SIGforum
Commander 1911 - change to a GI type recoil spring?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1140030344

June 13, 2018, 12:07 PM
striker1
Commander 1911 - change to a GI type recoil spring?
Is it possible?

Model in question is a RIA ULTRA TAC II MS.

I’ll leave it as is if it means I might introduce unreliability into the pistol.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

June 13, 2018, 12:42 PM
arcwelder
You need the right length of spring, so a "GI" spring is too long. GI being 5," I use Wolff for my replacement springs.

You can try different weights if you're having reliability issues, the oompa available in different brands of ammunition may mean you want to switch to a lighter spring. Just remember what weight you've got in there.

Or do you just mean it has a guide rod right now, and you want to switch to a plug and no guide rod?

The answer is yes, if you mean can you eliminate the guide rod. Having put many rounds through many different 1911s, with and without, I'd say if there is any benefit to a guide rod, it is small.

As far as spring weight in a 1911, the only time I've had to change springs due to ammo, is with 10mm. Haven't experienced the need with .45 carry ammo or other.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

June 13, 2018, 01:20 PM
tha1000
as pointed out, a GI recoil spring would be too long. I doubt the gun would cycle, and if it did, you would be in need of a new bushing in short order due to coil stacking.

June 13, 2018, 03:11 PM
striker1
Yes I’m looking at doing the spring, rod, and plug instead of the flgr. Sorry, I meant GI in terms of original.

Because this RIA has a bull barrel, I think I need a:

Reverse plug
Recoil Spring
Commander-length guide rod

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

June 13, 2018, 03:41 PM
tha1000
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Yes I’m looking at doing the spring, rod, and plug instead of the flgr. Sorry, I meant GI in terms of original.

Because this RIA has a bull barrel, I think I need a:

Reverse plug
Recoil Spring
Commander-length guide rod

I can honestly say that I have never seen a bull barreled 1911 without a flgr...