SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New p320 x5 - What ammo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New p320 x5 - What ammo? Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a p320 x5 and took it to the range last weekend. The good news is that the gun appears very accurate, it's grip fits me well and it has excellent sights. The trigger is a disappointment (anybody that thinks this is a match trigger as I read in some on-line reviews has never fired a true match gun.) I really wasn't expecting a match trigger, but I do hope it improves somewhat as the gun breaks in.

The really issue I have at this point is that extraction/ejection appears week with some ammo; the gun was lobbing casings at my head. I had little black marks on my face upon leaving the range! Eek The slide frequently did not stay open after the last shot either.

So what ammo works well with this gun? - I am thinking it needs something a little hotter while it breaks in, and I have some NATO rated ammo that I was thinking on trying. By the way, this is my first striker-fired handgun.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the purchase of the P320 X5. I now have a few 1000 rounds thru mine, and it functions consistently and smoothly.

I understand that Sig tightened up the action on the X5 somewhat, versus the standard P320 series, but since this is a production-run pistol, some will be tighter than others. That appears to be the case on my X5, when compared to my three standard P320 FS models.

Some have noted that the slide may not fully return forward when the pistol is new, unless tapped or nudged. I had only noticed this to occur during dry fire drills when mine was new, never when firing, and that condition went away soon after I started using it. I mention this only because the motion of the slide during the firing and extraction/ejection cycle will oftentimes contribute to "brass in the face", unless there is a mechanical defect with the pistol.

One very important factor for smooth cycling of any pistol is proper lubrication, especially during break-in. There is a thread at the top of this section which covers that topic very well.

You did not indicate the ammo brand or bullet weight which you are currently using? I use 124 gr in all of my 9 mm pistols. I have had no issues with Blazer Brass or Menn 124 gr standard factory loads which I have used in my x5. I also load 124 gr for my 9 mm loads, and actually load them down a little from factory, and have not had issues with those in the X5 either.

I would suggest you lube it well (gun grease), do some dry fire practice for cycling the slide, and put a few hundred more rounds thru it. If it doesn't perform to your satisfaction after that, call Sig customer support and discuss options to rectify.

Good luck, and glad you like the pistol otherwise.

Doug

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Run a few 100 rounds through it before you get to worried about those issues. I got the pistol as soon as it was available and it was tight and a little finicky at first. After a couple hundred break in rounds it runs like a watch now.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Folks above have pretty well covered it - so I'll just second what they've said. When new, I put a variety of factory 115/124/147 ammo through it and it ate it all just fine. Only with some light handloads did it not lock back on last round a couple times. The trigger does improve, somewhat, with use and isn't bad now for a striker fired pistol. I'm using handloads now exclusively (light to mid level 147 grain recipes) and it's working just fine.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
I’m using Winchester 115gr Walmart specials. Ran 600+ no issues at all. Out of the box had to adjust front and rears to my liking. If anything trigger pull a little heavy but does break clean at 90. It doesn’t really claim to be a match trigger just a straight x series factory trigger...

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Many people feel the 320 X5 is oversprung for anything but the stoutest 9mm loads. That's why a lot of people put in an aftermarket guide rod and try various 1911 recoil springs to find one that works well with their chosen load. You may want to look into that if it doesn't loosen up with a few hundred rounds.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A friend who has one experienced anemic ejection and failures to return to battery. He found the Winchester 124 grain NATO load to help with ejection and greased the ever-lovin’ out of the gun with TW-25B to cure the return to battery problem.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always reach for NATO loads when I've a new gun. Sig or Glock, doesn't matter. Found it always helps cure bedding initial issues.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Mine has worked with everything I've fed it. I did have a few failure to lock back on an empty mag in the first 200 rds but have had no issues since then and the gun has around 1K rds thru it.

I've shot 115gr, 124gr, 147gr from Fiocchi, Rem/UMC, Federal, Winchester, Aguila and Speer.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Use mine for Carrt Optic. Springer solid rod and 14 lb 1911 spring.
Shoots 147 coated over 3.4 grains of VV320 very reliably. Chrono’s at 905 FPS

Only issues are due to me riding my left thumb too high and dragging the slide

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for all of your suggestions. I shot it again this morning with NATO rounds and it performed much better! The NATO ammo recoil is certainly more noticeable with this gun. I can't hardly tell I'm shooting it with my steel framed pistols, but with this one, I certainly could. Once its broken in, I plan on shooting mostly 124 grain rounds, but I also have some 147 grain subsonics I want to try as well....

Thanks again!

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post