SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Second stippling butchery attempt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second stippling butchery attempt Login/Join 
posted
Ok. First attempt went ok. I watched a bazillion videos and looked at some great professional work by real gun guys. They also wanted like 475 bucks which I couldn't swallow. Nice stuff though ceracoated and bordered, nice. I finally found a guy, SSVi or something like that who sorta described his technique for borders. Well the wife wanted me to brasso the front door hardware so it was a good time to pick up an assortment of dremel bits.

As you can see I should have done a better job of laying out some of the lines. Sloppy. Always next time though. I also left the index points and under guard checkering in a different style. Next time I would make the trigger finger index part of the same pattern and leave the under trigger guard stippling the same. I think.

Anyway, once my new gen2 fde small compact arrives this week I think I will try to bring it all together on one of my medium compact frames. We shall see. I made a holy mess that didn't go unnoticed by the wife. I may have to make nice before trying this again.

On to the pics.

That is Nigel P. Sherman admiring my work.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Both Nigel and I dig it !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nigel is the man. The dremel bugged him for like two minutes then he sat sat there coated in plastic dust with me for a couple hours. I didn't subject him to burning plastic fumes though so all is well.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Piranha(ish) look.

And it appears Nigel approves!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Looks grippy. I assume that is the point of the stippling that everyone does to their plastic guns? Do they come from the factory slippery? They always seem to look to aggressive to be comfortable.

Nigel rocks BTW.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that the 320 comes too slick. If it came as grippy as a gen4 Glock I would have little incentive to do this. I also have found that the Medium grip modules are slightly too big for me. That is why I started this experiment. I want to stipple a Compact medium.

It isn't as abrasive as it looks. It does make for a much more locked in grip.

I haven't found the stipple pattern that I love yet. This one works great but it still looks meh to me. Ideally I want to find a pattern that works and looks professionally done. I ain't there yet.

I am in the category of function first but appearance does matter to me. I would never try this on my Glocks at my skill level. I love the 320 because I have only played with this frame so far. 30 bucks give or take and I have two more factory subcompact grip modules that I can bring it back to normal if need be.

I have finally found small grip modules for my Compact. They still aren't grippy but at least I can wrap my sausages a little more around the gun which helps my grip.

Once small modules are easily found I will do some treatment to one of them.

If you like grip tape you would probably like stippling.

posted Hide Post
Nice work. I'm in favor of anything that will improve functionality.

No guts no glory. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty excellent if I do say so!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I think it came out nice. I do understand that your eyes are more critical. Wink

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I did a less aggressive stipple on my shield but I imagine yours is far grippier. The nice thing about doing it on yours is a new poly shell costs about $40 where as if you get sloppy on a different model you have to buy a whole new gun. Smile

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but it looks like you might have figured it out. Wel done.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post