SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do you like for all around sights? (1911)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for all around sights? (1911) Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Going on the trend with my 1911 threads.

I have zero to no experience with aftermarket sights. They've always been manufacturers sights or Manufacturers night sights. (Example: Sig X-Ray or Glock night sights)

The slide is cut for Novak sights. I know there is no one trick pony. Is there a happy medium to the following:
- Target Shooting (Paper)
- Fast Acquisition
- Low light shooting in case its first I grab at night.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I really like the 10-8 Precision solid black rear sight sitting behind a red fiberoptic up front. The rear has a "U" shaped notch. They came standard on my Wilson Combat and I upgraded to them on my Shield(s) and Glock 19.

For night sights, I like the Trijicon HD's. The rear uses the same "U" shaped notch with 2 small tritium inserts and the front has an orange dot with a small tritium insert. Just like the 10-8;s the front blade is a bit narrower than the rear "U" notch to allow light to pass by. I have these on my FN 509, and my Sig 228 and 229.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Dawson precision bomar rear and FO front.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

This is my favorite for all 3 conditions mentioned. Green FO front and black rear U

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

This but with fiber optic front and back.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
XS Big Dot front with green tritium.
Novak black rear with a widened notch for clearer light-bars.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Heinie, plain black rear notch and your choice of front (tritium, gold bead, etc). I had that set up (gold bead front) on 3 1911's. The bead picks up really fast in the AZ sun. Or just Heinie Straight Eights for a stock set.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
This is what I have (specifically ordered) for my 2 Guncrafter commander size 1911 that I use for CCW.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Heinie Straight Eights for a stock set.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrutro
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD sights for me. As my eyes have aged, it's become harder for me to focus on the front sight. The larger outline on the front sight together with the U notch and tritium only dots on the rear make it much easier for me to get and keep proper sight alignment. I've put them on every gun that I may carry.

Posts: 894 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: April 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Nighthawk installed sights, I like them even better than the gold bead on a Wilson I have but they're close, the fiber sights with the blacked out rears just "pop" more, especially in low light conditions.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
This is what I have (specifically ordered) for my 2 Guncrafter commander size 1911 that I use for CCW.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Heinie Straight Eights for a stock set.

After reviewing. I ordered the Straight Eights. Seemed to be a nice all around sight. I like the flat black backs with the white fronts. Should be nice for shooting paper but the trijicon inserts for night time.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrutro:
Trijicon HD sights for me. As my eyes have aged, it's become harder for me to focus on the front sight. The larger outline on the front sight together with the U notch and tritium only dots on the rear make it much easier for me to get and keep proper sight alignment. I've put them on every gun that I may carry.

As an added bonus, when your Trijicon tritium grows old and dims, Trijicon will relamp them for a mere $20 a tube.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put Dawson’s on everything now. Their completion sights are my favorites. Thin front, fairly narrow rear but still enough light to be fast.

Posts: 166 | Registered: February 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrutro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
As an added bonus, when your Trijicon tritium grows old and dims, Trijicon will relamp them for a mere $20 a tube.

Wow, that's good to know. I'll have to write myself a reminder note and put it somewhere where I'll find it in 12 years.

Posts: 894 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: April 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post