SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Please help me decide what my next .22 pistol should be.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me decide what my next .22 pistol should be. Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have a heritage and a Walther P22. No complaints with either but I feel like I need something a little better for teaching my kiddos to shoot. I’ve always liked S&W 422 types but they seem hard to find.

I’m just wondering what my brothers and sisters here recommend? Thank you in advance!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Ive not tried very many 22 pistols but my wife and i love the Beretta 87 i got her. Also, kind of hard to find. But reliable as the ammo is.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Ruger semiautomatic, choose whichever model you fancy.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There's a couple of decent Ruger revolvers out there as well, for whatever that's worth.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Buckmark

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SR22. If you go with a revolver, try the Taurus 94.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mark IV with Red Dot. Great Pistol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the Ruger SR-22 and the Mark IV 22/45. Both served me extremely well and I think you’d be well served by either one. The SR-22 may be a better fit for small hands if that’s a consideration.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Buck Mark (pick your favorite flavor of many) or Smith & Wesson Victory. Both have been excellent for me and our house. Both guns are very reliable, superbly accurate in general, and easy to maintain, handle, and fun to fire for the whole family.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm going to dissent a bit. I have an SR22, which I purchased to teach my kids to shoot. While small, it has a few flaws which have made it a less than ideal pistol to learn on.

1. My copy has difficulty ejecting a live round. It extracts fired brass just fine, but the extractor often slips off of the rim of unfired cases and leaved them in the chamber. This is a pain when you're shooting steel plates and he knocks them all down before the mag is empty, and you want to clear the gun so you can go reset.

2. The trigger is awful. It has been a source of frustration for my son as he's progressed and attempted to achieve tighter groups. He finally just gave up and moved up to center-fire handguns.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd gone with a Mark IV or Beretta 87.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Ruger 22/45 MKII Cool

Posts: 3509 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Ruger 22/45 Smile

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Browning Buckmark

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:

I agree 100%. Great shooter!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:

I agree 100%. Great shooter!

I also agree with this. Also if you like single action revolvers, a Ruger Single Six is an awesome choice.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sig P220 in 22lr. When you are done with it, it can be converted to 45ACP.

But we all know that you just need an excuse to buy that 180 you always wanted... Wink

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
A nice S&W 18-4 or older revolver. 4" of sheer beauty and a great shooter.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pick either a ruger IV, buckmark or a victory. reliable, good parts availability, unlimited options to customize, inexpensive (if you don't upgrade), easy to operate and scope (a red dot is a game changer when learning) etc....

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
S&W Victory 22. $306 from Grab a Gun. Just ordered my 2nd one. Great little shooter. 100% reliable with Federal Auto Match.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Ruger semiautomatic, choose whichever model you fancy.
This is a good choice. Youngsters wont have to learn the same as grasping a slide. Id go Ruger.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post