SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 Bobbed Hammer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 Bobbed Hammer Login/Join 
posted
Considering a CPII Nickel Boron Nitride finish on the slide and controls of my P228 Nitron finish DA/SA and might want to swap hammers prior to doing this.
Can anyone recommend a slightly bobbed hammer that won't effect the reliability of my Sig?

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, you would have to have someone modify a standard hammer for your purposes. I’m unaware of any factory or aftermarket bobbed DA/SA hammers. I’ve never gotten a coherent answer to the question of whether reducing hammer mass compromises ignition reliability, and why, but I can attest that I used bobbed hammers in my double action only SIGs for a number of years and never had any problems.

FWIW, these are the weights in grams of factory hammers for the main Classic line SIG pistols. The lightest of the bunch is the DAK hammer and they work fine as well.
Hammer, standard, DA/SA: 21.0 gm
Hammer, spurred, DAO: 19.7 gm
Hammer, bobbed, DAO: 18.0 gm
Hammer, DAK: 16.7 gm

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Sigfreund and as always this forum has a wealth of information that members share.
Robertsons Trading Post has them but just now sure if I like that look.

http://robertsonstradingpost.g...s-Ship-Free-P6PT.htm

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
Robertsons Trading Post has them ....

Very interesting. I had never seen that version hammer before, but if they were modified to use in training guns, that would explain it.
Hmmm … should I spend $40 to add one to my collection? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that Robertson's have West German P6 for $459.00

posted Hide Post
Would a P224 hammer work?

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loaded Round:
Would a P224 hammer work?

I just held my P224 beside my P228 and they appear to be the same hammer on the outside at least.