SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 Other variants to come?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Other variants to come? Login/Join 
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted
Handling the p365 the other day made me wonder...
This would make a fantastic full size pistol!

Slender, reliable (from what I’ve heard/seen), efficient use of magazine space/size and accurate too.

So, why shouldn’t this be the basis for a family of firearms, capacity would either be comparable or superior to what is currently available and the Regis would be quite good.

Any thoughts?

One issue that I could possibly see is that a larger grip may loses its integrity (for lack of a better term) being thin and long and possibly create torsion flex.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then, it would no longer be the P365.

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Nomenclature aside, it would utilize the same design principles.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Its original goal in life established, I think there's room for expansion. Doing something like the 4" XDS wouldn't be outlandish, but making a gun with a longer (taller) grip would intrude even deeper into the 320's dominion. I'm not sure SIG's marketing and product planners would like that sort of increased crossover; I'd think that they want it so a customer will buy both, and not make it more like an 'either or' buying decision scenario.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe eventually something not in 9mm for countries that forbid 9mm. But SIG can't keep up with demand now so it's going to be awhile before they can do something else.

SIG is making money on this and they're going to milk it for a long while.

I know people that preordered on Brownells are finally getting some that were ordered on 1/31.

I haven't shopped my local stores yet since I'll just wait for demand to die down. I have enough pocket 9mms for now.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a true G19 size would be ideal. I like a longer grip from control and mag ejection standpoint. It would be the perfect single stack “commander” size with high capacity.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.... but it is broke and they have fixed it and something else may be broke and they’re fixing that too...

Seriously tho, it’s the P365 and it has filled its role superbly and Sig has taken the Disney route with the 226,229,320 etc.... I hope they leave this one alone... aside from maybe a Legion P365...

Posts: 23 | Location: Central FL | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its original goal in life established, I think there's room for expansion. Doing something like the 4" XDS wouldn't be outlandish, but making a gun with a longer (taller) grip would intrude even deeper into the 320's dominion.

People have called for a single-stack 320 here before. Even if the difference is only one of perception, maybe it would sell. At the same time, if it fell flat on the market then it would do so without somehow reflecting badly on the 320.

Then again, I'm slowly mustering a diatribe in favor of a slightly larger version of the 225A1, so that could be just me. I understand the P365's original mission, but I still would've preferred a slightly longer barrel on both pistols.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like a Glock model 44. It will be the same size as the 43 with a 13 round double stack mag.

Scott Jens
C.H.P.D. (ret.)
Check Six Training LLC
www.chksixtraining.com

Posts: 38 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tackelbarry:
I would like a Glock model 44. It will be the same size as the 43 with a 13 round double stack mag.

That's called a Glock 26. You can put a 15 or 17 round magazine in it if you want.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know about the 26 and have a 27. The grip on the 365 seems much smaller and would I like to see Glock try to do their own version.

Scott Jens
C.H.P.D. (ret.)
Check Six Training LLC
www.chksixtraining.com

Posts: 38 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G43 was Glocks's single stack version of the G26. In fact, that's all it is; a single stack G26. Because of the commonality in design in the Glocks, The subcompact frame handles the 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig with a barrel change and different magazine; all fit. The G26 is the double stack G43; the G43 is nothing more than a single stack G26.

The P365 is smaller than the G43 and the G26. To go any smaller than the G43, you'd need a G42 and a move to the .380 cartridge. The concept in the subcompact glocks is very different than where Sig went with the P365; enough so with Sig that the design is a clean-sheet, and Sig designed the magazine first, and then built the pistol around the mag, to produce the results.

Glock did try their own version. It's the G43, and has proven incredibly popular.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
A 4" version of the 365 with an overall height of 5" just makes too much sense.

The 320 is too fat of a gun for CCW now that the 365 exists. Many people like to carry a G19 or M&P 2.0 Compact because it's a little bigger and feels more substantial than the little pistols (365/G43/shield/etc).

the 4x5 365 would allow for a slightly bigger pistol than the 365, but keeping it slimmer than G19/2.0 Compact/etc while keeping the capacity close.

When the 365 first came out, I started a tread requesting the 4"x5" 365...called it the 247 Big Grin. The 365 has created a completely new category of gun...the 1" wide double stack. I see no reason not to continue exploring those waters with more options.

The 365 is successful because it fills a need no one else has addressed. A 4"x5" 365 would likewise fill a need no one else has met to date.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: esdunbar,

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The G43 was Glocks's single stack version of the G26. In fact, that's all it is; a single stack G26. Because of the commonality in design in the Glocks, The subcompact frame handles the 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig with a barrel change and different magazine; all fit. The G26 is the double stack G43; the G43 is nothing more than a single stack G26.

The P365 is smaller than the G43 and the G26. To go any smaller than the G43, you'd need a G42 and a move to the .380 cartridge. The concept in the subcompact glocks is very different than where Sig went with the P365; enough so with Sig that the design is a clean-sheet, and Sig designed the magazine first, and then built the pistol around the mag, to produce the results.

Glock did try their own version. It's the G43, and has proven incredibly popular.

You are missing my point. If Sig can build the 365 then Glock should be able to build the same size pistol with 12+ round capacity. That’s why every gun manufacturer has their own group of engineers. But thank you for all of your insights.

Scott Jens
C.H.P.D. (ret.)
Check Six Training LLC
www.chksixtraining.com

Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Sigs full size offering is bloated and doesn't handle well... too me the 320 is somewhat clunky.

When I am impressed by an efficient design I want to see it extrapolated for other uses.

quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Not that long ago in the land of OZ, people clamored for a (micro) subcompact 9mm, striker fired, diminutive in size with a high magazine capacity, which had to be reliable and accurate. SIG listened and developed the P365. And some people want to change it already? Eek

The P320 fills the void for any other popular caliber.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
The P320 fills the void for any other popular caliber.

If not, Sigarms have wasted thousands of dollars in engineering and public relations.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

The 320 is too fat of a gun for CCW now that the 320 exists.

Right...

quote:
If Sig can build the 365 then Glock should be able to build the same size pistol with 12+ round capacity.

They do, and have, for over 25 years.

I have them in 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

The 320 is too fat of a gun for CCW now that the 320 exists.

Right...

quote:
If Sig can build the 365 then Glock should be able to build the same size pistol with 12+ round capacity.

They do, and have, for over 25 years.

I have them in 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.

I have the 19, 43, 27, and 23. The only one that is dimensionally close in size is the 43 with a (6) round mag. The Glock 26 is: 18% wider, 8.6% longer, 12.9% longer barrel, and 21.9% heavier. What Glock do you have that is the same size as the 365 and also holds 12+1 ?

Scott Jens
C.H.P.D. (ret.)
Check Six Training LLC
www.chksixtraining.com

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Guppy, if you think a G26 is a similar sized gun to the 365, you're a member of a very small club.

If they carry the same for you, that's cool man; however, for most of us, they carry dramatically different.

I would venture to guess a 14 round or so 365 with a 4" barrel would carry dramatically different than G19 too...hence why I'd love to see one.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by esdunbar:
A 4" version of the 365 with an overall height of 5" just makes too much sense.

The 320 is too fat of a gun for CCW now that the 365 exists. Many people like to carry a G19 or M&P 2.0 Compact because it's a little bigger and feels more substantial than the little pistols (365/G43/shield/etc).

the 4x5 365 would allow for a slightly bigger pistol than the 365, but keeping it slimmer than G19/2.0 Compact/etc while keeping the capacity close.

When the 365 first came out, I started a tread requesting the 4"x5" 365...called it the 247 Big Grin. The 365 has created a completely new category of gun...the 1" wide double stack. I see no reason not to continue exploring those waters with more options.

The 365 is successful because it fills a need no one else has addressed. A 4"x5" 365 would likewise fill a need no one else has met to date.[/QUOTE)

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post