each insertion. Only when I repeatedly confirmed that no grease was left on the inside of the holster and that the bead of grease on the trigger sides was undisturbed did I load the P226 and carry it. The only thing required to carry the P226 in this holster is a slight pinching closed of the holster mouth to slightly increase the retention friction.

Sorry to hear you were injured but glad that it wasn't worse.


Did not try with an unloaded gun with the striker stressed. Not real familiar with striker guns. I did try and duplicate and with a slight sideways push on the trigger (fingers outside the trigger guard), the striker fires. EMPTY ! gun of course. Never seen that on my P Series Sigs. Guessing while pushing down , with slight ! sideways pressure on the holster, that was just enough to fire the gun. Calling Sig anyway to check operation of the gun. Will see what they say.
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
slight sideways push on the trigger

The gun should only fire with a straight to the rear press or pull on the trigger, with your finger wrapped fully around the front of it. If you were pushing on the side of the trigger and the striker let go (my interpretation of your wording), this is bad. Also, if you decide to send the gun back, I'd ask about sending the holster with it. Loose accessories sent with guns have been known to get lost, however.
 
Posts: 22583 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
slight sideways push on the trigger

The gun should only fire with a straight to the rear press or pull on the trigger, with your finger wrapped fully around the front of it. If you were pushing on the side of the trigger and the striker let go (my interpretation of your wording), this is bad. Also, if you decide to send the gun back, I'd ask about sending the holster with it. Loose accessories sent with guns have been known to get lost, however.
nope just tried again. side pressure and off it goes ….. I remember pushing down on the rear plate ( habit from holstering DA pistols).I find it hard to believe that my finger, at the same time, got under the trigger guard cover of the holster. I will of course send in the holster , for Sig to check. Who knows but I tried to duplicate with my UNLOADED ! Sig Pro cocked in single action. Nope, I had to get my finger around the trigger to set it off. Just saying
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
Did not try with an unloaded gun with the striker stressed. Not real familiar with striker guns. I did try and duplicate and with a slight sideways push on the trigger (fingers outside the trigger guard), the striker fires. EMPTY ! gun of course. Never seen that on my P Series Sigs. Guessing while pushing down , with slight ! sideways pressure on the holster, that was just enough to fire the gun. Calling Sig anyway to check operation of the gun. Will see what they say.


I would not think a little sidewise pressure on the trigger should allow the gun to fire. That seems to be me to be a defect.

Definitely warrants a call to SIG, IMO. I would not be comfortable with that and, although I'm not a striker-fired expert, it's dangerous. The only thing that should fire the gun is actually PULLING the trigger.
 
Posts: 17134 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
slight sideways push on the trigger

The gun should only fire with a straight to the rear press or pull on the trigger, with your finger wrapped fully around the front of it. If you were pushing on the side of the trigger and the striker let go (my interpretation of your wording), this is bad. Also, if you decide to send the gun back, I'd ask about sending the holster with it. Loose accessories sent with guns have been known to get lost, however.
nope just tried again. side pressure and off it goes ….. I remember pushing down on the rear plate ( habit from holstering DA pistols).I find it hard to believe that my finger, at the same time, got under the trigger guard cover of the holster. I will of course send in the holster , for Sig to check. Who knows but I tried to duplicate with my UNLOADED ! Sig Pro cocked in single action. Nope, I had to get my finger around the trigger to set it off. Just saying


I wouldn't think putting your finger on the rear of the slide when holstering, given nothing else, would cause it to fire.

I have routinely done this with hammer fired guns. All my striker fired guns go in Kydex and there is no need to push on the back of the slide to holster the gun safely. Never tried it, but would be stunned if it caused and issue routinely when there isn't something wrong with the gun.

As egregore said, only pulling the trigger should cause the gun to fire.
 
Posts: 17134 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
my thoughts are the same....I push down on the hammer of my DA/SA Sigs out of force of habit ( gun cant go off if the hammer is down). I specifically recall pushing on the back of the slide , I think to push the gun deeper into the holster ( its for a Sig Pro, so the compact barrel is a little short)
 
Posts: 274 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
These reports will always prompt replies that consist of nothing more than inane or obvious criticism, but it’s important for the rest of us to know when something like this happens.
Thank you and please keep us posted.




Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-imposed nonage [immaturity]. Nonage is the inability to use one’s own understanding without another’s guidance. This nonage is self-imposed if its cause lies not in lack of understanding but in indecision and lack of courage to use one’s own mind without another’s guidance.”
— Immanuel Kant
 
Posts: 40250 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mark with something on sides of the trigger that will transfer and contrast with the color of the holster like a crayon.
Put the unloaded gun into the holster a few times then check inside the holster to see if you can see what's touching.
Glad to hear you are mostly unhurt. Good lesson for the rest of us.
 
Posts: 5315 | Location: North GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Just to confirm your P320 will fire with only lateral pressure on the trigger, no rearward movement?

And the Virginia “incident” was not the fault of the gun, was user error. Sorry for the career ending injury she suffered but even more sorry that Sig settled on that one.



A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
 
Posts: 2117 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    accidental discharge with X-Compact

© SIGforum 2019