SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on Bond Arms Derringers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Bond Arms Derringers Login/Join 
posted
What are your thoughts and experiences with these? I've always been intrigued by them, and would like to know how they are. It would be for a range toy/plinker, and maybe for euthanizing poisonous snakes. Definitely not for any serious defensive use. Are the interchangeable barrels worthwhile and easy to purchase?

Thanks!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
What are your thoughts and experiences with these? I've always been intrigued by them, and would like to know how they are. It would be for a range toy/plinker, and maybe for euthanizing poisonous snakes. Definitely not for any serious defensive use. Are the interchangeable barrels worthwhile and easy to purchase?

Thanks!

Had one in 45C/410. Results of my limited ownership: Two shots of 410 - thinking I'd use it for snake departures. Not sure it would be accurate enough, unless I was several inches away from the target (defeats the purpose when dealing with copperheads). Very loud and "snappy." But, for me, the worst aspect of the one I had was it weighed about 48 pounds.

I now have a 317 using snake shot. Imho, a better snake departure system.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Always seemed gimicky to me. Not practical.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have a Snake Slayer IV with two 4-inch barrel sets: 357 Mag and 45 Colt. Bond allowed me to trade in my unfired 45 LC/410 barrel for the 45 Colt only barrel.

The Bond Arms is very nicely machined and finished. It is a quality firearm although somewhat impractical. It is definitely a short range gun, 7 to 10 yards at most. I only shoot relatively mild loads or recoil can be stout. I found mine to be more comfortable to shoot with the trigger guard removed. The most frustrating feature to me is that the upper and lower barrels are not regulated to the same POI, so you get two separate groups. It is a fun toy as a plinker or for dispatching snakes, etc. You will often find used ones for sale because the novelty wears off.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
In the past I've always thought these were cool if something of a novelty whenever we would bring these in. Almost bought one a couple of times in years past but some other gun would come along, smitten me and get in the way of finalizing the deal. Nowadays even Bond has an alternative gun I'd be more in buying than one of their Derringers with their XR9-S reboot. Maybe someday I'll finally get one, but not something I'm willing to hold my breath on.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Functionsl, so long as you can count on being in a two-shot gunfight.

If just for entertainment, it doesnt really matter.

Otherwise, there are a lot of options with greater capacity, lighter or equivalent weight, and better ergonomics that can be had in reliable, concealable, affordable packages with much larger holster selections.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Not a Bond Arms, but I inherited an American Derringer in .32 H&R Mag from my dad. I thought it was cool and also wanted to make a snake tamer out of it. But after looking at the expense of doing so, I settled on simply buying .38 CCI shot shells for the S&W 642 I already owned. Half the weight and 5 shots instead of just 2.

The derringer is a fun novelty item and gets some attention when I bring it out. But after a dozen shots or so my hand is done and I re-learn the lesson that exposed-trigger derringers are just not practical defensive guns.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have one in 45/410 that works well on snakes

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Derringers are a historical novelty item, but I don't think it is even subjective to say that Bond Arms makes the be$t derringers on the market now.

Before I continue, I fully agree with this post: Most uncomforatble handgun load/gun. Two other people have shot it once, but did not pull the trigger again. But then it was loaded with 3" .410 000 buckshot shells. 2 1/2" shotgun shells designed for handguns do not cause so much pain.

If I were to buy a Bond Arms derringer today, I would choose this model - Backup - watch video if interested in owning one, subjectively in 9mm. Other than the self-evident issue of only having two shots to fire, my Bond Arms derringer is at least just as reliable as any handgun that I own.

The "only two shots" problem can be addressed to a degree by Doubletap Ammunition's Equalizer™ cartridges which have a hollow point loaded in front of lead ball, resulting in 4 potentially lethal projectiles instead of two. I have posted a photo on this forum of the results of a 10mm Equalizer™ penetrating a 2x4. A BA derringer would not be my selected choice for a BUG, but they would certainly be effective in 10mm.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
So far I've dispatched three rattlesnakes with my .410 Snake Slayer while mowing on my property.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who owns several, and uses one for EDC. He has several 1911s, Sigs, revolvers, but Bond in .45 is his choice. To each their own.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I have occasionally used BA derringer with rubber grips for EDC in 10mm or even hiking on occasion, but, for me, it was really just for the novelty of carrying a derringer.

I assume that your friend is carrying in .45 ACP and not .45 LC? I ask because, I couldn't get .45 LC bullets to stabilize in the .410/.45 4".25 barrel. I assume this is because there is not enough rifling in the barrel. I don't have that barrel with me, but it seems like there is only around 1/2" of rifling in that barrel.

posted Hide Post
I too will someday buy one "just for the fun of owning it" but keep in mind: if this is an EDC piece, you only have TWO SHOTS. If given the choice between carrying it or a sub-compact Kahr MK9/SIG P232 sized pistol, I'd pick either of the latter. As a matter of fact I think I'd rather carry my Beretta 950 in 25 acp or Seecamp LWS32 and an extra loaded mag. But to each his own!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
New video posted by Hickok45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYEUd9tyg0

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever seen him as unenthusiastic about any weapon in the past, which mirrors my feelings about those.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
It was an obvious mistake to give Hickok45 the custom engraved barrel.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
and maybe for euthanizing poisonous snakes.

It is way overkill for snake killing. A .22 revolver with CCI pellet rounds is more than adequate.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Functionsl, so long as you can count on being in a two-shot gunfight.

If just for entertainment, it doesnt really matter.

Otherwise, there are a lot of options with greater capacity, lighter or equivalent weight, and better ergonomics that can be had in reliable, concealable, affordable packages with much larger holster selections.

Have never ever considered a derringer. Of any kind or quality.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
It is way overkill for snake killing. A .22 revolver with CCI pellet rounds is more than adequate.

Some Giant Constrictor Snakes in Florida weigh up to 200 pounds! Smile