SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Please help me decide what my next .22 pistol should be.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me decide what my next .22 pistol should be. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I recommend you save up a bit and find a Smith and Wesson Model 41.

Everyone else who has responded thus far is incorrect, and also deep down wants you to get a model 41.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well gee, I agree on the S&W 41 but I also like the Browning BuckMark and Ruger Mark IV. Shoot them all and make a choice.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with my Buckmarks.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I really like that 41, Arc! I do really like the Ruger 22/45 mark IVs. I also find the m&p 22 intriguing. I will have to try some of these out.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Thanks everyone. I like the Rugers and buckmarks. I had a Ruger mark II with about 30 mags. Wish I still
Did. I just fought too hard getting it back together after disassembly.

I've never understood this. Yes, they're different. But once you've done it a half-dozen times it's just not that big a deal, IMO. My Mk. I is like an old friend. If I had to get rid of my collection, that would be one with which I'd most regret parting.

That being said: If I were going to buy today, the Walther PPQ 22 is currently at the top of my list. In fact I may buy one just to have a "real pistol"-style .22 LR.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Somehow, I was unaware of the Ruger LCRx! I know it’s not a semiauto but I like it!

Also, I think I have decided to keep my eyes peeled for a Beretta 70.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First while the SW 41 is perhaps my favorite .22 it is not really good for kids as the size, shape and weight are simply much much higher than the best alternatives. The ruger 22/45 lite is very good, the victory a bit heavier but also way less than a 41.
Anyone who complains about a current production ruger on disassembly is silly.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I'm late to this party but I'll throw in my two cents. I have three .22 semi-autos. S&W Victory, SR22, and a Browning 1911 Black Label Compact. In the past, I also had a P229 .22.

The P229 was accurate and handled like any other P229, minus the recoil. After about 200 rounds, it was dirty and began to have trouble cycling. If you wanted to continue shooting, it needed more lubrication or cleaning.

The Victory produces small groups but is heavier, as already noted. It is pretty easy to completely disassemble, clean, and reassemble

The SR22 fits my wife's hands better and is accurate as well. It is lighter, but the DA pull is heavy.

The Browning is 2/3 the size of it's .45 counterpart. It's light, has a smooth, crisp SA trigger, produces small groups, but Browning doesn't appear to be known for their product support. The sights on the standard model are difficult for my eyes to focus on, being like original 1911 sights. The Black Label, as well as some other models, uses a more conventional style of sights with a similar sight picture to SIG sights. Although the pistol produced small groups, a number of people, including myself, found the groups to be much higher than POA regardless of brand of ammo used.

I contacted Browning customer service and was told they didn't offer any other sight heights for the pistol. I wound up stoning the rear sight to bring the POI to the POA.

Everything, but the P229, would eat as many rounds as I wanted to fire, over several range sessions, and continue on without additional lubrication or cleaning.

If I were to pick one pistol to keep from the these, I would pick the Browning even with the sight needing adjusting.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I recommend you save up a bit and find a Smith and Wesson Model 41.

Everyone else who has responded thus far is incorrect, and also deep down wants you to get a model 41.

I have an exquisite, premium Volquartsen Scorpion that is utterly flawless, and even I secretly want a S&W 41...it's a great classic pistol enough to cause a fair amount of buyer's remorse, no matter what else you buy.

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
S&W Victory still is my choice of the lower priced 22s. Lots of accessories available from grips to barrels. The adjustable trigger from Tandemkross is a great upgrade. If I would be going high dollar then the S&W 41 would be my choice.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mark IV. The 22/45 variants, particularly if you are a 1911 shooter.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Ruger MKIV. Every gun safe should have one inside it. Barrel config is a matter of personal preference; I’m partial to my 6” bull barrel.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post